New Celestion "AxiPeriodic Driver"

Do you mean that Paudio have copied RCF ? i'm shocked... why not copy JBL instead !
I'm not against RCF but i've bought a pair of relatively expensive woofers and the gasket was glued on the fixing holes :violin:
Oups...:mad:
Celestion drivers always impressed me on the build quality and their consistency, despite they are made in china.

;) That was just a cheap driver that looks somewhat similar to some RCF drivers > the top cap/terminals.

Celestion drivers are indeed very good and not too expensive either.
I have a weak spot for their midrange/midbass drivers. It's probably Celestion's legacy in guitar/instrument drivers and the special pulp compositions - often with carbon fiber - which is reflected in the sound.

Every manufacturer produces a misfit now and then.
Personally, I have good experiences with B&C, even though there have been some quality issues in the past.

Judging from PA folks, RCF quality and durability leaves little to be desired. I read some reviews of a popular 18" woofer.
One guy claimed he bought 10 pieces 8 years ago to put in tapped horns, which he had been scourging on average 3 times a week (peaks >140dB),
without any failures.
There's at least one minor flaw; the silicon on the surrounds is very sticky.

Last edited:
:D
For a woofer, its HF performance is surreal.

Attached is another image of the Axi2050 with the good ol' SEOS 30.
The SEOS fc is specified at 300Hz, but this may not be low enough to facilitate the low freq. capabilities of the Axi2050.

If you compare the Big Red Horn to the SEOS, some interesting differences can be observed:
- The "soft diffraction slot" in the Red Horn
- A relatively short "mid-section"
- A huge mouth flare compared to the SEOS.

The latter may be designed (presumably by using FEA, BERIM and other mathematical tools) according to the principle of "End Correction".

I wrote a post on this somewhere in the Beyond the Ariel thread, but here a quote from John H. Sheerin should suffice:
"Another factor to be aware of is that the acoustic length of the horn may be substantially different than the physical length due to the end correction. This depends on the shape of the horn mouth, but it can add around 0.6 times the diameter of the mouth to the acoustic length of the horn. In a short horn with a large mouth, this effect could be substantial."

I suspect, the very large Tractix mouth flare in the K402 - which accounts for about 35-40% of the horn length - is also an end correction of sorts.

Attachments

• celestionuk_17586709_197273594103652_5534814931473399808_n.jpg
    celestionuk_17586709_197273594103652_5534814931473399808_n.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 391
Last edited:
There's at least one minor flaw; the silicon on the surrounds is very sticky.

I must admit that the PA loudspeakers surrounds are sticky and we sould not touch them directly with our dirty hands in order to avoid any fluidic contamination of the latex matrix.
But i've got an enegineering question that bent my logic since years and is going iressistible to ask with the arrival of that large diaphragm compression driver.
In the cities where 80% of the humanity is living, the horizontal space is limited (X and Y), therefore the habitations are growing vertically (Z) and it is logic (there is no more X and Y, we must use Z).
In that vertical habitations where barely everyone seems to live, the horizontal space is also limited. With horn loaded loudspakers we must often deal with an opening angle around 60° wich gives a small stereo covering space and this is the real problem IMO.
The major factor that impact that covering space is the horn deepness. As a logic response to that problem, why not raise the compression driver exit from 2" to 3" in order to reduce the horn deepness by 33.333334% and logically gain a lot of listening surface ?

Here is the definition of logic in Wikipedia, where is going our world ?
logic - Google Search

Last edited:
And if you take a look at two of the accompanying horns, you'll notice 2 things:
1. These become impractical quickly
2. There's some resemblance to the Big Red Horn.

Attachments

• PC194_spec_Pagina_1.jpg
    PC194_spec_Pagina_1.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 366
  • PC194_spec_Pagina_2.jpg
    PC194_spec_Pagina_2.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 365
  • PC164_spec_Pagina_2.jpg
    PC164_spec_Pagina_2.jpg
    527.8 KB · Views: 111
  • PC164_spec_Pagina_1.jpg
    PC164_spec_Pagina_1.jpg
    657.3 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:
To get an idea of the size, this is an 1973 Community ad.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

In the early seventies, horn cluster systems developed by the company, including Leviathan Fiberglass Basshorn, used Elvis Presley (1971) on their tours, as well as Eagles, Linda Ronstadt and Earth, Wind & Fire.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

4" exit driver, Community M4:
fetch
These drivers are 229mm of deepness, it seems that the compacity haven't been considered by the designers.
This is the size of a tractrix 380, or a tracrix 400 plus a compact neo driver.

Community drivers and horns were way ahead of their time with respect to sound quality.
I've heard a few of their products (not the biggest horns, unfortunately) and these are definitely hi-fi approved.[/IMG]
It seems not to be gold plated exotic wooden expensive audiophile garbage, the phase plug of the M4 driver is very resembling to the Axidriver.

Last edited:
Community drivers and horns were way ahead of their time with respect to sound quality.
I've heard a few of their products (not the biggest horns, unfortunately) and these are definitely hi-fi approved.

Agreed. Another Community fan here.

attachment.php

Not me, but the owner of a club in Vancouver in the mid 80's. Not my install, but some buddies. The HF units had two compression drivers each to keep up with the single M4. Best medium size club sound I have heard to date. Vocals crystal clear no matter where you were in the club. Cranking it up for fun would have your eyes involuntary blink with the crack on the snare drum and kick drum you in the chest with those boxer bass bins. Great fun!

Attachments

• Community Sound.jpg
    Community Sound.jpg
    278.3 KB · Views: 717
It seems not to be gold plated exotic wooden expensive audiophile garbage, the phase plug of the M4 driver is very resembling to the Axidriver.

A lot of audiophool stuff is based on off the shelf - sometimes slightly modified - components in furniture or NASA (Magico) grade cabinets.

My brother wasn't impressed at all by the build quality of several G.I.P cabinets, despite their price tag, up to €350.000.
He, said my cabs are way better, both in construction and finish.
However, my compression drivers don't cost €25.000 ;)

A lot of audiophool stuff is based on off the shelf - sometimes slightly modified - components in furniture or NASA (Magico) grade cabinets.
My brother wasn't impressed at all by the build quality of several G.I.P cabinets, despite their price tag, up to €350.000.
He, said my cabs are way better, both in construction and finish.
However, my compression drivers don't cost €25.000 ;)

I don't say that i'm not foolish with my technical choices (even if they are dicted by the law of physics), and i don't want to be rough with people that loves precious materials (i prefer that kind of taste than the inverse) but you are alone with the red perfections (they are too big for me).
IMHO, an human that have a comfortable dedicated space for these kind equipement requiries more luck than money, or something else ;)
I won't judge your brother... i absolutely don't have any idea of what rich people can live or feel and what is their perception of the world, but it seems weird from the outside.