New Markaudio Drivers

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I only have a few EnABLed demos left, but i do have stock A7.3, A7ms, a pair of P7HD but i really need to give them some listening time, P7PHD, A7p, CHN-110, A5.2, A6.2m.

For the stock drivers that aren’t demos, that i have them already in Canada and Canada Post so much less than shipping from the US it makes them worthwhile over Madisound. And i may be the only one in NA with A7.3 left.

Probably some i have missed.

dave

Disabled Account
Joined 2019
I experiment all the time; that's the only way I do it. I do simple sims sometimes but only using the free online ones. Clip leads are my friends; I do external X/O and any attenuation to start; that way I can easily try various values. Allow for this for any box volume. Most of my builds for only me I keep the X/O external. For others; I allow enough space for internal mounting and make sure to include all internal volumes that subtract from the enclosure. My 2 cents anyway.

Just a random thought.

Anyone here tried an alpair 7ms or 11ms in a no-baffle configuration like how the fullrange driver is mounted on a linkwitz lxmini with a tunnel with absorbing material behind the driver. And use a single subwoofer operating below 80hz for bass extension. How would they sound.

Staging should not be affected as frequencies below 80hz is omnidirectional (correct me if im wrong)

What would be the cons of this configuration except the power handling

Attachments

• transducer-mounting-1.jpg
    transducer-mounting-1.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 367
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Neither drive unit will make it unaided to 80Hz under those conditions; anechoic baffleless -3dB mass corner frequency is 200.87Hz & 214.978Hz for the 7MS & 11MS respectively using the published data. So you would either need significant EQ, or cross higher, as Linkwitz did.

Shouldn’t it be at a higher frequeny? What is the starting point of the dipole cancelation with a 122mmm wide circular baffle?

I have never been convinced that a baffleless OB driver is a useful approach.

dave

Shouldn’t it be at a higher frequeny? What is the starting point of the dipole cancelation with a 122mmm wide circular baffle?

Purely mathematical T/S derivation which assumes monopole conditions; additional cancellation effects from dipole etc. losses will kick in far higher.

I have never been convinced that a baffleless OB driver is a useful approach.

As the LF is concerned, neither have I. Sure, you can use multiple drivers, usually with copious amounts of power & EQ, but since it's about the least efficient way of using drivers in the LF I can think of, I generally find my interest goes off a cliff faster than Wile E. Coyote. ;)