New Stasis front end

check voltage across 33R in positive rail - expect something as 0V55-0V6

meaning Iq~17mA
meaning dissipation per critter around 0W55, with your 36-ish rails

if yup for all, heatsinks are OK, your digits are tender :)

Getting about 0V74 across it. Rails at 32. That would be about 0W73 in each heatsink.

https://www.mouser.co.uk/ProductDetail/567-274-2AB/

25degC/W, 24degC ambient, heatsink should get to 18degC over ambient, so say 42degC (the meaning of life and everything!).

Tender digits indeed...

dunno did I mentioned that, but I believe your build deserves and need dedicated thread

can't track what we spoke about changes and choices

I remember writing something, but tricky to check back

You recommended to check temperature on them and if I couldn’t keep my fingers on them, then I should increase the length of the heath sinks... We’ll figure something out...

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Getting about 0V74 across it. Rails at 32. That would be about 0W73 in each heatsink.

274-2AB Wakefield-Vette | Mouser United Kingdom

25degC/W, 24degC ambient, heatsink should get to 18degC over ambient, so say 42degC (the meaning of life and everything!).

Tender digits indeed...

just in case - you're having uni diodes in D1,D2 positions ?

1N4148 as I put, or 1N914, as in Papa's schm?

have you any way of measuring heatsink temp?

gun thingie or DMM with temp probe?

I'm not overly concerned, this just to check and forget

just in case - you're having uni diodes in D1,D2 positions ?

1N4148 as I put, or 1N914, as in Papa's schm?

have you any way of measuring heatsink temp?

gun thingie or DMM with temp probe?

I'm not overly concerned, this just to check and forget

The D1 and D2 in the FE are 1N4148s.

I do have an Aliexpress temp gun. I'll fire the amp up later tonight and check temps.

Thanks for your help so far ZM :)

buy either solid state relay , or hefty mains relay with coil for your mains voltage

industrial ones are cheap and will last years

I’m still trying to find a good way to deal with this beast’s powering on and inrush current, so, I ended up ordering 3 types of big *** relays capable of up to 35 Amps of constant load, ignorant me couldn’t really understand all kinds and variations of SSRs and ended up ordering two that unfortunately the output resistance varies according to the Input voltage provided, I thought that as long as I provided the Input voltage in the specified range it will just switch on, but no, they both have variable output resistances... Shame because I really liked the skinny one with integrated heath sink.

Well I may end up using the mechanical industrial relay along with some big *** inrush current limiting thermistors in an arrangement suggested by Ametherm engineers.

The fun continues....

IMG_1151.jpg

Joined 2011
Paid Member
If you're going to use a power transformer with 115VAC primary, and if its VA rating is less than about 815 volt-amperes, this DIY project might be a candidate

PCB: low voltage On-Off switch drives AC mains relay \ includes soft start .. H9KPXG

It's not a kit and nobody sells bare PCBs; you have to upload the supplied Gerber PCB files to a Chinese fab, and you have to order parts yourself from Mouser or Element14 or DigiKey or Jaycar or Farnell. On the other hand you don't have to design anything yourself, and you get loads of reassurance + comfort, knowing that many dozens of other diyAudio members before you, have built it successfully.

is that cap multi?

if you don't have proper final cap cells, you'll get meeeeeeeeew sound

been there, done that, eons ago

no free launch, all you can get free is lunch :clown:

no replacement for displacement

etc.

plenty of appropriate sayings

:rofl:
It is a Cap multi... What do you mean by "proper" caps?

Meeeeeeew could be music to my ears, I wonder?

I should invest in some caps like coffee cups?

PS. Biased at 165mV, heatsinks at about 47degC, offset at 0mV.