Need help with crossover for Phenomax midwoofer and 3/4" Revelator

I wasn't nuts. Here's what I get
fr.jpg

phase looks good, though based only off the pdf data....

Maybe compare the files I used attached

Attachments

• 15WD2104.zip
    17.9 KB · Views: 24
As far as I know people used the FRD consortium's programs to do this.

FRD Consortium

the baffle diffraction simulator and FRD combiner or something.

Those are only available on the waybackmachine archive thing linked above.

Then again the thread that details speaker design without measurements must also have a way of doing this. I'd read that thread and see what it talks about. I haven't given a huge amount of attention to crossover design without measurements, as I simply measure everything I build, but adding diffraction and simulating/creating a decent phase response for the two drivers is vital to a good design.

I see the markings are log but what made no sense to me is that counting from zero there are 4 spaces to the 4 ohm mark, 10 to the 8 ohm mark, and 16 to the 16 ohm mark. I cannot use the 4 ohm mark as a border because the impedance dips below that. I'm sure there's a way to do it I just don't know how lol. It's been a long day. I will use your data.

I should probably post this in the fpgraphtracer thread. But this is what I'm doing and it still ends up being quite different than yours. Changes the response quite dramatically. I also tried setting lower limit at zero and inputting .0001 ohms (as setting zero gives an error) and it's even worse.

Attachments

• fpggraphtrace.png
    fpggraphtrace.png
    392.3 KB · Views: 47
your lower bar is not "1" - ignore all horizontal lines except the explicitly marked values, e.g. 4ohm

well, thanks, experiment also with say a 2.5k xo point, and tweaking the right-hand curve overall down a little (most people prefer a small-ish tilt down towards higher frequencies)

I realize that the lower bar is not 1. But the only other options I have are 0 and 4. 4 won't work. 0 wont work. 0.0001 wont work!

Anyways. I used the late Jeff Bagby's baffle diffraction spreadsheet to have a look at the baffle step in my cabinet and added a baffle step circuit. It of course caused changes in the response so I had to change a lot of the values. The 4.5khz resonance is still there but it's 25db down so I'm thinking won't be audible. The crossover point is 2khz but the slope looks like near 4th order acoustic to me so I'm happy with that.

Edit: I left the slight rise in tweeter response on purpose. I'm not afraid to leave a slight "v' curve in the response. But I can easily tilt it down by adjusting C3.

Attachments

• Untitled111.png
    Untitled111.png
    175 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Well that did it. Knocked out the woofer resonance. What did you do?

I changed C5 to 2.7uF to bring the x-over frequency from 1.8khz to 2.2khz and to increase the tweeter slope from 16 up to about 20db/octave. Also added in BSC which required adjusting R3 and C3. The rest of the values I left as you set them. Thanks!!

Attachments

• Untitled222.png
    Untitled222.png
    169.9 KB · Views: 43
Last edited: