• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Neurochrome Modulus-286: 65W (8Ω); 125W (4Ω) @ <-120dB THD Composite Amplifier Module

Thank you.

<-120 dBc was my best guess at the time I started the thread. I based this guess on the previous version of the MOD286 as well as measurements of the prototype MOD286 Rev. 2.0. I'll have the final number towards end of this coming week.

I'll rerun the measurements and fill in the spec table once the pro assembled boards come in. They should be here early this coming week.

The professionally assembled boards tend to perform much more consistently than hand-assembled boards, so I'll focus my efforts on measuring those rather than taking more measurements on the prototype.

Tom

It's been almost two months past the "end of the week" now, I'm still curious as to whether this amplifier can achieve -120dBc THD as advertised or not.

Yours and audiosciencereview's measurements show that it has excellent performance for a LM3886-based amplifier, but -120dBc is a bit out of reach don't you think?

Of course it depends on how you define the conditions of the spec, if it's downhill and with tail wind and such :)

It's been almost two months past the "end of the week" now, I'm still curious as to whether this amplifier can achieve -120dBc THD as advertised or not.

I provided the measurements on my website within the timeline I promised. In your statement above, you seem to indicate that I didn't keep my promises. I'm curious how you figure that. Was it too much work to check my website before starting your little peeing contest? Would you care to elaborate or are you just trolling?

Yours and audiosciencereview's measurements show that it has excellent performance for a LM3886-based amplifier, but -120dBc is a bit out of reach don't you think?

As you can see on my website, I measure -119 dBc in a setup that I believe can be bettered.

I do agree that -119 is not <-120, but to change the title, I have to put in a moderator request. I can certainly do that, but figure I should get my measurement setup improved to ensure the highest validity of my test data before wasting the moderators' time.

The measurements of the Kit both on my website and on ASR are taken with the amplifier module mounted in very close proximity to the power supply, which causes a little mains hum. The hum is well below audible, but even at the -110 dBV level, it does impact the THD. Also note that Amir didn't actually measure the THD. He measured the THD+N.

Of course it depends on how you define the conditions of the spec, if it's downhill and with tail wind and such :)

What evidence do you have to suggest that I operate a dishonest business?

The measurements I provided on my website within the timeline promised were taken with the amplifier module mounted to a heat sink and powered by a switching power supply (2 x Mean Well SE-600-36).

My next project is to improve my THD measuring setup. However, it will have to be a back burner item until I wrap up my psychology degree. I'm in my final semester and want a strong finish. I'm not expecting you to care, because why would you, but those are my priorities.

Tom

I was expecting an answer in this thread, I understand now that was a wrong expectation and I should have checked your website before posting. I apologize.

I have no reason to believe that you run a dishonest business. What I meant was that a dishonest business could for example have chosen a lower frequency than 1kHz for their measurement where there were even more NFB just to get to a lower number. I am glad you didn't fall for that temptation.

Actually I do care, and I hope that you will finish your degree strong. If I had known I would not have pushed you on your timeline.

I think what makes me hold you to a higher standard than others on this forum is due to your slogan, "Engineering Done Right". It is quite confident, almost arrogant sounding to me. If it had been i.e. "Engineering Done To The Best Of My Abilities" I would not have pushed you on all these spec and measurement details. Perhaps it's a culture/language thing, if I misunderstand it, I apologize again.

-119dB THD at 1W/8ohm/1kHz is still very good! That's close enough so no need to ask the moderators to change the thread title for my sake.

Last edited:
I found your comments to be underhanded, which is why I reacted the way I did. Something along the lines of, "Hey... A while back we talked about getting the THD remeasured. Would you happen to have the measurements available?" would have elicited a different reaction.

I appreciate your opinion on my slogan/tagline. It's not in my best interest to be perceived as arrogant, though, as you point out, culture plays in as well. I'm not intimately familiar with the Norwegian culture, but if the Danish culture (that I grew up in) is anything to go by, I can certainly see where you're coming from. In North America, it's generally accepted to admit that you're good at something. That's not the case everywhere... :)

Tom

Then we are both familiar with "Janteloven". Although, thankfully, that "law" is not as vigorously enforced here nowadays as it was maybe a generation ago.

I don't have a problem with someone being good at some skill and saying they are, if they can back it up with experience and results. However being right on a subject i.e. engineering, I think is on a different level. To me it means one is infallible, that one knows everything there is to know and never makes mistakes.

Acknowledging that I don't always get my English right (pun intended), I looked it up at Right | Definition of Right by Merriam-Webster
In addition to my expectation that it means "correct", when used as an adverb it can also mean "in a suitable, proper, or desired manner". That sounds a lot better, and might be what you intended.

Maybe it's enough on this topic in this thread? It's perhaps better suited for the lounge or PM.

Then we are both familiar with "Janteloven". Although, thankfully, that "law" is not as vigorously enforced here nowadays as it was maybe a generation ago.

Exactly what I was thinking of. While the enforcement might have changed over time, I seem to bump into it every time I go to visit family. Oh, well. As you point out, that's probably a topic better suited for a discussion via PM.

In addition to my expectation that it means "correct", when used as an adverb it can also mean "in a suitable, proper, or desired manner". That sounds a lot better, and might be what you intended.

That's more in line with what I had in mind. Engineering done well.

Some have perceived the "right" in LM3886 Done Right to mean that all other implementations are wrong. That's not my intent either. Some implementations are certainly deficient in many ways. I designed my implementation to provide the best performance I know how to get. To me that's doing it right.

Oh, well. This is why large corporations have teams to come up with slogans and test them through market surveys before committing to one. Thanks for the reminder that I need to do that for my next endeavour.

Tom

So a Norwegian would say:

Engineering :: Done :: Well :: Pretty :: OK :: But :: I :: Won't :: 100% :: Guarantee :: That :: Others :: Don't :: Do :: It :: As :: Well :: Or :: Maybe :: A :: Little :: Bit :: Better :: Than :: Me

????

Also "Engineering Done Right" doesn't mean that Tom's stuff is the one and only way to do it. I take it to mean that he's actually doing competent engineering and not winging it as so much of the audio world does.

So a Norwegian would say:
Also "Engineering Done Right" doesn't mean that Tom's stuff is the one and only way to do it. I take it to mean that he's actually doing competent engineering and not winging it as so much of the audio world does.

+100. :worship: Amen to that!

I don’t mind people protesting, in fact, I encourage it! But it is poor taste and not constructive to attack those who try their very best to exude fine engineering practice instead of attacking those others who are merely charlatans in this line of business.

Best,
Anand.

Yeah... In general you catch more flies with honey than vinegar.

In other news. The first batch of preordered Modulus-286 Kit (Limited Edition) will be underway by tomorrow. The first will arrive Wednesday (says DHL). I guess that means I should wrap up the assembly guide one of these days. :)

Tom

Attachments

• IMG_0294.jpg
    IMG_0294.jpg
    385.9 KB · Views: 415
So, am I gonna hafta rebuild #2/28 ;) ? and I thought she was working like a charm so far. Might even get to "torture test" it with my demo tracks playlist over the next few days - you know, the John Denver, Englebert Humperdinck and Carpenters greatest hits collections, with a little Bread and Osibisa thrown in for good measure.

your guess as to which of the above were never in my vinyl collection.

and a true blooded Canuck would apologize with "sorry, but I did the best I could" - you know like the Avro Arrow and Canada-arm. :eek: - now those were some Engineering Done (pretty OK), Right?

Last edited:
So, am I gonna hafta rebuild #2/28 ;) ?

Well... Yours and the one in Amir's (ASR) hands were unique snowflakes. As is the one currently driving one of my LXmini. The other 'mini is driven by a MOD686.

Might even get to "torture test" it with my demo tracks playlist over the next few days - you know, the John Denver, Englebert Humperdinck and Carpenters greatest hits collections, with a little Bread and Osibisa thrown in for good measure.

Nice. I let Bela Fleck's Cosmic Hippo fly through and have found a Santana cover of While my Guitar Gently Weeps featuring Yo-Yo Ma and other strong talents. Holy crap!! In addition to the usual suspects (Dire Straits, Mark Knopfler, Eric Clapton), which will surprise exactly no-one who's followed me for any length of time.

Tom

Since that was a YouTube link, I’ll have to share that I’m spending an almost unhealthy amount of time there these days, and have been having a lot of fun with the in store videos from Norman’s Rare Guitars. Sound quality is clearly not state of the art, but the playing is organic, relaxed, and sometimes downright stunning - and in many cases on instruments older than some of the younger musicians parents.

So, just clicked on that link - yeah, those old guys can still manage to stumble through a nice easy slow ballad like this one. ;) Pretty nice vocalizing/ dancing as well.

Last edited:
Review of 286 kit

Hi folks, I just received my 286 kit from Tom. I will be building and testing the kit over the next few posts. I've been a forum member for some time, but don't normally post here. I'm a musician and guitar builder so I spend most of my on-line time over at Unofficial Warmoth. If I do something that's not the norm, please let me know. Now on with the show! Here's the box that you get from Tom:

Attachments

• IMG_3657.JPG
    IMG_3657.JPG
    94.8 KB · Views: 320