New ceramic drivers from SB Acoustics

ICG

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
So one thing that is kind of weird is that despite being ceramic, they also seem to use the standard 3-part construction. Cone, dust cap and voice coil former.

Actually it's weird any metal cone driver does this too.

Wonder why. I mean if I was going to go through the trouble of making a pure ceramic driver, I would at least eliminate the dust cap.

The reason is quite simple: These ceramics are made by oxidizing aluminium. They produce it like any usual aluminium cone and oxidizing the upper layer of aluminium then, which makes the cones 'automatically' composite layered. Another technique is to 'spray coating' it on, I think it may be named 'vapor deposition' but I'm not sure (sry, not a native speaker) and let it build up that way. So it's not the same as the membranes of the Thiel/Accuton drivers which are, to my knowledge, pure ceramics.

I mean, the idea of forming the dust cap separately and gluing it on is an artifact of paper cone construction, isn't it?

No, it got several constructional advantages. Because the dustcap can be mounted last, it is so much easier to center the voice coil and glue it on, that keeps the tolerances low. And, ofcourse, you can use the same, already existing production lines as for all the other drivers.

;) It is a ceramic cone or a ceramic coated metal cone ?

The latter. And I pretty much prefer it that way by far. Firstly, the breakup does not happen that explosion-like and secondly something like this can't happen:

11_705734.jpg

Hi,

Looks like the new SB Acoustics ceramic drivers will be used in the new Revel speakers. Revel - Future Products

They call this driver cone "Deep Ceramic Composite (DCC) cone technology".

The 6.5" ceramic driver has a cone break-up mode at ~9kHz, while the pure alu version has it at ~10kHz.

9kHz is good for a driver of this size, but as in the alu version to have it at 10kHz is simply amazing. :)

SB17CAC35-4
attachment.php

SB17NAC35-4
attachment.php

Regards

/Göran

Attachments

• 6SB17CAC35-4-graph.jpg
    6SB17CAC35-4-graph.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 1,746
  • 6in-SB17NAC35-4-Chart.jpg
    6in-SB17NAC35-4-Chart.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 1,737
Hi,

Looks like the new SB Acoustics ceramic drivers will be used in the new Revel speakers. Revel - Future Products

They call this driver cone "Deep Ceramic Composite (DCC) cone technology".

The 6.5" ceramic driver has a cone break-up mode at ~9kHz, while the pure alu version has it at ~10kHz.

9kHz is good for a driver of this size, but as in the alu version to have it at 10kHz is simply amazing. :)

SB17CAC35-4
attachment.php

SB17NAC35-4
attachment.php

Regards

/Göran
Are the SB17 range all the same below 100hz?(distortionwise)

"Sensitivity" doesn't seem like the right word.

It's really efficiency, sort of, because you are declaring that one watt of electric input results in a certain wattage (power) of output. Granted that's the opposite of what I previously argued.

Of course, if expressed in percent instead of dB, it would be a horrible sounding figure like .1%.

Or maybe "decipercentage"!

B.
You can't call it efficiency because you'd have to measure the power response of the driver. Maybe the cone is some sort of weird configuration that is its own horn, so on-axis the driver is super-sensitive. Then you'd think that the efficiency was very high, but not so - there's no sound energy off axis. So sensitivity works just fine - no need to change it.

I'm sure there are other reasons as well. That's just one example I picked for the sake of contrarianism.

I hope someone fires up a pair of the SB Acoustic ceramics soon. I am very curious as to how they behave and sound vs. the lower cost paper cones and the higher end Satori drivers.
There's a build over on PETT atm with a 6" CAC and ribbon tweet.
Interestingly, the 5" 4 ohm digs quite deep and has a nice frequency response. V tempted to try it with the Viawave RT850 when funds allow

They seem very identical, I doubt the ceramic layer is really of any difference - they appear surface threated to me. Ceramic is with colors, aluminium is in grayscale. $15 more under normal prices (the aluminium are now on sale at $39 each) with no justification is somewhat not my cup of tea.

Attachments

• Ceramic vs Aluminium.jpg
    Ceramic vs Aluminium.jpg
    384 KB · Views: 1,071
  • TS_Ceramic vs Aluminium.png
    TS_Ceramic vs Aluminium.png
    421.4 KB · Views: 1,058
Last edited:
I got a pair of the new CAC mid woofers. First test measurements were taken today. Bass goes very low for the 15cm woofer but IMHO it doesn't have so many ''colours'' as paper woofers. Midrange are superb and very natural with plenty details. Overall good value for the money.
I have made quick setup with SB21RDC and they play beautiful, one of the best budget monitors I have made.

Attachments

• THD PROCENT.jpg
    THD PROCENT.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 1,035
  • THD PULSE.jpg
    THD PULSE.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 1,043
  • SB CAC.jpg
    SB CAC.jpg
    210.4 KB · Views: 1,047
  • THD.jpg
    THD.jpg