New DISPRE preamp, successor to previous popular version

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
For power supply voltage 2 x 15V it is good to use a small heatsink for BD139/140, but not absolutely necessary. In case you used MJE15030/031, the bias current would increase (lower Vbe) and hetsinks became necessary.

Regarding BC546/7 in older version of Dispre, I tried both and did not hear any difference.

Regarding the new version, I am evaluating not only BCs, but 2N5551/2N5401 as well.

PMA said:
For power supply voltage 2 x 15V it is good to use a small heatsink for BD139/140, but not absolutely necessary. In case you used MJE15030/031, the bias current would increase (lower Vbe) and hetsinks became necessary.

Regarding BC546/7 in older version of Dispre, I tried both and did not hear any difference.

Regarding the new version, I am evaluating not only BCs, but 2N5551/2N5401 as well.

so, i can use 2sa1837 and 2sc4793 too for replace BD139/140?
i have already for those toshiba transistor.

Hereby the functional sample. The DC servo not included yet. DC without servo is about 200mV.

Attachments

• dispre 003.jpg
    dispre 003.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 2,696
I have some new results measured on the sample. Schematic of the sample is attached.

Tr(10%-90%) = 168ns, regardless amplitude.

Distortion in audio band is according to simulation. I have measured HF distortion by Rohde+Schwarz FSP7 spectrum analyzer. Results:

100kHz/1V/50 ohm:
2H under measurement limit
3H ... -73.94dB

1MHz/1V/50 ohm:
2H ... -63.44dB
3H ... -62.46dB

The load was 50 ohm.

Attachments

• new_dispre_bastl.gif
    new_dispre_bastl.gif
    13.1 KB · Views: 3,080
www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Very, very nice PMA. I also like 'stiff' output stages. Per my earlier question, will you feed this from a 50k volume pot?

Ron's suggestion is good BTW.

Also, with a diamond buffer, I have had good results by elavating the output transistor bases by 0.2V by inserting a BAT54 diode in series with the pre-driver emitters and taking the output transistor bases from the 'far' side of the diodes. This allows the output stage to run class A but with output s/circuit protection (from Iomax = 0.2V/Remmiter). A lot of diomond buffers use a current source load (yr Q4 and Q9). If you use the BAT54 trick you can take these out for virtually no degradation in performance. Just use a resistor from the rails - I set the pre-driver current for 2mA with 0V input.

Anyway, great result.

:)

Bonsai said:

Also, with a diamond buffer, I have had good results by elavating the output transistor bases by 0.2V by inserting a BAT54 diode in series with the pre-driver emitters and taking the output transistor bases from the 'far' side of the diodes. This allows the output stage to run class A but with output s/circuit protection (from Iomax = 0.2V/Remmiter). A lot of diomond buffers use a current source load (yr Q4 and Q9). If you use the BAT54 trick you can take these out for virtually no degradation in performance. Just use a resistor from the rails - I set the pre-driver current for 2mA with 0V input.

Anyway, great result.

:)

Thanks for your suggestion, I will think it over.

Bonsai said:
PMA, I dont see resistor values for th efront end of your circuit.

Anyway, I took a shot at working out some values myself . . . . and can confirm th etopology gives excellent sim results. I got around .00018% at 2.5Vpk-pk distortion and circa 100nS rise and fall times.

It may be even better (distortion), just a question of resistor values and devices (try with BC547/557).

I am not releasing the resistor values. I will probably only send it with PCBs or completed modules as a documentation.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.