New DISPRE preamp, successor to previous popular version

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Bottom line is we should all expect modern source equipment (CD players, tuners, Phono stages) to easily drive 10k Ohms. The only exception is tube gear, where some products need a Hi-Z input.

I don't know why that sould be the bottom line.
I prefer a higher input impedance. Easier to drive and better frequency response. Anything from 25K to 100K is prefered. I think 10K is better suited for a "passive preamp".

I'm not positive but I think the input impedance of Q1,/Q19 and Q3/Q21 will support a higher input resistro than the 24K without any kind of problem. I wanted to ask to be sure though.

No. The main reason why I prefer 10k is that lower resistance of the volume pot results in less change of frequency response as a function of pot angle, and also the input stage is driven from lower impedance, which I do prefer as well. But, 25k is still acceptable. 50k would be to much to me.

Pavel, you're talking about frequency change on the output side of the volume control, correct?

I don't know ......
I prefer a higher input impedance. Easier to drive and better frequency response. Anything from 25K to 100K is prefered. I think 10K is better suited for a "passive preamp".

............. I think the input impedance of Q1,/Q19 and Q3/Q21 will support a higher input resistro than the 24K without any kind of problem. .......
the capacitance following the pot determines the frequency response.
Hi pot values demand lower capacitance and thus put a physical limit on the way the components are assembled.

Hi,
the input cap lowers the HF impedance seen by the input devices.
Some designers say that this low input/source impedance is necessary to maintain amplifier stability.
Maybe PMA would care to comment on whether he follows that design philosophy and how his amp reacts to source impedance as against source resistance.

Hi,
the input cap lowers the HF impedance seen by the input devices.
Some designers say that this low input/source impedance is necessary to maintain amplifier stability.
Maybe PMA would care to comment on whether he follows that design philosophy and how his amp reacts to source impedance as against source resistance.

Yes, and as I understand it also acts as part of an RF filter. I've seen this in alot of commercial products as well.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.