Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

Tim,
Thanks for all the hard work on Moode! I'm new to Moode, but not to audio on Pi + DACs etc. I successfully installed Moode and i2s DAC on pi, but my Pi (newest version ) couldn't power an external drive (the usual 'click' 'click') Hence I couldn't play the music from that drive.

Same Hardware running PiCorePlayer, everything runs just fine. Is it something I'm doing or is there a fundamental difference between Moode and piCorePlayer in how they do power management?

Thanks again!

Ryan

Hi Ryan,

First, try 2.5 TR1 download from TEST CODE button at moodeaudio.org :)

Turn on "Max USB current 2X" in Moode System config. This provides 1200 mA current to USB bus which may allow your bus-powered USB drive to function. Default current is 600 mA.

What i2s DAC r u using?

Regards,
Tim

Just found a bug in the 2.5 tr1.
When changing volume via mpc client (e.g. mpdroid on android), the volume changes in alsamixer correctly, but the web UI doesn't detect the change. Nothing happens even if refreshing browser, cleaning cache etc
Not sure if already reported.

Hi,

Not a bug. Moode volume knob is decoupled from MPD to enable nice logarithmic curve for DAC's that have on-board hardware volume controllers :)

External app needs to call /var/www/vol.sh <args> if it runs locally on the Pi or "http://moode/command?cmd=vol.sh <args>" if it runs on another computer. Vol.sh is the Moode volume control interface for external apps.

<args>

0-100 volume level
mute (toggle)
dn level
up level

Examples:

vol.sh 10 - sets volume to 10
vol.sh mute - mutes volume if not already muted otherwise unmutes volume
vol.sh dn 3 - lowers volume by 3
vol.sh up 3 - raises volume by 3

Vol.sh is part of Moode 2.5 TR1 which can be downloaded via TEST CODE button at moodeaudio.org. Moode 2.4 uses knob.sh which has slightly different args.

Regards,
Tim

Tim,
So ... I tried it. External drive appears to mount, but I can't see any music. I DID
Configure -> Sources -> UPDATE MPD DB

When I go to Browse, I see all of the USB ports but none have contents.

I did confirm that the audio chain is working by playing radio stations. That's all good.

Just not able to see my library of music on the external drive. Any hints?

Cheers,
Ryan

Hi Ryan,

First, try 2.5 TR1 download from TEST CODE button at moodeaudio.org :)

Turn on "Max USB current 2X" in Moode System config. This provides 1200 mA current to USB bus which may allow your bus-powered USB drive to function. Default current is 600 mA.

What i2s DAC r u using?

Regards,
Tim

Tim,
So ... I tried it. External drive appears to mount, but I can't see any music. I DID
Configure -> Sources -> UPDATE MPD DB

When I go to Browse, I see all of the USB ports but none have contents.

I did confirm that the audio chain is working by playing radio stations. That's all good.

Just not able to see my library of music on the external drive. Any hints?

Cheers,
Ryan

Hi Ryan,

Very odd.

Below is output from lsusb cmd on one of my test systems that has powered USB HDD, EDIMax WiFi adapter and USB DAC connected. Device 006 is USB HDD, device 004 is WiFi adapter and device 005 is USB DAC.

Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0424:9514 Standard Microsystems Corp.
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0424:ec00 Standard Microsystems Corp.

Bus 001 Device 006: ID 152d:2352 JMicron Technology Corp. / JMicron USA Technology Corp. ATA/ATAPI Bridge

Bus 001 Device 004: ID 7392:7811 Edimax Technology Co., Ltd EW-7811Un 802.11n Wireless Adapter [Realtek RTL8188CUS]

Bus 001 Device 005: ID 1852:7022 GYROCOM C&C Co., LTD

Do you see your USB HDD in lsusb?

Regards,
Tim

Tim,
I'll have to RTFM to remote in etc. I'll report back once I get smarter.
Thanks,
Ryan
PS... I did RTFM and now will try your suggestion and report back..
PPS... I also tried the same hardware set up with Volumio and it also did NOT power the HDD
PPPS ... here's what I see... the drive is there (Toshiba)
root@moode:~# lsusb
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0480:0100 Toshiba America Info. Systems, Inc.

Hi Ryan,

Very odd.

Below is output from lsusb cmd on one of my test systems that has powered USB HDD, EDIMax WiFi adapter and USB DAC connected. Device 006 is USB HDD, device 004 is WiFi adapter and device 005 is USB DAC.

Bus 001 Device 006: ID 152d:2352 JMicron Technology Corp. / JMicron USA Technology Corp. ATA/ATAPI Bridge

Bus 001 Device 004: ID 7392:7811 Edimax Technology Co., Ltd EW-7811Un 802.11n Wireless Adapter [Realtek RTL8188CUS]

Bus 001 Device 005: ID 1852:7022 GYROCOM C&C Co., LTD

Do you see your USB HDD in lsusb?

Regards,
Tim

Last edited:
Seems to be okay now ...

Now it works... or appears to be. I see the database "updating" and the disk activity light is on. Could it be that different USB ports have different power capability? Anyway, seems like it's all good now. I'll let you know when I get some music!

Thanks for the help.
Ryan
PS Music!

Last edited:
Hi Tim,
Any plans to provide the option of using the 'Album Artist' tag for library management/sorting? My listening habits are very album centric and use of the 'Album Artist' to denote the artist for an album as opposed to the artists per track works well. With the current Moode version using just the 'Artist' tag my library view is skewed (lots of artists with albums containing only one track) and playback of an album relying on 'Album Artist' is challenging (having to add the album to a playlist and then go back and add the missing tracks). FWIW, my tagging system works well the likes of Audirvana, iTunes, JRMC that recognize the ‘Album Artist’ tag.

Thank you for your consideration.
WJ

Hi Tim,
Any plans to provide the option of using the 'Album Artist' tag for library management/sorting? My listening habits are very album centric and use of the 'Album Artist' to denote the artist for an album as opposed to the artists per track works well. With the current Moode version using just the 'Artist' tag my library view is skewed (lots of artists with albums containing only one track) and playback of an album relying on 'Album Artist' is challenging (having to add the album to a playlist and then go back and add the missing tracks). FWIW, my tagging system works well the likes of Audirvana, iTunes, JRMC that recognize the ‘Album Artist’ tag.

Thank you for your consideration.
WJ

Hi,

Please provide a couple examples so I understand how the tags are being used.

Regards,
Tim

Is there a way to have Moode use Mopidy, https://www.mopidy.com/ , instead of MPD or to work along side it? It looks like Mopidy is a MPD server, but also allows extensions and plugins to MPD to allow such things as Spotify playback.

I currently have Moode installed and love it, however I would really like to be able to expand it so that it could play spotify over my lan lines and not have to be streamed from my phone over the wifi.

Is there a way to have Moode use Mopidy, https://www.mopidy.com/ , instead of MPD or to work along side it? It looks like Mopidy is a MPD server, but also allows extensions and plugins to MPD to allow such things as Spotify playback.

I currently have Moode installed and love it, however I would really like to be able to expand it so that it could play spotify over my lan lines and not have to be streamed from my phone over the wifi.

Hi,

Not possible to use mopidy in Moode.

If u turn on Airplay receiver in Moode u can play any music service using its full featured native interface from web browser or app as long as client OS has Airplay send capability.

Moode 2.5 will include automatic volume management and pretty much seamless switching between Airplay and Moode :)

Regards,
Tim

Hi,
1 - when I stream a song from PC to RPi2 using DLNA-ON in Moode, this song deletes my whole playlist instead of just add itself on the end of it. Is this normal?
2 - my setup is Rpi-USB DAC-Preamp-Amp, so I´m using the volume knob of the preamp. Is it right to have the volume control option set to "disabled" or "hardware"? My guess is set to "disabled"...

Last edited:
Hi,
1 - when I stream a song from PC to RPi2 using DLNA-ON in Moode, this song deletes my whole playlist instead of just add itself on the end of it. Is this normal?
2 - my setup is Rpi-USB DAC-Preamp-Amp, so I´m using the volume knob of the preamp. Is it right to have the volume control option set to "disabled" or "hardware"? My guess is set to "disabled"...

Hi,

#2 - Yes "disabled" is the correct config. This causes 0dB (100%) volume level to be output to the audio device.

#1 - email tim at moodeaudio dot org and I'll help troubleshoot :)

Regards,
Tim

Hi,

Just a brief update :)

(1) Moode 2.5 release changed from Jan to Feb 2016 due to work shifting to Moode Case prototypes.

(2) Additional metadata included in currentsong.txt lcd interface file

* existing
artist: Emily Remler
album: East To Wes
title: Snowfall
coverurl: /coverart.php/USB%2FMusic%2FEmily%20Remler%2FEast%20To%20Wes%2F02%20Snowfall.m4a
* new
track: 2/8
date: 2008
composer: Claude Thornhill
encoded: 16/44.1
volume: 40
mute: 0

(3) New setting in System config to turn on/off LCD updater engine. The engine will run a user defined Python script whenever currentsong.txt changes.

(4) Investigating local language support for the UI :)

Regards,
Tim

Hi Tim, given you are working on balancing the volume when switching between airplay and normal play, is it also possible to balance the volume between web radio stations and playing music files.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi,

Airplay/Moode volume management is a mechanism to restore Moode volume and optionally resume playback after Airplay session ends. Also working on an issue where shairport-sync does not appear to initially set ALSA volume level until sending app (iTunes) bumps its volume sliders.

MPD has a "Volume normalization" setting but I think it only applies to song files and not streaming sources.

Regards,
Tim

Hi Tim,
I've been playing through moode 2.4 for a while now. I'm really impressed. It works every time. Every time it doesn't work it turns out I did something wrong :)

A few observations: Wifi works flawlessly, but having the music on NFS accesing it though wifi-dongle and playing through a USB connected DAC is just to much. The result is glitches and it even seems to miss a beat sometimes.
Since the CPU is not really loaded and the network isn't close to max capacity I'm guessing it must be congestion on the USB. I have no idea how to verify it though.

Changing the network to eth0 everything works perfect. No glitches - no missed beats.
I'm thinking it might be worth trying a HiFIBerry Digi+ to move the DAC away from USB. I really don't want to have a network cable on the livingroom floor :)
Any thoughts?

And today I brought it to a friend with a Topping D20 DAC. It works perfectly - you can add it to the list :)

Thanks for all your work!

/kristian

Hi Tim,

Had you already thouht about putting an embeded BrutFir in your distro (don't know if it's possible for you with the actual licence of BruteFir ?) and put a GUI to allow to load from the local network or from an USB a TXT file with room and phase correction ! I hardly think about Rephase here :)

Thanks a lot for this distro

(pleased by the good FranceMusic classical and jazz you listed :) )
Is there a GUI

Hi Tim,
I've been playing through moode 2.4 for a while now. I'm really impressed. It works every time. Every time it doesn't work it turns out I did something wrong :)

A few observations: Wifi works flawlessly, but having the music on NFS accesing it though wifi-dongle and playing through a USB connected DAC is just to much. The result is glitches and it even seems to miss a beat sometimes.
Since the CPU is not really loaded and the network isn't close to max capacity I'm guessing it must be congestion on the USB. I have no idea how to verify it though.

Changing the network to eth0 everything works perfect. No glitches - no missed beats.
I'm thinking it might be worth trying a HiFIBerry Digi+ to move the DAC away from USB. I really don't want to have a network cable on the livingroom floor :)
Any thoughts?

And today I brought it to a friend with a Topping D20 DAC. It works perfectly - you can add it to the list :)

Thanks for all your work!

/kristian

Hi Kristian,

I have test Pi-2B with EDIMax WiFi adapter, USB HDD, USB Stick and USB DAC attached plus 2 CIFS NAS mounts and no issues :)

Since audio glitches disappear when changing the connection from WiFi to wired Ethernet, it suggests a WiFi issue. Run a 1 minute ping test from Pi to NFS server and examine the ping stats to see if round trip times are reasonable (avg 2ms) and that there is 0% or a very low % packet loss.

Try 2.5 test release 1 (TR1) download listed under TEST CODE button at moodeaudio.org.

I'll add the Topping DAC to the database, thanks!

Regards,
Tim