• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Mr White's "Opus", designing a simple balanced DAC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
pinkmouse said:
Your silkscreen notations for the jumper settings will end up as indecipherable blobs, they are way too small and too fine.

Does that qualify me as a beta tester? :)

Good point. :)

The PCB Fab says they are within spec, but we will leave the documentation for jumper settings here and on our site so if people get blobs we won't be out of luck. :)

If you want in on the test then your in.

Cheers!
Russ

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Shhhh!

It's ok, I just printed everything out on the works printer for later perusal! ;)

Oh, and anther quick point, can you move the component designators out from under the footprints? It makes fault finding so much easier. Not a great problem with the number of components on this board, but a good habit to get into.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
I know I am late ;) The input stage could use some refinement IMHO. I would load the primary side after the cap with 150 Ohm and I would load the secondary side with 150 Ohm too. Definitely keep the input cap, it protects the pulse transformer from DC. A 10 kOhm from the SPDIF-2 to GND wouldn't hurt, it will keep the primary side at low potential when switching cables with the DAC powered on. I used this circuit a lot ( also for inspiration ) but please note that it uses a 1:4 transformer:

http://members.brabant.chello.nl/~m.heijligers/DAChtml/dig_r2a.pdf

*It is adviseable to use a 75 Ohm BNC chassis connector directly on the PCB for optimal results as standard PCB connectors really aren't suitable 75 Ohm devices. Please see the DAC Peter Daniel designed to see what I mean. The circuit with SN75179 also works well but IMO the guideline with semiconductors is that "less is more"....

When I was searching for the right thread I stumbled upon this one that I did not try ( to me both the caps and the 10 Ohm resistors at the secondary side seem useless but I may be wrong ) but you'll get the idea:

Attachments

• digin2_3_jh_np.jpg
    digin2_3_jh_np.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 1,874
jean-paul said:
BTW did I mention I'd like to be beta tester as well ? If you appreciate further comment please let me know. I have some other suggestions.

Your in,

Let, me see what I can do about your suggestions.

Keep in mind I did not anticipate the PCB being directly mounted to a chassis, so I have not provided for PCB mounted BNC or RCA. Instead I was going to allow for chassis mounted connectors which would be wired to the PCB via the terminals. This may not be optimal, but it is very practical...

Cheers!
Russ

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.