New EASY DIY brushless motor

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi iain

i cant say i noticed much sound difference from the perspex platter and the metal linn platter ....although i would need sit down and compare for a few hours ...before i say for sure

the main thing i noticed is that the motor is almost silent...and i have heard that some brand new floppy drives are commin on much smaller pcb boards ...this is good for us

i mostly use old floppys ...but maybe i need pay my pc shop a little visit

any questions just ask

best wishes
j7
www.audioorigami.co.uk

Attachments

• small floppy fitted.jpg
    small floppy fitted.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 1,313
possibly iain ..i havent tryed direct drive

the floppy motor turntable just gone global with this link
http://hardware.slashdot.org/hardware/05/07/27/0341202.shtml?tid=222&tid=141&tid=137

over 20 thousand peeps visited my web site floppy page----before the web server crashed with the volume from the Slash dot org web site link

and since wedensday night over 22thousand peeps worldwide have downloaded the instructions on pdf....lol

its truely gone global now...and it opened up the old vinyl Vs digital thing

best wishes

j7
:smash: :D :eek: :hot:

Attachments

• small bearing has removeable bottom end.jpg
    small bearing has removeable bottom end.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 1,095
Hello,
Since my question does not reference floppy drive but hard drive I tried to contact Ouroboros in separate thread. I do not think he noticed it. May be someone from this thread can answer my question. On page 3 of this thread Ouroboros attached PSU schematic. Will this PSU work also with Hard drive motors? I have nice two motors taken from hard drives used in servers. Those are self-contaned units ( I have noticed in majority of HD, rings with coils are glued to the base of the drive's motor well ). Bottom part of the motor is threaded and mounted to HD base with a nut. There are three connection pins in the center of the base. I guess, the ground is connected to the metal base of the motor. Those units would make great TT motor. I can make nice metal plate to mount those motors to. They should have a good power too. What I need is just good PSU.
Thanks for the help !!!

The circuit I posted way back was for a 3-phase sine-wave oscillator, suitable to feed the inputs of three amplifiers (ordinary 12V chip-amps will do) which then feed each phase winding of the motor. Aren't hard-disk drive motors only 2-phase? (You'll need a quadrature oscillator to drive two power amps if that is the case). Also hard drives spin quickly, so the stator windings will be low inductance. I think that they will not have enough inductance to make the motor work well at lower RPM such as you'll need if you're trying to use it as a belt motor for a turntable.

There's oodles of information on DIYaudio.com, including information on re-winding and better magnets.

Personally, for the sake of cheapitude, I would retrofit the controller from a four-pole DC brushless motor in a 120mm computer fan. These are cheap ($10 or so...if you buy one new), reliable, and thanks to their PWM input, variable in speed. As an added bonus, the combination of more windings and 12 poles (that's what I found on my Nakamichi floppy drive) should vastly drop the RPM.

Add a rotational encoder and a $2 microcontroller, and you can regulate the speed via a feedback loop.

I came accross this topic on AudioOrigami and followed some links which is how I found it here.

Something I came accross in my surfing was the use of a VCR capstan flywheel as a turntable spindle with a high quality bearing but I can't find the reference.

Can anybody help? - IIRC it was mentioned that the platter rotated for over 5 minutes after turning off from 33rpm as compared to 50sec with previous bearing.

John

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
5 1/4" drive

I've just gutted a 5 1/4" drive and find that simply applying 12V across the terminals on the motor board marked 12V, GND made it spin (and in the right direction). I bodged up a strobe by connecting a high brightness LED to my function generator via a 100 Ohm resistor and established that there's quite a powerful servo locking the speed to 360rpm. The whole thing seems to be locked to a 787kHz crystal. The hub is 1.454" in diameter, so a carefully machined 45rpm step (1.5" for a 12" platter) would just slip over it, and the 33 1/3 step (1.111") could be above. Given that it's locked to a crystal, I think the only way of varying the speed would be to remove the crystal and replace it with a higher frequency crystal divided down by a programmable divider.

EC8010 said:
I've just gutted a 5 1/4" drive and find that simply applying 12V across the terminals on the motor board marked 12V, GND made it spin (and in the right direction). I bodged up a strobe by connecting a high brightness LED to my function generator via a 100 Ohm resistor and established that there's quite a powerful servo locking the speed to 360rpm. The whole thing seems to be locked to a 787kHz crystal. The hub is 1.454" in diameter, so a carefully machined 45rpm step (1.5" for a 12" platter) would just slip over it, and the 33 1/3 step (1.111") could be above. Given that it's locked to a crystal, I think the only way of varying the speed would be to remove the crystal and replace it with a higher frequency crystal divided down by a programmable divider.

Hi all

This is really a great idea this floppy TT motor!
I now am trying one to solve speed problems with a former modded DD TT.
I am redesigning my TT again, step over to belt drive. Took a Citizen floppymotor, it had the least play. But i couldn't get the speed varying electronically, so have to mount 2 speed pulley. Or have to swap 4Mhz cristal indeed. It runs on four NiCd batteries.
Now i am listening to it, a fine elastic thread for socks(!) is the belt, but it has too much slip. Speed is constant but not on the calculated speed, and the other day it can be different (thicker bearing oil)

Has anyone here a link to a manufacturer (in Holland??) who can deliver me a 2 mm round profile silicone belt, long enough to fit around the platter/motor pulley. I have one silicone belt but it's too small, it could fit when i turn a smaller drive pully under platter.

Thanks.

Brushless motors

Neat idea, I have messed with these for years and never thought of doing this. I have drive boards from hdd that have all the stuff for variable speed but they run at 7500 r.p.m. The platter hub would make a great support for a tt.
I have some motors from large robots: 120 lbs, BLDC, 22inch diameter, and 400 ft-pounds torque! They do not run faster than 100 rpm. I have found you can spin them with wind, water, ect. and get 220v three phase out of them. Make an absolute overkill tt base!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.