New ideas for K-55 and PD-5V compression drivers

I should contact him myself also. Until my horn is finished I am left guessing. But soon I can conduct my own experiments.

I am having trouble getting the beginning of the throat right. I tried plaster, but it was too soft, so I will try scultping out a 50cm wooden log. I want it solid, but to have a nice tone. How about a complete birch tree, with bark and all. :p Maybe it is time to take that long romantic walk in the forest that my gf is nagging about.
- Why did you bring a saw?
- Don't ask questions.

Could the lowest frequency at 200Hz of the Goto S-150 be extended if I made the horn mouth larger but kept the curvature? I was thinking of just adding on the existing horn, so it would look more like a 2 meter deep, stretched version of the Avantgarde Trio midbass, with ~110cm mouth instead of 75cm.

With regard to extending the Goto horn you need to find out what formulation the curve is and then work it out. However for a few $$ you could attempt a crude extension with some corflute or rigid architectural paper.

I read somewhere that the horns mouth is what decide the lowest freq. Of course curvature also, but from the look of it, I could make the mouth a lot bigger, just by following the current curve. I will have fun with cardboard and duct tape and see if I can push my sirens lower. Maybe to 120Hz. Then I don't have to use the JBL 2204H 12" low-midbass speakers. I think it is better to go with a subwoofer driver that will play up to 140Hz good, just to be sure. I suspect a compression driver will do 80Hz okay sometimes and sometimes nawt.

I basically copied the Goto S-150, but somehow mine will be ~165-170cm long, instead of the originals ~145cm. I initially made the curve for the 1.365" JA-6681B, but these siren drivers seem more suited. The extra length will probably help to push it lower as well.

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I'll be interested to learn what you got out of that horn and driver. When I heard the big W.E. 15A used in a multi-way, it was high passed above 200Hz.

I've seen - but not heard - a big all horn system in Cyprus. It was GOTO or ALE drivers, I don't remember. The bass horns extended out of the house into the garden quite a ways. :)

I read somewhere that the horns mouth is what decide the lowest freq. Of course curvature also, but from the look of it, I could make the mouth a lot bigger, just by following the current curve. I will have fun with cardboard and duct tape and see if I can push my sirens lower. Maybe to 120Hz. Then I don't have to use the JBL 2204H 12" low-midbass speakers. I think it is better to go with a subwoofer driver that will play up to 140Hz good, just to be sure. I suspect a compression driver will do 80Hz okay sometimes and sometimes nawt.

I basically copied the Goto S-150, but somehow mine will be ~165-170cm long, instead of the originals ~145cm. I initially made the curve for the 1.365" JA-6681B, but these siren drivers seem more suited. The extra length will probably help to push it lower as well.

My take on this is that these drivers can be run from 120hz with a steep slope
(24db) highpass filter. The distortion would go down quite a bit with this
approach. The 24db slope filter does hardly cost any sonic penalty at this frequency.
For purists a tube active filter would be perfect, all others can
use a DCX or cheap Marchand modules, they are great btw.

This is what Goto Unit Shop Audio Laboratory Tanaka say about using twin drivers in a S-150 horn.

"S150W(developed by us)
S150W is a horn to enable to install twin drivers and shorten the length (30cm shorter than S150 with single driver) and increase the sound quality(more powerful and better trangent performance) please connect the win drivers in series to get better sound."

Attachments

• img107.jpg
    img107.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 297
Last edited:
So, perhaps plug and play, with a 17.5T Peavey magnet? Atlas won't say how strong the SD-370 is. I see certain differences between the design of the SD-370 and the FS100W. Do you think they are one and the same?

I too am very interested in this. They look similar but there are differences in the exterior. The FS100W has three vertical ribs on the exterior, and the SD-370 has only two ribs per quadrant.

The AS100N looks to be the current driver available from Atlas sounds and shares its exterior design of the SD-370.

So, perhaps plug and play, with a 17.5T Peavey magnet? Atlas won't say how strong the SD-370 is. I see certain differences between the design of the SD-370 and the FS100W. Do you think they are one and the same?
No Peavey magnet required. Plug in, hit play.
The only difference that I can imagine is the
magnet itself. With over 115db at 1W/m at 220hz there is definitely a rather
great BL force at work already. Trying to fit any new magnet structure could
very well be a step back.

Klaus

I emailed the guys at Atlas sound and they were extremely helpful. Here is their response regarding the similar drivers

I had to run this one by the old OEM guy .
Here's the reply .

" The Federal Signal FS100 (now obsolete) was an entire siren speaker, not
just the driver. However, the FS100 used a driver nearly identical to the
SD370 - theirs was manufactured by Korean company Sammi Sound. They later
acquired the compression technology from Sammi Sound and opened their own
factory in Danville Kentucky rebranding it as Alta Sound (later they stopped
marketing products under the Alta brand).

The Federal Signal FS100 driver is very similar to the Atlas Sound
(obsolete) SD370 driver

The Atlas Sound AS100N driver is very similar to the current Federal TS100-N
driver - both being thinner and using a Neodymium motor assembly while the
former SD370 and FS100 driver used an AlNiCo motor assembly.

In summary: All four drivers are essentially electronically very similar,
just the newer versions use modern technologies and rare earth magnets
(Neodymium) thus are smaller and lighter, an advantage when used in a
vehicular application where space is a premium."