New Markaudio Drivers

Thanks for the replies Dave. It really does feel like going back home to diyaudio, lol. I've only gone through a couple of 7MS listening impression threads, but I haven't really seen one yet that compares it to the 7.3.

Would the extra effort of modifying the driver brace for the MS be justified by any improved sonic characteristics? Or if not improved, a fun change in character that's worth exploring?

After ordering the newish CHR 90 week and a half ago, it finally arrived, and mine arrived two drivers within a single box, so are they matched? I've just hooked the raw drivers to a spare Rega Brio R integrated amp I have lying around unused and hooked to a FM tuner (I mainly listen to analog music source) so probably the last person on earth who don't listen to nor own streaming music devices!
Without the drivers sitting in any box, I can't tell about the bass, but I'm rather impressed with the high frequencies coming out of this new model of this size! What would be a good box design for these CHR 90s?

I just changed to CHN50P which is paper cone version of CHN50.

Comparing with the OM-MF519 I listened before, the 50P seems a bit more natural and organic especially on vocal playback, mid-bass also more texturized.

Attachments

• ACA4BEED-9A5B-4163-A9C0-29579F6BA6F9.jpeg
    ACA4BEED-9A5B-4163-A9C0-29579F6BA6F9.jpeg
    167.7 KB · Views: 317
  • DF490EAD-A30F-4B3A-A5E5-D58AD296B04F.jpeg
    DF490EAD-A30F-4B3A-A5E5-D58AD296B04F.jpeg
    760.7 KB · Views: 347
  • CD786673-38F0-4E32-B60F-195A4F292EB2.jpeg
    CD786673-38F0-4E32-B60F-195A4F292EB2.jpeg
    514.4 KB · Views: 276
yes, probably more so than the A7.3 due to monoSuspension.

Given the difference in depth, a fairly thick spacer is all that is needed. Getting it exactly the right size might be a bit tricky.

dave
Another option which may be worth trying would be to fill the gap between the driver/holly brace with a product like Acroglas Gel which is a 2 part epoxy kit for bedding gun stocks. You would first coat the back of the driver with the supplied release agent before mixing the epoxy. If done correctly, the driver would have a perfect fit with the holly brace with no side forces probably resulting in improved sound quality. The driver and the holly brace would become one. The only downside of this process would be that it could be a challenge removing the driver once the epoxy cures. If this is an issue, I would try backing all the driver screws one or two rotations and play the speakers to vibrate the the epoxy loose. Another option would be to shove the speakers into the freezer. This will usually break the epoxy bond.

The parameters and chart listing below is captured from the store page also.
I don't see anything exotic in this driver. I see a DEEP at around 1100 ~1200 Hz (human voice) and at 11KHz also and a peek at around 15KHz and after that a "cliff". I think vifa's TC7FD04-04 have better performance, but maybe I'm wrong. Elias

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, it should go in reasonably, albeit how closely depending on your specific units -while they were designed to have approximately similar loading parameters, they are not exactly the same, and other than the basket and magnet, as far as I know, they don't share any components. The pensil type alignment, being a traditional type of acoustically large / efficient design, damped to semi-TL levels / to suit the system gives a bit of flexibility in this regard. So I stress that this should not be taken as an euphemism for 'it will go into any box designed for xyz'. ;)

Last edited: