New 15" full range - FANE

yea, seen where on an 8", one cut off the whizzer. b4 it was fairly flat out to 15khz. After whizzerectomy, freq climb 1-5khz, then response dropped like a rock.

Now a dustcap-ectomy, assuming you don't need hf stuff coming off of it, a phase plug should help, or even placing a felt dust cap should eliminate a peak (say 4-5khz peak on a 6.5").

I suspect I'd have a tough time with the power response peak at 5k- sibilance might be driving perception of intelligibility.

The nice flattish impedance curve is a nice plus, single-layer coils aren't without their advantages.

I had to read that a few times, yes, there is a peak OVER 5khz, centered on 5.8-7-8khz. It is not an issue for me because of the gentle roll-off eq applied. Yes, it is a little bit hot up there.

Now a two-way setup has replaced a 4way in this part of my home. The time spent planning was well worth it. It is by far a much simpler setup, and this relatively simple 2-way setup surpasses the 4-way, one some areas only a little bit, and other areas there is a huge difference.
The treble does measure rougher than my 475pb, but the listening experience is better with the FC152. I am not going back.
Overall I would recommend the FC152 over any 2 way speaker that has to run 80hz up I have heard, because with only a few gentle considerations you avoid crossovers, and have better phase coherency, and pay a lower price for at the least equal, and in most cases a much better sound experience.

It is a very good driver, highly recommended.

Edit:
The response I posted was 5db/div, would look much better with 10db/div

Last edited:
I am still very happy with the drivers. Plan to try out some different amp configurations, and just use individual pre-stages for each and every output stage to easier optimalize gain settings. This driver is certainly best with no eq. Still running some gentle padding down at the top though.

... Maybe the best way to cool this in high power applications would be to have a sealed chamber, but the magnet exposed and sealed from the rest of the box in a pipe open to the surroundings?
Personally I have not been near tickling the xmax since setting up my boxes. "loud enough" is mostly less than 1mm p-p unfiltered, and "not gonna turn it up any more!" is hardly ever over 2mm p-p still unfiltered. Glad I broke them in with OB first.

Just brought a Fane back from vacation and put it in a PA wedge, listening on a stand. I think I need to add some polyfill as the wedge is sealed and a bit small. But I'm really liking what I hear. I have it crossed to a sub at 80hz.

Is anyone using a passive filter to tame that 5-8k peak, and if so, would you please share the values? I'm going to use this also as a floor vocal monitor and I have a feeling there could be some feedback issues in that range.

I am back to "no eq" permanently methinks.
So now the fc152 are run wide open, and my 15-400's are xo'd at ca 900hz.

Very happy.

If your box is too small maybe take out all the polyfill, add mineral wool, and then fill the space around the driver with polyfill to protect it a bit. Or go all out and use proper wool. I used open cell foam and some proper wool in mine.

Help!

Help!

Dave or whoever else has any idea about surface treatment of drivers!

Some small fingered creature has been near one of my FC152 cones.... Do not know who it is, but fairly certain it must have been someone visiting, my kids like to play quite loud, but they know better than to mess with the cones.

Got most of it straight, but the smallest whizzer is still a bit out of shape, the center cap and the smallest whizzer is made from quite thin material, and it's quite soft now on the molested victim...

Is it enough to mix 50/50 wood glue/water and just lay 2-3 thin layers on the cap and smallest whizzer?
Is there anything else I should do?
Will try whatever is suggested with one driver first and then do the other one when I'm happy.

.... You don't say.

It was always the plan, but the speakers are not finished because winter came along and ruined my workplace on the back porch. It's not happening until the snow is gone (might take a while).

The damage is done, we have some sayings here going along the lines of: "it's very easy being wise after things have happened" and so on and so forth. I am not interested in preventing an incident that has occurred.

Can anyone point me towards any direction other than the past.

Yes, I am counting on it.
Thought it might also be an interesting opportunity to have a look at surface treatment and the effects it may have.
I have the measurement mic, and "before" measurements.

Edit:
Reading up on this thread:
EnABL How-To for Fostex FE127e and other speakers

It seems to have gathered at least a fair bit of knowledge and references in one place. Digging around...

Last edited: