Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

Maybe I can help on this one: I had the same problem until I discovered that I had corrupted audio files in my collection. It appear that each time the index process find a corrupted file, it hangs like this.
-If the index is stuck in the middle (7400 songs), then have a look in the 'browse section, to see if it hangs always in th same directory, then try to exclude it (moove the suspected album elsewhere) and restart the index.
-You can also check your entire collection with the tool trackerr.exe (windows) that was able to find all the corrupted files for me .
The Portable Freeware Collection - TrackErr

Thank you very much for the tip. I couldn't imagine that such an issue
even existed. !

My library was checked with the software you proposed and some problems/errors were found.

I will go through my library and after fixing the errors I will do the import
again.

It is really of great help finding this information.

My apologies to Tim for bothering him with a problem of my own files.

BR,

Bob D.

Hi Tim,

I know, you're busy with 2.5-3 rework, but maybe you can help me.

Hifiberry DAC+ (on RPi2) - OK, I know: volume to HW, max. to 81, MPD to logarithmic, but unfortunately I can go beyond 81 with remote MPD client and airplay.

I can live with volume control disabled but I need it while controlling though airplay.

Shairport-sync cannot eat config file (with the option volume_range_db) with which I could handle airplay over-the-top distortion.

Could you tell me how can I set an absolute HW volume maximum? Configfile or boot option?
With Runeaudio I haven't got this issue. Or the alsa-stuff and volume handling changed from kernelV3 that causes this?

Thanks

PS: I tried 5 different projects (volumio and rune, too), but I can say that Moode is far the most stable, fast and usable of all of them. Thanks for your work, keep on!

Hi,

The enhanced volume settings in Moode apply only to MPD. Other apps like shairport-sync interact with ALSA directly and thus have no way of knowing about Max vol %, Vol warning limit, etc.

I haven't yet updated to the latest shairport-sync 2.6 which uses a config file with settings that may help you out, but its on my TODO list :)

Not sure if its possible to set a system-wide max-volume% in ALSA.

Regards,
Tim

Guys

Since a few days I had problems with the radio stations.
Most of then didn't work (without any error messages) - just silence.
I was going to ask/search for help, but then I've fixed it myself.
Here's what happened and what I did as it might be useful for someone.

I've noticed, that the working ones are cofigured with IP address instead of URL.
This led me to an idead, that it might be related to the DNS.
That was it! My resolv.conf file had the nameserver pointing to the router address (that should work normally too).
I've changed it to the Google DNS: 8.8.8.8 (secondary 8.8.8.4) and everything is working perfectly again.

It's not a rocket science, I know, but someone might be looking for such tip as I was.

sudo nano /etc/resolv.conf

then enter/change: nameserver 8.8.8.8

ctrl+C, "Yes" to save and you're good to go.

Tim, I've also question to you.
I've seen you mentioned support for LCD output. Where can I look for documentation as how to connect the 16x2 lcd (which pins) and how to enable/use it?
These might be a lame questions, but so far, I've been only using this display with Arduino :)

Thanks in advance for suggestions.

Marek

Guys

Since a few days I had problems with the radio stations.
Most of then didn't work (without any error messages) - just silence.
I was going to ask/search for help, but then I've fixed it myself.
Here's what happened and what I did as it might be useful for someone.

I've noticed, that the working ones are cofigured with IP address instead of URL.
This led me to an idead, that it might be related to the DNS.
That was it! My resolv.conf file had the nameserver pointing to the router address (that should work normally too).
I've changed it to the Google DNS: 8.8.8.8 (secondary 8.8.8.4) and everything is working perfectly again.

It's not a rocket science, I know, but someone might be looking for such tip as I was.

sudo nano /etc/resolv.conf

then enter/change: nameserver 8.8.8.8

ctrl+C, "Yes" to save and you're good to go.

Tim, I've also question to you.
I've seen you mentioned support for LCD output. Where can I look for documentation as how to connect the 16x2 lcd (which pins) and how to enable/use it?
These might be a lame questions, but so far, I've been only using this display with Arduino :)

Thanks in advance for suggestions.

Marek

Hi Marek,

Moode provides LCD support in the following way:

(1) Enhanced metadata that appears on Moode UI including the URL for cover art or radio station logo is written to a file named /var/www/currentsong.txt.

(2) In Moode 2.5 there is an inotifywait_test.sh stub in ~/ that can be used to fire a Python LCD updater script each time the currentsong.txt file changes.

I don't have any documentation on how to connect LCD screens but there are users in this thread that have posted information on how they configured their LCD's.

I have a couple LCD screens and its on my TODO list to see if its possible to create an automated config for at least a couple different types. The challenge is that there is no standard interface for these peripherals.

Regards,
Tim

Look at theses URL for very clear tutorials, either with I2C interface or not:
Using An I2C Enabled LCD Screen With The Raspberry Pi
16×2 LCD Module Control Using Python

Oh, that's a whole lot of goods! Thank you!
Just started to read it and it seems to be about my display :)
I also have the 1.8 inch TFT display. Need to play with both and see what I get. Never used Python before, but hope it's not much different than programming Arduino or VBA :)

Have a good one!

Marek

Oh, that's a whole lot of goods! Thank you!
Just started to read it and it seems to be about my display :)
I also have the 1.8 inch TFT display. Need to play with both and see what I get. Never used Python before, but hope it's not much different than programming Arduino or VBA :)

Have a good one!

Marek
You're welcome. I ordered myself a 4x20 display from china. Waiting for it to find its way to my home, then I'll also try to make it work with Moode.

My project is to build a (semi) autonomous hifi network player, with a local display and front buttons to browse the library and start playing an album.
I have absolutly no clue if I will be able to do it, but it is a nice challenge ;)

Yeah, my displays are also from China.
For me it's even more a challenge I think, because so far I've been using RPi as a media player (Openelec) only and been programming on Arduino and PC (VBA) :) So I need to figure out how to have display script running in background to display the current info :)

Marek

hey guys,

here a newby, new to rpi's, new to programming, a little aquinted with audiophile music players (have a build running and playing, which sounds great i must add. Just a bit large) an i have bought a rpi. with multiple sd cards to see which of the audiophile players around i like to best and then compare that one to the player i build.

as i live small all i have at this moment is the player and a set of z10 logitech speakers, which is rather oke in this envirnment. but it will need to change in the future.

anyway. so i'm now up to the installation of moode. and just realised that bedides this enormeus long topic here i have found not much information.
I do got volumio up and running so i was wundereing besides that that mode is ofcrse better how does it correlate?

Is moode's core linux too? (prosume so but just to be sure)
is it headless? ifso how do i login via ssh/putty?
anything else in need to now before i turn the rpi on with the moode image in it?

kind regards.

spikey.

I've been using Raspyfi / Volumio / Rune for a few years . No matter what I do I can't mount my NAS on Moode .

316a

From my experience: I've had to use SMB (NFS never worked) and user/password from NAS to get access (my NAS is WDC MyBook Live) and user "ro" mount option (advanced settings). It worked like a charm after that.

Marek

Last edited:
Have removed and added source , toggled between fileshare protocol . I just can't get the magic green tick

316a

Attachments

• moode.jpg
    moode.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 217
  • rune.jpg
    rune.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 219
From my experience: I've had to use SMB (NFS never worked) and user/password from NAS to get access (my NAS is WDC MyBook Live) and user "ro" mount option (advanced settings). It worked like a charm after that.

Marek

I'm also using a Mybook and that appeared to work . Thanks :)

Now have the spinning updating arrow

316a

Edit : unuseable . Volume knob follows the mouse cursor even when I click on it after moving the dial . Very annoying

Last edited:

Marek

Hi,

For SMB/CIFS these are default mount flags:

cache=strict,ro,dir_mode=0777,file_mode=0777

What did u need to add?

Regards,
Tim

Hi @Phil and @316a,

I just want to be sure I understand correctly. The symptom "follows mouse cursor" is happening only when using an actual mouse connected to desktop, laptop, tablet etc. and its not happening for example when you slide your fingertip across a touchscreen.

Correct?

This may be a regression bug from a change made way back when. There was one other user that had similar issue specific to Android.

Regards,
Tim