• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Mr White's "Opus", designing a simple balanced DAC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
HMMM

Hi All

I've just started my opus project. My plan is to make my opus dac modul working with amanero usb and play dsd and pcm stream also without mechanical switching.
Amanero has i2c tools. Is there a way to do it ? So when my foobar sends DSD data to amanero I want it to change mode to dsd on dac with modifying register value.

Certainly I've come across with arduino solution written on hifiduino's site but a bit confusing to me. First I just want the automatic switching.

thanks in advance
Karoly

Buffalo will do auto switching from PCM-DSD, and takes the DSD and PCM/I2S inputs on the same pins (B-IIIse). This is going to be more difficult to implement on the OPUS (or maybe, not possible?)

You will need something like the OTTO-II to switch the signals to the DSD pins. You will therefore need a way to signal the OTTO to switch, but this can be done simply enough with an Arduino GPIO. You will also need to switch chip modes between I2S and DSD by toggling the values of the I2S and DSD pins. Again, with two more GPIOs, this is simple to do.

I have not (personally) played with switching between I2S and DSD on the fly with the Opus (I think Russ may have) so I am not sure if you will also need to issue a reset or not.

Buffalo will do auto switching from PCM-DSD, and takes the DSD and PCM/I2S inputs on the same pins (B-IIIse). This is going to be more difficult to implement on the OPUS (or maybe, not possible?)

I bounced this question because I hope someone has solved it already.
Regarding the Buffalo-III I'm aware of that beauty deals with changing correctly but I just bought the OPUS I mentioned earlier so I want it to be working. Anyway If it is not possible I can live with that too and look forward to BIIISE :-D.

With an OTTO-II and a relay maybe ?

Last edited:
You will need something like the OTTO-II to switch the signals to the DSD pins. You will therefore need a way to signal the OTTO to switch, but this can be done simply enough with an Arduino GPIO. You will also need to switch chip modes between I2S and DSD by toggling the values of the I2S and DSD pins. Again, with two more GPIOs, this is simple to do.

I have not (personally) played with switching between I2S and DSD on the fly with the Opus (I think Russ may have) so I am not sure if you will also need to issue a reset or not.

Thanks Brian
I will need some experience of arduino.

You could indeed do something like that - where a controller could come in handy is detecting changing states such as PCM to DSD if your source has a DSD flag, as well as MUTE state, some sources send a mute signal when changing formats. But you may not need to go to that length - a simple hardware solution may be perfectly sufficient. Also some sources have flags for sample rate (DSD and PCM) which would help you in selecting the right filter for the WM8741.

Hi All

I've just started my opus project. My plan is to make my opus dac modul working with amanero usb and play dsd and pcm stream also without mechanical switching.
Amanero has i2c tools. Is there a way to do it ? So when my foobar sends DSD data to amanero I want it to change mode to dsd on dac with modifying register value.

Certainly I've come across with arduino solution written on hifiduino's site but a bit confusing to me. First I just want the automatic switching.

thanks in advance
Karoly

exD makes a USB to i2s converter with PCM/DSD support on separate headers. The unit will properly route the signal to the correct header for you during playback.

I think I may have just killed the USB module on my Opus DAC by sending some AC into it (long story). I think this a good excuse to get the SPDIF module and toslink. My mac has optical out and would love to start taking advantage of the higher bit rate. Anybody have a good suggestion on where to start with testing this? what is designed to blow first?

Hi Russ, Brian,

I would like to connect my WaveIO to the Opus DAC but soon realized that I had to play with the OSR bit for 24/192 material... Setting the OSR switch to high rate will enable 24/192 material to be played but will effectively lose upsampling for lower resolution material, correct? If this is the case, then it is not really good alternative and I don't want to use a relay base solution.

Could I use the Metronome for this task? WaveIO I2S --> Metronome --> Opus I2S
I would like to upsample everything lower than 24/192 to 24/192 for the Opus DAC, this way I get to play all material properly.

If this would work, could you please let me know which DIP switch settings to change for both Metronome and Opus to accommodate this setup? I would do it but I'm not an expert when it comes to filters.

Thanks
Do

Try...

did you try listening to your Opus with the OSF in the high sample rate position and 44.1-96 kHz files? I put a simple three way switch on the front of my Opus so I could manually change the OSF rates, but I find I often like the sound of less oversampling, even on lower rate files. I know this approach is probably letting through more alias products, but I do not seem to be experiencing the "cloudy" sound I usually hear from NOS style DACs with busy music...
If your Wave IO has the NDK oscillators onboard, those become the master for the Opus when you connect it directly, and the NDK oscillators are really good-I am not sure I would want to add the extra processing of an asynchronous sample rate converter in my Opus.
I know what I am suggesting is not the "correct" way to do it, but it does not hurt to try listening with less oversampling first.

did you try listening to your Opus with the OSF in the high sample rate position and 44.1-96 kHz files? I put a simple three way switch on the front of my Opus so I could manually change the OSF rates, but I find I often like the sound of less oversampling, even on lower rate files. I know this approach is probably letting through more alias products, but I do not seem to be experiencing the "cloudy" sound I usually hear from NOS style DACs with busy music...
If your Wave IO has the NDK oscillators onboard, those become the master for the Opus when you connect it directly, and the NDK oscillators are really good-I am not sure I would want to add the extra processing of an asynchronous sample rate converter in my Opus.
I know what I am suggesting is not the "correct" way to do it, but it does not hurt to try listening with less oversampling first.

Hi Barrows,

How did you connect the MCK with the WaveIO? I don't know if I have the NDK oscillators but they're so tiny it will take a magnifying glass to see the writing on them. Any other DIP settings you changed?

Thanks
Do

I...

Hi Barrows,

How did you connect the MCK with the WaveIO? I don't know if I have the NDK oscillators but they're so tiny it will take a magnifying glass to see the writing on them. Any other DIP settings you changed?

Thanks
Do

Do not use the Wave IO, but I am sure Lucien must provide master clock out as part of the I2S feed?
I cannot remember my settings, I am using one of the minimum phase filter options. the manual in combination with the Wolfson 8741 data sheet has all the information you need to figure it out.
The NDKs are tiny, and marking is almost impossible to read... I know Lucien had mentioned he was shipping most boards with NDK oscillators. The Opus has to have a master clock feed to work, so if it is working you are providing a master clock from somewhere....

DSD, the 8741 Opus in the coming environment

As the Botic Cape seems to be approaching release testing, I would like to get some impressions about the reality of my plans. I have used an 8740 Opus since 2008 for PCM and have found it a fabulous device in my primary system, connected to the now way-out-of-date Squeezebox Classic. I am looking forward to the Botic Cape becoming my rendering client and hope to use it with an Opus 8741 for DSD. My first round of questions are:

1) Are there more Opus 8741 units in the offing? And, are they likely to be the mooted upgrade including trident regulators?

2) Would these units be capable of 128fs or even 256fs dsd depending, of course, on the software used?

3) If I were to send DSD only, would I leave out the Metronome I currently use and connect the I2S directly from the Botic Cape to the Opus DSD inputs?

I realize that many/most will connect the Cape to A Buffalo variant, but I have been so happy with the Opus that I thought it would be a good, less expensive, option at least in the beginning.

Thanks,

Skip

2) Would these units be capable of 128fs or even 256fs dsd depending, of course, on the software used?

I think it is not possible to use generate anything larger than 64fs using BBB.

The McASP transmitter supports serial formats of:
• Slot (or Time slot) size = 8, 12, 16, 20, 24, 28, 32 bits.
• Word size ≤ Slot size.
Two (for stereo) 32 bit slots is 64fs.

Since the Cronus and Hermes are out I have more questions on how opus will work with them.
Do I need to manually switch the DIP on board when I change from different data materials( like 44.1 to 192 kHz )?or is it only between PCM and DSD that a switch is needed.
What is the role for volumite in opus DAC ?
How do you control the opus DAC with micro controllers ?

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.