New ideas for K-55 and PD-5V compression drivers

I am melting, yes. Arctic creatures should not have to endure 27 degrees C, three days a year!

News on possible spacer ring material:
I found 0.3mm copper sheet with adhesive on one side on ebay. This may not be 0.1mm but it was very cheap and soft and easy to work with. Draw a line with a pencil and cut with a razor. 3pcs 10x10cm 0 3mm 29ga Jewelry Making Pure Copper Plate Sheet Craft Findings | eBay

I will use it under the membrane surround, on the magnet side. Just one ring, because of the 0.3mm thickness. Then my design will only differ with 0.1mm from Dietmars trials.

I looked for a sheet without adhesive but it might make working with it even easier. The adhesive should go away with a little nail polish removal if I could be arsed.

Last edited:
Mica might be too soft, I like the idea of copper better, and that particular sheet of mica is a couple of millimeters to small. The voice coil of the K55 is 50.4mm.

The thickness of mica seem to vary between 0.04-0.1 mm, according the ad. That's why i prefer copper.

Last edited:
Back to my thought about wavelengths and if the sound quality is affected much by the last part of the horn.

If not, and if a square horn mouth is esthetically acceptable, it would make manufacturing of the horn a lot easier if one began with a high tolerance round horn throat, and then closer to the mouth, make it square, like an old edgar horn for cone drivers. I just want to avoid big lathes and nasty glass fiber with an everlasting chemical stench. Speakers should be made in wood.

Last edited:
Yes, that could work. The challenge will be to convince the missus to part with her precious aluminum pie-forms.
You got a missus?
She deserves a big hug for letting you fool with Audio on this dedicated level.
I can't complain either. I just wish we could move out of the city into the
wilderness, that would be great for this hobby.
I can imagine that Bear lives far away from any civilization.

Last edited: