mutting transistors on the output of Marantz cd40 help!!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I already try to go backward, without result. Im affraid 7310 or 7220 are damaged. Ir would be hard to find the problem. I cant localise where the smoke came from. I will try to change the laser unit, but im affraid that wont gave me much, in a worst case i can ruin the next laser.

Hey Goran

That's really a bad news you fried the RAM.
You better find another cd-40 or something with 1541A.

I'm still like to get this Philips cd-200 for 100 Euro but I just cant do that right now.

Attachments

• 8175_1_big.jpg
    8175_1_big.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 90
I already try to go backward, without result. Im affraid 7310 or 7220 are damaged. Ir would be hard to find the problem. I cant localise where the smoke came from. I will try to change the laser unit, but im affraid that wont gave me much, in a worst case i can ruin the next laser.

You can eliminate the 7220 if you go NOS, so you can find out if the 7220 is fried. then you need the clock on 7310.
It would be good to know where the smokes came from.

Goran - we feel your pain - it's very sad.

Did you make a short circuit somewhere ?
No signs of heat or burning ?

You have spent a long time with this baby but you now have lots of new knowledge and...all the parts to mod another C40 very quickly to the level you were at... before the big bang.

It will be easy for you once you recover from the shock:crying:

Maybe this can cheer you up !!

Arrived at lunchtime and now........lights !!

Was crying and now I'm laughing !!

Thank you so much Goran

Nice boaard you have there :)
What is the value of your trim-pot? Is it 5K? I didnt had such a problem and i was using the same board. Maybe try with green led. Or decrease the input voltage. Anyway when you will connect it to SAA7220 the voltage will drop.

Goran - we feel your pain - it's very sad.

Did you make a short circuit somewhere ?
No signs of heat or burning ?

You have spent a long time with this baby but you now have lots of new knowledge and...all the parts to mod another C40 very quickly to the level you were at... before the big bang.

It will be easy for you once you recover from the shock:crying:

I dont think i made a short circuit.....thatway im confused what happened. From the bottom side of the board i found a burned traces wich lead from saa7310 to ground. Probably that was the reason for the smoke. I think 7310 is burned up. All voltages are ok, when ill have more time ill search for the problem, wont gave up for sure :)
Now im thinking to mod my PD6500, i downloaded the service manual so we'll see.
Its on you to go on with this thread for some time ;)
Ill be here to help.

regards

Hi Goran

It is a nice board - very happy

The input voltage is at 17.4 volts ac but the 5K trimmer only rotates once.
You suggested multi turn 5K trimmer - the mistake has been made here.
I'll have a new multi turn here tomorrow and will change this straight away.
I hope it works but if not I'll give it 15 volts and see what happens - is this OK ?
Will a green LED make much difference ?

Any ideas why my other machine clicks and pops half way through a cd ?
It's fine for 6 tracks and then it clicks and pops a lot until it won't read anymore.

Confused again !!

Andrew

Decrease the voltage and check if trimmer is ok, you should connect the 2 poles, (middle and the last one together to the ground) but im sure you already did that. The multiturn trim wont solve the problem, but it will be good to have it so you can adjust the voltage very precise.
Again, decrease the AC voltage on the input, remember you are testing it without load. Fix it on 5V then connect it to SAA7220, the voltage will drop, so you have to adjust it again very carefully to not go over 5V, thatway multiturn trimm is a good a option.

Hi

Thanks for the tips - I'll try them all.

No, I'm not touching the good machine !!
I've broken the modding machine - the one in the pics I sent on e mail.

Plays the first half of the discs great and then the last half is crap - the music stops an starts fast but it keeps time. Like turning the volume up and down very fast - know what I mean ?

No separate regs to 7310 or ram - I took them off - only 7220 has own power.
I changed the caps around the DAC to 330nf and the MSB is 1 uf and .47 uf tants.

Can 330 nf make timing error or bit errors I wonder ?
Some people put much bigger caps than this on TDA

No more ideas from me - I almost give up !!

Andrew

Hi

I tried 13 volts ac and I get 5.5v dc out minimum ( no load )
Maybe multi turn will do it.
I checked all my joints and connections and they are all fine.
I can wind it up to 10 volts dc so the trimmer is working and can only be installed one way on the board.

I just loaded it and get adjustment under 5v = result :)

Before I fire it up properly do I need insulating pads between BD139 and heatsink ?
Apologies if that's a stupid question:eek:

Andrew

Hi Goran

It is a nice board - very happy

The input voltage is at 17.4 volts ac but the 5K trimmer only rotates once.
You suggested multi turn 5K trimmer - the mistake has been made here.
I'll have a new multi turn here tomorrow and will change this straight away.
I hope it works but if not I'll give it 15 volts and see what happens - is this OK ?
Will a green LED make much difference ?

Andrew

Andrew, LED's have different voltage drop and noise.

Infra-Red LED, approx. 1.3V
Red / Orange LED, approx. 1.9V
Yellow LED, approx. 2V
Green LED, approx. 2.1V
Blue somewhere around 4.0 V
Don't use blue or white LED's, they are very noisy.

go for green leds.

Thanks Bardos.

I'll go green then;)

Well, I've fired her up and it's another big step - very noticeable.
But after some tracks my plopping and clicking noise is taking over - it's a real pain in the *** :(
At least now I know I can move it into my good CD player and not worry about an explosion :)

Did you insulate your BD139's form the heatsink ?

Andrew

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.