New Markaudio Drivers

I will leave this as is, as I forgot this is a MA thread.

My ears follow the thin red line you see in the graph. Maybe it makes me special, or not. I don't really care.

attachment.php

Attachments

• toolecurveGM.jpg
    toolecurveGM.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 1,696
I have windows on my mac too for just such occasions (actually only for Hypex HFD).

I just started a new thread. I can't get either software to hear the mic. It shows the USB sound card but there is no sound (the mac is picking it up in system preferences). Strange. Ill dig out my UMIK and see if that works.

I have a Mac, and no problem using REW.
It's written in Java, so it's cross-platform.

Sometimes, Macs don't like making sweeps in 48kHz. Try 44 instead.

If the Mac sees the mic, and has sound in at the Core Audio level, then it's a setting in REW that you missed.

Open the Audio Midi app in utilities. Select the input mic and make sure the sliders are way up. Do the same for your output.

My ears follow the thin red line you see in the graph. Maybe it makes me special, or not. I don't really care.

Well, that dark-ish 10 dB skew across the range would be quite comfortable for me as well. And I believe the actual response from A7MS is quite close to that red line (while A7.3 is more horizontal). My graphs were nothing to do with absolute precision as I'm yet to figure out all the proper techniques, they only were intended for quick comparison between well-known A7.3 and newer A7MS which is still lacking comparative reviews as I thought relative precision is good enough for that. I was (desperately) trying to make that clear but... looks like it did not work well enough.

Last edited:
The CHN50 is partly based on the drivers created for Stereo Magazine, but is not the same unit. I was peripherally involved with the development of the Stereo Magazine drivers (minor feedback & a handful of enclosure designs for the magazine to publish for each) so I know the design details of each model. In a sense the CHN50 contains some elements of both the Stereo Magazine units, but has its own suspension, motor & detail changes elsewhere.

They're fine in FH3; it was designed to be relatively flexible and accept drive units over a moderate range of tolerance. They will work in the previous pensil, but the 7HD has its own pensil design which would be a preferable option to the previous; with the exception of enclosures which have some tolerance deliberately built in at the design stage, it's better to avoid trying to use a drive unit in a box designed for another driver.

Last edited: