No NFB line amp (GainWire mk2)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have made a temperature sweep from 0º to 50º and the alteration have manage to compensate the temp. variation, except for the input stage, 13mv.
ofcourse a sub mv variation is only possible with a dc-servo.

You should also check the ccs at input, the bias current changed from 4.5ma to 3.8ma with the temp. variation, I recomend another type of ccs.

What kind CCS do you recomend?

This one is good enough , only 18uA variation in 50º .

Attachments

• ccs.png
    ccs.png
    58.2 KB · Views: 594
This one is good enough , only 18uA variation in 50º .

I like that CCS type, kind of CM-CCS.
I did some more simulation and this is what I've found.
This one has bigger current fluctuation provoked by audio signal or power voltage change then BJT-BJT feedback type but better thermal stability and less temperature dependent distortion.
Does it need two more electrolytic caps? Without them distortion is a bit lower.
BR Damir

Last edited:
"This one has bigger current fluctuation provoked by audio signal or power voltage change then BJT-BJT feedback type but better thermal stability and less temperature dependent distortion."

The higher current fluctuation provoked by audio signal, is because the output impedance is lower than the ccs with feedback , but it is better than 500K ohms , so I think is enought for this aplication, the impedance can be increase a lot , by cascode bootstrapping the output transistor , but I think the added complexity is not need here.

"Does it need two more electrolytic caps? Without them distortion is a bit lower."

The electrolytic caps reduce the noise . And increase the output impedance a bit.

Some times I use this one also, It has the same output impedance, but as it uses a reference voltage I.C. the output current is the same with a higher range of supply voltages, I normaly use tl431 in U1, U2 . (R1/C5) (R2/C6) are important to keep the output noise very low, without this filters, the noise of the Tl431 is a bit higher , one can use lower noise references than the tl431, but I find out, that is no need.

Attachments

• ccs_2.png
    ccs_2.png
    9.1 KB · Views: 524
Last edited:
"This one has bigger current fluctuation provoked by audio signal or power voltage change then BJT-BJT feedback type but better thermal stability and less temperature dependent distortion."

The higher current fluctuation provoked by audio signal, is because the output impedance is lower than the ccs with feedback , but it is better than 500K ohms , so I think is enought for this aplication, the impedance can be increase a lot , by cascode bootstrapping the output transistor , but I think the added complexity is not need here.

"Does it need two more electrolytic caps? Without them distortion is a bit lower."

The electrolytic caps reduce the noise . And increase the output impedance a bit.

Some times I use this one also, It has the same output impedance, but as it uses a reference voltage I.C. the output current is the same with a higher range of supply voltages, I normaly use tl431 in U1, U2 . (R1/C5) (R2/C6) are important to keep the output noise very low, without this filters, the noise of the Tl431 is a bit higher , one can use lower noise references than the tl431, but I find out, that is no need.

Thanks for explanation,
In the simulation adding electrolytic caps does not change significantly the noise level. CMs are with high enough emmiter resistors to have quite low noise.
BR Damir

Noise from the power supply, if you feel that your power supply is quiet enough , you can skip the caps.

You mean PSRR?
Here is difference between CM-CCS and BJT feedback CCS(no caps in CM, caps do not improve significantly)) and there is not big difference, good enough both of them.
This pure GainWire with no power filtering and no ODNF.
BR Damir

Sorry the graph should be interchanged.

Attachments

• GainWire-diamond-mk2-CM-CCS_BJTfeedbackCCS-PSRR.jpg
    GainWire-diamond-mk2-CM-CCS_BJTfeedbackCCS-PSRR.jpg
    290.4 KB · Views: 504
  • GainWire-diamond-mk2-CM-CCS_BJTfeedbackCCS-PSRR-b.jpg
    GainWire-diamond-mk2-CM-CCS_BJTfeedbackCCS-PSRR-b.jpg
    471.9 KB · Views: 440
Last edited:
I decided to change CCS type as the CM-CCS has simple posibility to adjust the current by changing just one resistor and it is not inferior to the BJR feedback type.
Here are new schematics one with ODNF and other with DC servo. PCB could be used for three configurations, NOGFB, ODNF and DC servo. In case of NOGFB and DC servo P3 could be used as volume control.
NOGFB - J1 jumper connected,
not used U1 R38, R12, R36 ,P2 D1, D2, C9 and C10

DC servo - J3 and J4 jumpers, U1, D1, D2, R38, C12, C9 and C10,
not used R12, R36, P2

ODNF - J2 jumper, U1, R38, R12, R36, C9 and C10
not used D1, D2 and C12

BR Damir

Attachments

• GainWire-mk2-32_300-c-photo.LAY].pdf
    29.7 KB · Views: 148
  • GainWire-mk2-32_300-c-iron.LAY].pdf
    29.9 KB · Views: 140
  • GainWire-mk2-32_300-ODNF-c.LAY].jpg
    GainWire-mk2-32_300-ODNF-c.LAY].jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 559
  • GainWire-mk2-32_300-ODNF-c-sch.jpg
    GainWire-mk2-32_300-ODNF-c-sch.jpg
    320.5 KB · Views: 581
  • GainWire-mk2-32_300-DCservo-c-sch.jpg
    GainWire-mk2-32_300-DCservo-c-sch.jpg
    300.8 KB · Views: 605
Before I go for vacation I would like to show NGNF line preamp with very low distortion.
P1 could be used as volume conntrol(fixed signal/noise ratio), or use clasical input volume control. P2 to be used to set zero DC at the output(could comprises combination of paralled fixed resistor and trimer).
BR Damir

Attachments

• GainWire-diamond-e-final-sch.jpg
    GainWire-diamond-e-final-sch.jpg
    287.2 KB · Views: 524
  • GainWire-diamond-e-final-THD20k.jpg
    GainWire-diamond-e-final-THD20k.jpg
    228.2 KB · Views: 467
This is final version I am going to buld. It coud be configurated as NGFB, ODNF or CFA pre amp. It could drive easily 300 ohm or 32 ohm headphones, and a power amp of course.
BR Damir

Attachments

• GainWire-diamond-mk2-sch.jpg
    GainWire-diamond-mk2-sch.jpg
    238 KB · Views: 336
  • GainWire-mk2-32_300-e.LAY].jpg
    GainWire-mk2-32_300-e.LAY].jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 335
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.