New Lii-Audio “Fast-15” - anyone hear these yet?

@renaudagnes, wondering if you have any way to test the Lii Audio version of the Fast 15 for frequency response. You'd need an Omnimic or similar system and then to set it up outside, I think, but I haven't done it before myself. The plot on the Lii Song site of their version looks a bit suspect, as has been brought up in other forums. However, I read an interesting Darko post this morning (https://darko.audio/2023/04/think-made-in-china-is-a-turn-off-think-again/) that got me thinking about reflexive prejudice toward Chinese hi-fi products. Also, just because a driver looks wacky doesn't mean it sounds bad, and @norman bates driver, even though it has an odd appearance, may sound better. Hoping to get some comparison between these two somehow so I can decide. My priority is the highs and mids since I have a distributed bass array that has the bottom end, and I was leaning toward the Fast 15 instead of the F-15 because I don't need the extra bass potential and want more clarity on the top end. Having the plots of each (and being able to trust them) and maybe having a comparison between the two Fast 15's if anybody has heard both would be great!

I am sorry @Sinisterexaggerator but I am now in China since July 2022 and all the home lab was in France. I used to use the Umik-1. It's available here also on taobao (equivalent of Amazon), I guess finally I will order one, but for a week at least all the China is in holidays. After 3 years of huge restrictions, now people move a lot to see family or for tourism. It's impossible to order anything right now, for a week.

For you question of extra bass, I think you can install the speaker were you want and move it upside down: you will not have the position to test but at least 2 positions to test.

Last edited:
What a great Saturday.

IMG_20230429_181228.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
Received the UMIK-1 tonight. REW installed, calibration file downloaded and everything is ok for measurements.
@renaudagnes, wondering if you have any way to test the Lii Audio version of the Fast 15 for frequency response. You'd need an Omnimic or similar system and then to set it up outside, I think, but I haven't done it before myself. The plot on the Lii Song site of their version looks a bit suspect, as has been brought up in other forums. However, I read an interesting Darko post this morning (https://darko.audio/2023/04/think-made-in-china-is-a-turn-off-think-again/) that got me thinking about reflexive prejudice toward Chinese hi-fi products. Also, just because a driver looks wacky doesn't mean it sounds bad, and @norman bates driver, even though it has an odd appearance, may sound better. Hoping to get some comparison between these two somehow so I can decide. My priority is the highs and mids since I have a distributed bass array that has the bottom end, and I was leaning toward the Fast 15 instead of the F-15 because I don't need the extra bass potential and want more clarity on the top end. Having the plots of each (and being able to trust them) and maybe having a comparison between the two Fast 15's if anybody has heard both would be great!

Received the UMIK-1 tonight. REW installed, calibration file downloaded and everything is ok for measurements.

I guess I should create a github repo for it...

Here is the wood panel, thick is 40 and weight +/- 25kg

dimension planche.png

We plan to cut it with these dimensions:

dimension pour arrondi.png

It will be something like that :

planche arrondie.png

We also designed a cheap system for the feet in order to set the vertical angle easily. I will post the Fusion 360 schematics later (coffee time and then job is waiting).

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Thanks @renaudagnes for sharing the plot and your cool baffle design with all. Looks really solid! The low frequency suck out makes sense too, thanks for working that out and explaining. I've been traveling and checked out on this conversation for a while. Your plot has got me thinking how I might play around with this in my system. I have a miniDSP on the sub only at this point (and was trying to keep that out of the path for the mains) but I have two free channels to play with and could use those to parametrically EQ the Fast 15's as well as the subs in my distributed bass array and check the results with my Omnimic. I still have not ordered or considered a design for the baffles yet but have some great ideas from you and the others now. Again, thanks for sharing the work you have put in!

I have a miniDSP on the sub only at this point (and was trying to keep that out of the path for the mains)
I was in the same situation. For some reason I didnt like the sound of the mDSP and simply ran the mains "straight" through. I dont know why; tried replacing coupling caps but to no avail. I sold it and went to the Zoudio, serving as both DAC / DSP and power amp. I found its sound more to my liking. I suspected the re-digitization of the analog in for the DSP and I'm pretty sure if it was a USB DAC as well, I probably would have been happy with it.