• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

New Tim Mellows OTL project

^^ Nice! Make sure you fuse the cathodes. That tube can fail with hard shorts that can fry a speaker in an instant.

thanks, i have made provisions for that....
my main concern is that i only have 6 pcs of 6336 for matching,
not enough tubes to go by....
btw, i am sticking to the output capacitors,
with provisions for taking it out of circuit as option...
i am also making a speaker matching, 64/32 ohms to 8 ohms speakers....

wired up the heaters for all tubes and power draw comes down to 160 watts.
so that 80 watt power budget for the 4 output tubes add up to 240 watts....
that is a 100 watt lower than in the 6C33 case....

Attachments

• IMG_8280.JPG
    IMG_8280.JPG
    739.7 KB · Views: 348
  • IMG_8281.JPG
    IMG_8281.JPG
    552.8 KB · Views: 339
  • IMG_8282.JPG
    IMG_8282.JPG
    573.4 KB · Views: 328
  • IMG_8283.JPG
    IMG_8283.JPG
    547.7 KB · Views: 324
Driver tube choice

The EF86 IMO is a poor driver tube in general and its a bit mysterious to me why this tube is being used as such. Good ones are expensive, and they are not going to hold up if things go south with the power tube.

I think a better choice might be a small power pentode, since the gain is needed and the tube has to be robust. The 6AQ5 might do the job quite nicely and is far more likely to survive the voltages and currents that are required in a driver circuit!

The EF86 is a voltage amplifier that is commonly used in lower voltage settings- such as in the preamps of my Neumann microphones. I've never seen a circuit that subjects them to much voltage- the TM OTL puts them right on the edge.

So you might think about rewiring for the pin base of a common power pentode. 6AQ5s are cheap; 3 or 4 dollars on ebay.

EL84s are bit more expensive, but have the advantage of using the same 9-pin miniature socket, so might be easier to use.

And what about the EF184?

This was the driver tube of choice in the Graaf GM20 OTL which also makes use of 6C33 tubes. Used there in triode mode connected and not as a pentode.

Compared to the EF86 it has more gain and can deliver more anode current although much much lower than your recommended 6AQ5. But on the other hand amplification factor of the 6AQ5 is quite low compared to EF86/EF184. Isn't that not a disadvantage in order to reach enough output voltage swing on the grids of the 6C33 or doesn't that matter?

Your opinion?

Thank you very much

Burn in

I recommend 4 days and nights in Standby for a 6C33. This can double the life of the tube.

This only applies if B+ has not been applied to the power tube.

Ok and thanks for the tip.

So if B+ has already been applied once to the tube for instance for a short functional test does it make then no sense to do this?

And do all other connections i.e. anode, grid and cathode of the 6C33 need to remain open respectively not connected during this time frame?

Thank you very much.

And what about the EF184?

This was the driver tube of choice in the Graaf GM20 OTL which also makes use of 6C33 tubes. Used there in triode mode connected and not as a pentode.

Compared to the EF86 it has more gain and can deliver more anode current although much much lower than your recommended 6AQ5. But on the other hand amplification factor of the 6AQ5 is quite low compared to EF86/EF184. Isn't that not a disadvantage in order to reach enough output voltage swing on the grids of the 6C33 or doesn't that matter?

Your opinion?

Thank you very much

The difference of mu of the tube isn't going to affect things much. However, if the power tube arcs it can damage its driver tube and the 6AQ5 is common and inexpensive and also is far more likely to survive the arcing event.

Ok and thanks for the tip.

So if B+ has already been applied once to the tube for instance for a short functional test does it make then no sense to do this?

And do all other connections i.e. anode, grid and cathode of the 6C33 need to remain open respectively not connected during this time frame?

Thank you very much.

If B+ gets applied the preconditioning is over. In preconditioning jigs the other elements of the tube are traditionally tied to one side of the filament circuit.

Driver tube damage due to arcing

The difference of mu of the tube isn't going to affect things much. However, if the power tube arcs it can damage its driver tube and the 6AQ5 is common and inexpensive and also is far more likely to survive the arcing event.

Ok, I can imagine that a 6AQ5 is a more robust tube when it comes to arcing of the 6C33 but I wonder if part of the problem for this in case of the Tim Mellow design is also due to it's circuit topology.

In this design the anode of the EF86 is directly connected with the grid of the 6C33 with nothing in between as opposed to the Graaf GM20 schematic where there is a 220 Ohm grid stopper and a 1uf capacitor bypassed with a 470k resistor in series between the EF184 anode and the grid of the 6C33.

As such I could imagine that the Graaf GM20 EF184 driver tube then is prone to a much lesser degree to damage in case of arcing if at all.

Is that right or would you disagree with my assumption.

Thanks