Near full range BMR (Balanced Mode Radiator)

Since you mention the Satori, do have a look at their SB65 wide ranger.

It works well down to 300Hz (below that, distortion rises sharply) and has a very wide dispersion higher up, that challenges some tweeters.

It is gorgeous reproducing strings and percussion instruments.

It does need some break in time to clean up, but no where near the 500 hours recommended for MA drivers.

@percevalm, thanks, so how many in an array to make it worthwhile?

I thought (in my very limited knowledge) that although you wouldn't get a full floor to ceiling line array, the notion of doubling drivers, would half distortion, and overall increase SD, with such tight centre to centre spacing having a few units would still act similar to a point source single larger driver.

Doubling is fine. Look at the Nola Brio. Very fine little speaker.

It could also be one drive on the front baffle, one driver firing from behind.

But 5 drivers in an array shape is not a good idea, unless there's some sort of XO between them, as in WWMMT, and variations of.

Looking nice. Are the side drivers wired as bipolar or dipolar? How do they sound and how close to your seating?

Sorry Jeff, I missed your post, this is how they look but I’m probably going to make a nicer mk2 version in white.
I have a pair of drivers on the front & one each side, they are wired series parallel for 4ohm nominal load & all in phase.

I’m really pleased with the result, very subtle & diffuse surround effect, they draw much less attention to themselves than the MKsound tripole speakers they have replaced but still give a great “surround bubble” effect, I’d like to swap my atoms speakers for BMR’s but I may cheat & grab a couple of white Cambridge Audio minx22’s 2nd hand at some point.

Attachments

• 804AA925-BD4F-470B-BF2D-3999F3533265.jpg
    804AA925-BD4F-470B-BF2D-3999F3533265.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 423
Makes me wonder how low it goes and how loud with moderate distortion. The TL exit area is not huge, neither the midrange membrane...

It would be nice to read that this thing breaks the laws of physics!

So, it's a 3-way and this might be BMR (+tweeter's) response in nearfield

Quality-Assured_for-web-1800x900.jpg

Attachments

• node.jpg
    node.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 448
Last edited:
Frequency response in their spec page.

I bet those cabs are over £4k to print and some long days of design, not your average box.

Have you seen how the front sealed cabinet bolts onto the woofers magnet?

Based in Cambridge, maybe we can send Derek, to go an evaluate, I wonder how they would compare to his original Manger based Overkill Audio set up?

Frequency response in their spec page.

Yep, and kinda weird that it starts beaming at 3kHz, when all they talk about on the page is how wide the dispersion is....

Makes me wonder how low it goes and how loud with moderate distortion. The TL exit area is not huge, neither the midrange membrane...

It would be nice to read that this thing breaks the laws of physics!

Indeed!

Based in Cambridge, maybe we can send Derek, to go an evaluate, I wonder how they would compare to his original Manger based Overkill Audio set up?

I heard them at last year's UK North West Audio Show and they sounded very good, given the size of room. Good bass and a strong image. The designers are very enthusiastic and they've put some genuinely innovative thinking into the loudspeaker.