new SiC JFETs?

The 900V Cree SiC fets look like they won't be hitting distributors until October or so. Digi-Key shows Cree 1200V devices, Rohm (cheaper), ST, and Microsemi (both these vendors are pricey).

Mouser may have the Panasonic devices by now - I'll check and see.

Digikey has some stock of the surface mount version of the new C3M 900 volt part. It is in a new multi-pin package with the drain connection only on the base tab of the device. No mounting hole. Not very DIY friendly. There is an interesting pin on the Device for gate drive return. Kind of reminds me of current sense resistors with four leads (can't remember the proper term). Price is about $11 each. Part number is C3M0065090J.

Today is a big day for me. I am supposed to receive my tube of Cree SiC power mosfets today. They will go on my curve tracer for matching and to finally see the much sought after (at least by me) triode like curves. I have been thinking of building another pair of ACA's for my daughter and just might throw a few of the Crees in to give them a try.

Me too mine just arrived from Digikey so I will drop them into my partly built F6 to test the performance especially the frequency. Results later tonight.

I will be excited to hear how they do for you formantjim! This is such cool stuff to work/play with. I learn as much when things don't do what I expect as when they do (sometimes more). Thanks for sharing your experiences. Which Crees did you get?

That's a Kelvin connection, which is far superior to the usual package.

Thanks rayma ! I just couldn't pull that one out.... I appreciate you refreshing my memory.
It would be interesting to see some applications where the Kelvin gate connection would be useful. I'm seeing a lot of comments on the limitation of the SiC devices due to the package, especially thermally. I am thinking maybe this package may have an advantage in applications where there is appreciable Gate current flow in that that current would have a quieter way to return to the Gate drive circuitry.

Today is a big day for me. I am supposed to receive my tube of Cree SiC power mosfets today. They will go on my curve tracer for matching and to finally see the much sought after (at least by me) triode like curves. I have been thinking of building another pair of ACA's for my daughter and just might throw a few of the Crees in to give them a try.[/QUOTE

Package arrived. Mosfets put onto curve tracer and I compared the curves to one of the venerable IRFP 240's. Photos attached. The first is the 240. Much higher transconductance (expected) and pentode shape curve. Ma imum vGS of sweep was 20 volts. Horizontal was 2 volts per cm. Vertical was 100mA per cm .
Second curves were from 1700 volt Cree SIC mosfet. Same settings except for gate drive voltage was higher to put in same current range. Very different shape.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    879.8 KB · Views: 465
Last edited:
Today is a big day for me. I am supposed to receive my tube of Cree SiC power mosfets today. They will go on my curve tracer for matching and to finally see the much sought after (at least by me) triode like curves. I have been thinking of building another pair of ACA's for my daughter and just might throw a few of the Crees in to give them a try.[/QUOTE

Package arrived. Mosfets put onto curve tracer and I compared the curves to one of the venerable IRFP 240's. Photos attached. The first is the 240. Much higher transconductance (expected) and pentode shape curve. Ma imum vGS of sweep was 20 volts. Horizontal was 2 volts per cm. Vertical was 100mA per cm .
Second curves were from 1700 volt Cree SIC mosfet. Same settings except for gate drive voltage was higher to put in same current range. Very different shape.

Nice work mate. Is there anyway for you to plot the results in an excel graph and post up.