Musings on amp design... a thread split

N and P mos have different saturation properties hence clipping is asymmetric (shows best at virtual earth, see pic)- no amount of feedback could correct that.
It will be most interesting to see the IM your amp produces at maximum output, with 1:1 11.5 KHz and 950 Hz.
I think that you are ruining the high impedance of the Vas with a low end stage input impedance, thereby massively decreasing loop gain and thus distortion reduction.

Hans

To my understanding we have 3 topics here.

First schematic from Petr with mosfet output and 2 feedback path that can introduce errors.

Second schematic from Petr with BJT output from post 1113 where problem in nr.1 is fixed by a big cap and that has mediocre IMD.

3rd schematic from Aridace where he states that P and N devices are different which results in asymmetric clipping and feedback does not fix it.

Schematic from post 1112 and 1113

THD with cap is worse than without.

With cap:

Jean Hiraga_M2_cap.JPG

Without cap:

Jean Hiraga_M2.JPG

Why then the reply with ECW’s on my comment that the Vas output impedance was ruined with the BJT’s low input impedance ?
With additional pre emitter followers result would have been much better.
I don´t know.
Maybe he will clear that up.

Small update:

I made a simplified line level buffer from my schematic, THD is -225 dB, for the full version I expect -250 dB or better.

Problem: MC12 transient analysis seems to be limited to -260 dB. Any chance to improve that with settings ?

Black is the sine source, red my amplifier.

000transient.jpg

Last edited:
Same for THD 😊

Without the cap, try IMD with one of the 330 ohms feedback resistors changed to 333.3 ohms (+1%)
Well, that's the easiest problem to solve, just replace the four 330R and 33R resistors by one 160R and one 16R resistor.
The four 10R emitter resistors are just there to linearize non ideal diamond transistors, but don't affect gain.
With this mod, resistor matching is no longer an issue.
It simply shows that this Hiraga design is not well developed to its ultimate potential.
There is probably even more to improve, but a few steps already improved IMD by 44dB to below -125dB, not that bad at all.

Hans

Attachments

• CFB4.jpg
    CFB4.jpg
    432.8 KB · Views: 83