Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

Hi there,

I'm having some problem using my USB stick with music on it, to show up in moOde. It worked in 2.5, but not in 2.6 anymore.

It seems that it is being detected by the system:

Code:
[69125.649624] usb 1-1.2: new high-speed USB device number 12 using dwc_otg
[69125.755258] usb 1-1.2: New USB device found, idVendor=8564, idProduct=1000
[69125.755288] usb 1-1.2: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
[69125.755305] usb 1-1.2: Product: Mass Storage Device
[69125.755321] usb 1-1.2: Manufacturer: JetFlash
[69125.755337] usb 1-1.2: SerialNumber: 6576WR7CMA4ACCPW
[69125.757346] usb-storage 1-1.2:1.0: USB Mass Storage device detected
[69125.758113] scsi host6: usb-storage 1-1.2:1.0
[69127.142924] scsi 6:0:0:0: Direct-Access     JetFlash Transcend 32GB   1100 PQ: 0 ANSI: 6
[69127.145078] sd 6:0:0:0: [sda] 61702144 512-byte logical blocks: (31.6 GB/29.4 GiB)
[69127.145374] sd 6:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg0 type 0
[69127.145850] sd 6:0:0:0: [sda] Write Protect is off
[69127.145880] sd 6:0:0:0: [sda] Mode Sense: 43 00 00 00
[69127.146628] sd 6:0:0:0: [sda] Write cache: enabled, read cache: enabled, doesn't support DPO or FUA
[69127.153613]  sda: sda1
[69127.159215] sd 6:0:0:0: [sda] Attached SCSI removable disk
Also fdisk shows it:
Code:
Disk /dev/sda: 29.4 GiB, 31591497728 bytes, 61702144 sectors
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disklabel type: dos
Disk identifier: 0xc3072e18

Device     Boot Start      End  Sectors  Size Id Type
/dev/sda1          96 61702143 61702048 29.4G 83 Linux
But it looks like it is not being mounted. I've tried the 'update mpd db' button in the GUI, but the stick doesn't show. Another USB HDD does work tho, so it's something specific going wrong for the stick? What could be the problem here?

Hi,

Moode 2.6 auto-mounts USB disks by disk label to the /media folder. Does the disk show up under /media? What file system format is the disk?

-Tim

I use the Suptronics X400 and can attest to the hardware volume control working flawlessly with Moode.

I'm very interested in whether it has hardware volume control. I need to build about 80 units with amps and DACs and given the cost of the other HATs, if it has hardware volume, it could be my go-to.

I don't need 'audiophile' quality, it's for an art installation with spoken word, transducers, etc.

For my hifi stuff I will stick with IQAudio, they're the bomb!

I'm very interested in whether it has hardware volume control. I need to build about 80 units with amps and DACs and given the cost of the other HATs, if it has hardware volume, it could be my go-to.

I don't need 'audiophile' quality, it's for an art installation with spoken word, transducers, etc.

For my hifi stuff I will stick with IQAudio, they're the bomb!

Wow. You certainly got my attention with this. I hope you'll have links to share with us when the installation goes "live".

Regards,
Kent

Hello.

Has anybody successfully used moode audio to drive a Gustard X20 using a HDMI cable for I2S? I am interested in both PCM and DSD.

Roberto
Do you mean HDMI direct from your rpi to the Gustard?

That wont work....

You have to tap i2s from the rpi (GPIO) - convert to a lvds (balanced i2s so to speak) converter and then use a hdmi to the gustard.
Here is a good and working converter.
http://hifimediy.com/i2s-DSD-isolatora

A friend did this :confused:
he checked tlog and nothing was there.
He is very noob at linux, so he didn't check other logs.
A reboot fixed it.

When this happens what could be the cause?

Attachments

• crash.png
    crash.png
    82.4 KB · Views: 252
Hi Tim,

Still really enjoying Moode (thanks for the tips btw).

I quite often hear a big "scratch" when playing asong : when I click "play" there is a big noise (kind of like someone was unplugging the line on the amp, I think we all know that sound) and then the song starts playing.
I searched the thread and saw no other post on that matter : I am the only one experiencing that ?

Thanks again : not only do you treat us with an amazing open source soft, but you also take the time to answer each and everyone of our questions. Wow.

A friend did this :confused:
he checked tlog and nothing was there.
He is very noob at linux, so he didn't check other logs.
A reboot fixed it.

When this happens what could be the cause?

I don't know about the cause.... Other than mine does this when MPD dies. SSH in and if MPD is not in the list of "ps -A | grep mpd" enter "sudo systemctl start mpd" and it sorts itself out.

This happens on my main RPi. It's an old B rev2 with weeny processor and 512MB memory. I'm running it at 900MHz.

I find it is more likely to die if I try to replace the playlist with another playlist/album or track whilst it is playing.

Am currently pondering MPD logging and diagnostics. Oh yeah, running 2.6 actual.

I've finally (I wanted to do this so long) made a script that when mpd is stopped/paused, it turns off my amp after 2 minutes and it turn it back on when I resume playing.
(gpio, a transistor, pulling from 5v not from gpio, to amp's remote-in jack)

Found a nice light, handy, small remote from a car stereo I had, mapped the keys with lirc.
Hi, can you share some more information about this setup? Do you use the remote to make the Raspberry send out commands to amp remote-in?
I was thinking the other way: to use the amp's remote controller to send commands to Raspberry via the remote-out, but I think it uses 5 VDC while Raspberry expects 3.3 VDC on its GPIO inputs, so a direct connection cannot be made.

Hi Tim,

Still really enjoying Moode (thanks for the tips btw).

I quite often hear a big "scratch" when playing asong : when I click "play" there is a big noise (kind of like someone was unplugging the line on the amp, I think we all know that sound) and then the song starts playing.
I searched the thread and saw no other post on that matter : I am the only one experiencing that ?

Thanks again : not only do you treat us with an amazing open source soft, but you also take the time to answer each and everyone of our questions. Wow.

Hi,

Thanks for the nice compliment, much appreciated :)

There are occasional reports of audio glitch after play or next track, even I experience it every once in a while, but its pretty rare and thus difficult to troubleshoot.

-Tim

I don't know about the cause.... Other than mine does this when MPD dies. SSH in and if MPD is not in the list of "ps -A | grep mpd" enter "sudo systemctl start mpd" and it sorts itself out.

This happens on my main RPi. It's an old B rev2 with weeny processor and 512MB memory. I'm running it at 900MHz.

I find it is more likely to die if I try to replace the playlist with another playlist/album or track whilst it is playing.

Am currently pondering MPD logging and diagnostics. Oh yeah, running 2.6 actual.

Hi,

The one crash scenario that was occuring had to do with Pi-3 and leaving MPD idle overnight or for days. Syslog would show a segfault for MPD. Most recent Moode update contains an enhanced watchdog monitor that will auto-restart MPD if it sees that it has crashed and it will log the event in Moode log /var/log/moode.log

Normally, MPD should not be crashing, especially during play so I'd suspect a bad sd card or something external.

Also, I'd recommend applying the most recent Moode update :)

-Tim

Hi,

Thanks for the nice compliment, much appreciated :)

There are occasional reports of audio glitch after play or next track, even I experience it every once in a while, but its pretty rare and thus difficult to troubleshoot.

-Tim

I too can hear this essentially overtime you play a track from stop or manually skip a track you can hear a audible click. The hardware is a Pi3 with Hifiberry DIGI+. This is audible on either the optical or coaxial output. Maybe a hardware issue or indeed something with the Pioneer receiver.

What a fantastic project Tim has put together, very polished user interface and what I would call "Commercial Grade" polish.
There are a few refinements which would be nice to see.

1. Display the file type and encoding rate on the playback screen i.e. flac 192kbps
2. Library view is just a little cluttered and difficult to read on a smaller screen an option to change the font size would be wonderful.
3. Larger Transport control buttons on the playback screen i.e.. play pause forward etc.

Thank you Tim such an excellent piece of software.

Hi Tim, I've been getting timeout errors when I try and access moode by web interface or SSH. It seems to come up after I copy files over the network onto an attached USB hard disk. Any ideas for troubleshooting the issue?

Edit: After about 30 minutes of unresponsiveness, it's accessible.

Last edited:
Hi Tim, I've been getting timeout errors when I try and access moode by web interface or SSH. It seems to come up after I copy files over the network onto an attached USB hard disk. Any ideas for troubleshooting the issue?

Edit: After about 30 minutes of unresponsiveness, it's accessible.

The symptom suggests a network issue.

To troubleshoot run a 30 sec ping test from Pi to client computer and examine the ping statistics for anything unusual.

-Tim

What a fantastic project Tim has put together, very polished user interface and what I would call "Commercial Grade" polish.
There are a few refinements which would be nice to see.

1. Display the file type and encoding rate on the playback screen i.e. flac 192kbps
2. Library view is just a little cluttered and difficult to read on a smaller screen an option to change the font size would be wonderful.
3. Larger Transport control buttons on the playback screen i.e.. play pause forward etc.

Thank you Tim such an excellent piece of software.

Hi,

Thanks for the nice compliment, truly appreciated :)

#2 and 3 - what client are u using where the UI elements are too small?

#1 - file type could be displayed but extracting the encoded-at rate from each file in the Playlist as its displayed really bogs down the UI...

Regard
Tim