My DIY Horn setup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined 2008
Paid Member
j Horn

Aha! I think this is it?
Horns

Impressive looking, and much larger than I expected just looking at PMA's pictures, BUT:

What are the specifications for said horns, like:
Flare rate
Gain
Upper response limit ?

a JMLC 350 can not be used down to 350Hz; I don't know the rules for L'Cleach
and since you are DSP'ing, the one octave overlap rule probably does not apply either.

My system pretty much uses the same configuration, but with different twists on the major "theme". For example, I use an analogue active crossover, and infinite baffle sub-bass. My slot loaded PPSL mid bass, really should have a mid-bass horn coupled to the slot, like it was designed for.
In this manner an all horn wave-launch similarity can be maintained, just like
yours already is.

I love the view from your listening room window :)

I use a GroundSound DCN28.

Hi PMA, I know Robert from Groundsound and actually have a DCN 28 on hand that I borrowed from him, to try it out.

It will replace my DCX 2496 and then I´ll see if it makes a difference. I like the DCX very much and can´t hear any artifacts. I think that maybe it is in the DSP logarithm the main difference will be. And maybe better resolution.

Impressive looking, and much larger than I expected just looking at PMA's pictures, BUT:

What are the specifications for said horns, like:
Flare rate
Gain
Upper response limit ?

a JMLC 350 can not be used down to 350Hz; I don't know the rules for L'Cleach
and since you are DSP'ing, the one octave overlap rule probably does not apply either.

My system pretty much uses the same configuration, but with different twists on the major "theme". For example, I use an analogue active crossover, and infinite baffle sub-bass. My slot loaded PPSL mid bass, really should have a mid-bass horn coupled to the slot, like it was designed for.
In this manner an all horn wave-launch similarity can be maintained, just like
yours already is.

I love the view from your listening room window :)

I have no more information than what's posted on their site. It's a slightly modified copy of an old JBL horn, only a bit longer. I use it from 130-650hz.

Like you said, the JMLC is crossed over about one octave above the physical rolloff of the horn, which is a good rule of thumb when using any mid and high horn.

Hi PMA, I know Robert from Groundsound and actually have a DCN 28 on hand that I borrowed from him, to try it out.

It will replace my DCX 2496 and then I´ll see if it makes a difference. I like the DCX very much and can´t hear any artifacts. I think that maybe it is in the DSP logarithm the main difference will be. And maybe better resolution.

It's a very capable tool. I only use it manually, no automatic corrections. It's dead quiet and also has the possibility of running a 4-way system, as opposed to many other dsp boxes around...

And then, it was finished.

307988d1424978917-horny-kid-dsc_0333.jpg

The signal chain is as follows:

All channels have the same source/dac/pre/DSP.

- Vortexbox based streamer server
- USB/SPDIF converter
- Groundsound DCN28 4-way active crossover and DSP.

Output 1 & 5: balanced output from DCN28 to Profusion ALC1000/1300 monoblock - SLOB / 8pcs GPA 515C16
Output 2 & 6: balanced output from DCN28 to Accuphase A-45 - J-horn / GPA 515C8
Output 3 & 7: balanced output from DCN28 - unbalanced cable to DIY First Watt F5 with CLC, dual mono PSU - series cap for safety - ALE 4550 and JMLC350
Output 4 & 8: balanced output from DCN28 - unbalanced cable to DIY First Watt F5 with CLC, dual mono PSU - series cap for safety - ALE 1710

They days are now spent listening to music and trying to balance\voice the system. I find the hardest part to be getting the exact right amount of bass. Every system needs a boost of the lower octaves, but the question is where to start the gain and how much is needed to get the right PRAT, omph and warmth without covering the mid range and having the sound become too "boxy".

I have started sketching some bigger midbass horns using two 12" drivers instead of one 15", just to see what the future might bring. I'm also implementing some acoustic measures in the room to improve the soundstage.

Wonderful. As only critique point, i would paint the lower midrange horn black matt as well. The contrast black / white looks strange......

I use also 3 x 15" woofers per side. I love it.

What is the difference of the previous sub bass with 3 15", to slot loading ?
specially in regard of dispersion pattern of the bass ?

The difference is quite big. The physical impact of the bass is very much improved by the slot loading, even though a tight slot takes some of the system sensitivity.
The bottom end is also deeper than earlier.

There is a plan for a different midbass horn, we'll se about the color then ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.