Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

Hello to all !

Is it possible to add a boot delay at startup ? I would add this feature because i have a single power on/off for all my audio stuff and the pi boots faster than the device (popcorn hour) on which there's a samba sharing. The issue is the samba sharing is not seen and mounted by the pi and i have to reboot the pi if i want to play music files that are on the samba sharing.
Thanks for your help.

Guillaume

Hi Guillaume,

You could try adding sleep(N) as first line in /etc/rc.local

-Tim

Hi guys,

I have installed Moode in my Raspberry PI B+ IQ AUDIO PI-DAC +, everything seems to working pretty well, and I am planning to put the raspberry pi into the enclosure where I have my Gain Clone; so it means that normally the raspberry pi will not be accessible, but it is going to be connected via WIFI to my NAS where I have my music.

My concern is that that I am expecting that there is going to be sometimes that the system won't be shutdown properly and some corruption with time can i appear; so I wanted to ask you if some of you guys have some way to mount the / and /boot readonly , and if you neead a different partition where I have the files needed by the system and the gui to be modified and kept...

Thanks very much in advance

Compilations

I have found that having the AlbumArtist tag assigned for all my music has made handling compilations much easier. The tag is set to Various Artists for compilation. This gives you lots of flexibility and works very well. Of course consistent tagging is required to make any method work. I use simple scripts in my tagging tool to ensure consistency.

Hi guys,

I have installed Moode in my Raspberry PI B+ IQ AUDIO PI-DAC +, everything seems to working pretty well, and I am planning to put the raspberry pi into the enclosure where I have my Gain Clone; so it means that normally the raspberry pi will not be accessible, but it is going to be connected via WIFI to my NAS where I have my music.

My concern is that that I am expecting that there is going to be sometimes that the system won't be shutdown properly and some corruption with time can i appear; so I wanted to ask you if some of you guys have some way to mount the / and /boot readonly , and if you neead a different partition where I have the files needed by the system and the gui to be modified and kept...

Thanks very much in advance

Could you elaborate on which specific situations you expect the Pi to be inproperly shut down? Do you mean if you want to turn it off, and... Damm no shutdown button, hmm I think I'll just pull the plug kind of situation?:eek:

In that case you need this:
Adding a Switch Raspberry Pi Geek
https://www.pi-supply.com/product/pi-supply-raspberry-pi-power-switch/

It is a nice way to add an off switch to the Pi, as to avoid the scenario above. Right now I'm building a MoOde player from an old 50W LINN LK100 amp, where I stuffing (yes stuffing) a Pi2, an Audiophonics 9023 Sabre DAC and a custom PSU, for the Pi and DAC, in which I have integrated the on-off switch.

But instead of 3 buttons, as the pi-supply has, I've managed to reduce it to one button, which is coincidently the same number of buttons as there is on the LINN amplifier;). That way I can turn it on and off with just one button press and it shuts down properly. I still need to do the mechanical assembly, but I pretty much have the hardware working. Once I'm done (ETA-never ask) I'll post pictures.

I have a few general comments about the on-off switch.

1. the 220uf capacitor, that controls the shutdown time holds the power for aprox 2-3 minutes. The Pi2 shuts down much faster, so this can be reduced to at most 68uf I think. Probably less.

2. Pi-supply posts shows two python scripts for running the switch. An interrupt based, that uses the least amount of CPU, and a while based script. I have been unable to get the interrupt script working on MoOde, but the while based script works great, and if I set the time, so the switch is checked every 0.5 seconds, the CPU impact is barely noticeable.

3. The on-off switch from Pi-supply has three buttons: On, Off and hard off. Hard off is not needed, at it is the same as pulling the plug, and on and off can be combined into one double pole pushbutton switch.

I'll be posting more about this when I have finished the player (but again never ask for ETA), and also posting some diagrams and Eagle files if somebody is interested in this kind of PSU.

Booting RPi3s

[Tech-talk alert]

I don't know about anyone else, but one of the things which really jarred me coming to the RPi from other ARM-based SBCs is the closed boot sequence of the RPi and its requirement that everything be present on the local SD/uSD card. Using a special bootcode.bin file on an SD/uSD card, it is possible for boot an RPi1 or RPi2 into a local USB drive, which is an improvement, but there's still that need for the SD/uSD card. I really missed the variety of booting sequences possible on other SBCs (usually taking advantage of open-source code known as "das U-Boot"), similar to those possible on x86/amd64 machines (because of their BIOS). They've served me well.

Thus, I'm excited by the possibilities which seem to be opening up with the RPi3. See, for example, the article USB Mass Storage Boot Beta and the article Network Boot Your Raspberry Pi. Still waiting for the dust to settle, but I see real utility here vis-a-vis Moode Player.

Regards,
Kent

Hi,

@TheOldPresbyope donated a Hifiberry DAC+Pro for the purpose of investigating the issue "Pi3 WiFi fails with DAC+Pro". Many thanks Kent :)

I was able to reproduce the issue on three virgin Raspbian Jessie Lite images as listed below.

2016-05-27 4.4.11
2016-05-10 4.4.9
2016-03-18 4.1.19

CONFIGURATION

1) Add the following to /boot/config.txt
dtoverlay=hifiberry-dacplus

2) Add the following to /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
network={
ssid="AirnetN2"
psk="the password"
}

FAILURE CASE

The telltale entries in syslog indicating failure to associate with AP. No ip address is assigned or APIPA address is assigned (see NOTE 1 below).

Aug 2 00:07:32 raspberrypi wpa_supplicant[498]: wlan0: Trying to associate with SSID 'AirnetN2'
Aug 2 00:07:33 raspberrypi wpa_supplicant[498]: wlan0: CTRL-EVENT-ASSOC-REJECT status_code=16

SUCCESS CASE

1) Remove the following in /boot/config.txt
dtoverlay=hifiberry-dacplus

Syslog entries indicating successful association with AP. Valid IP address is subsequently assigned.

Aug 2 00:27:10 raspberrypi wpa_supplicant[435]: wlan0: Trying to associate with SSID 'AirnetN2'
Aug 2 00:27:11 raspberrypi wpa_supplicant[435]: wlan0: Associated with 60:a4:4c:29:fa:d0
Aug 2 00:27:11 raspberrypi wpa_supplicant[435]: wlan0: WPA: Key negotiation completed with 60:a4:4c:29:fa:d0 [PTK=CCMP GTK=CCMP]
Aug 2 00:27:11 raspberrypi wpa_supplicant[435]: wlan0: CTRL-EVENT-CONNECTED - Connection to 60:a4:4c:29:fa:d0 completed [id=0 id_str=]

NOTES:

1) When the failure case occurs, a cold boot sometimes results in an APIPA (Automatic Private IP Addressing) 169... address being assigned. This will be unreachable from clients.

2) Pi3 + other dac boards including Hifiberry DAC+, no issues.

If anyone has a working config with a virgin Raspbian Jessie Lite image please post the config and I'll test.

Regards,
Tim

Hi,

Just a friendly bump.

Anyone have Hifiberry DAC+Pro and Pi3 Wifi working?

-Tim

Probably too early to be of any relevance ...

Yesterday evening I spent a few hours trying to make a Pi3 with Hifiberry Digi+ working with wifi. No avail.

The configuration is virtually identical to one I use on a older Moode version on a Pi2 with wifi dongle, but when I remove the ethernet cable and reboot the Pi3 it does not appear anywhere on my network.

(Incidentally, I moved to Moode 2.6 after having tried Volumio2, which is even worse in that its wifi starts in AP mode and then does NOT let you change it to the home network! But at least that tells me that the Pi3's wifi works.)

Could you elaborate on which specific situations you expect the Pi to be inproperly shut down? Do you mean if you want to turn it off, and... Damm no shutdown button, hmm I think I'll just pull the plug kind of situation?:eek:

It is a nice way to add an off switch to the Pi, as to avoid the scenario above. Right now I'm building a MoOde player from an old 50W LINN LK100 amp, where I stuffing (yes stuffing) a Pi2, an Audiophonics 9023 Sabre DAC and a custom PSU, for the Pi and DAC, in which I have integrated the on-off switch.

But instead of 3 buttons, as the pi-supply has, I've managed to reduce it to one button, which is coincidently the same number of buttons as there is on the LINN amplifier;). That way I can turn it on and off with just one button press and it shuts down properly. I still need to do the mechanical assembly, but I pretty much have the hardware working. Once I'm done (ETA-never ask) I'll post pictures.

1. the 220uf capacitor, that controls the shutdown time holds the power for aprox 2-3 minutes. The Pi2 shuts down much faster, so this can be reduced to at most 68uf I think. Probably less.

2. Pi-supply posts shows two python scripts for running the switch. An interrupt based, that uses the least amount of CPU, and a while based script. I have been unable to get the interrupt script working on MoOde, but the while based script works great, and if I set the time, so the switch is checked every 0.5 seconds, the CPU impact is barely noticeable.

3. The on-off switch from Pi-supply has three buttons: On, Off and hard off. Hard off is not needed, at it is the same as pulling the plug, and on and off can be combined into one double pole pushbutton switch.

I'll be posting more about this when I have finished the player (but again never ask for ETA), and also posting some diagrams and Eagle files if somebody is interested in this kind of PSU.

I'm really looking forward to hear more from your experiment and to see the diagram :)

First things first :) so thanks very much Aboe!!

So about why sometimes I expect that the RPI won't be correctly shutdown, is because of the way I am going to use it, and maybe the design :rolleyes::rolleyes:.. So basically as I said in my previous post I am planing to put the RPI+DAC inside the same enclosure I have the GainClone; so the power supply for the RPI come from one free secondary from the trafo (the other two are going to the GainClone) , after basic Graetz bridge + big boy capacitor and a DC-DC Buck converter, so here is the thing if I or someone presses the power button of the Amplifier, so immediately the RPI would be cut too...

So, maybe the solution of putting a push button, in the panel for doing a proper shutdown won't be bad, basically I am planing to use my phone/tablet to control the music to play and so, so maybe there is some android application for the MPD which can send the shutdown... I will have to investigate this too... But the button, I did not think on that before and it's good idea I think :)

Hey Tim: I'm having trouble playing audio from MPD now. I can play audio with the airplay receiver just fine, but I get a "NaN" message in the playback pane when I try and play audio off of the attached USB drive. I'm running the latest update, with the caveat that I've got the special hostapd install in order to allow my wifi dongle to work.

Hey Tim: I'm having trouble playing audio from MPD now. I can play audio with the airplay receiver just fine, but I get a "NaN" message in the playback pane when I try and play audio off of the attached USB drive. I'm running the latest update, with the caveat that I've got the special hostapd install in order to allow my wifi dongle to work.

Hi,

I haven't tested that alt hostapd + EDIMax yet but I did prep a config and there are definitely some diffs between the alt config and Moode config.

-Tim

Hi,
Probably too early to be of any relevance ...

Yesterday evening I spent a few hours trying to make a Pi3 with Hifiberry Digi+ working with wifi. No avail.

The configuration is virtually identical to one I use on a older Moode version on a Pi2 with wifi dongle, but when I remove the ethernet cable and reboot the Pi3 it does not appear anywhere on my network.

(Incidentally, I moved to Moode 2.6 after having tried Volumio2, which is even worse in that its wifi starts in AP mode and then does NOT let you change it to the home network! But at least that tells me that the Pi3's wifi works.)

Still same problem here but at least I get it (Moode) to work after several re-boots.

Thanks to TheOldPresbyope for donating the dac board, hope this will help to sort out things. BTW. Somebody mentioned changing WiFi channel to 6. Well, my RPi3 is set to 6 by default and changing it makes no difference.

Thanks to Tim for the effort, new update works all fine. Fingers crossed for Hifiberry DAC+PRO/WiFi solution in near future. I can't find any WiFi working virgin Raspbian Jessie Lite when DAC+PRO is attached.

Hi!
First of all: thank you so much for such a beautiful piece of software!
I tried Volumio and RuneAudio before discovering Moode and this is is by far the best of all in my opinion!!!
I myself am into software development and I can appreciate the work behind that and the quality of it.
Thanks to you I know have the ultimate HiFi setup and I'm really grateful for that.
I tried to search the thread for answers to my questions before coming here to bother you, but sadly I didn't find anything (even though I'm pretty sure I'm not the first to ask):
- I saw that you deliberately chose to not list all tracks if no album is selected for efficiency reasons, but do you think it would be possible to select multiple artists and albums (maybe by pressing ctrl and/or shift you could select a range of albums and then see their combined content)?
- Would it be possible to play a track or album by simply double clicking/tapping on them instead of having to click on the "action" icon first?

Of course those are just suggestions: I really don't want to seem like I'm criticizing or anything like that.

Thanks again for such an amazing work!

Hi!
First of all: thank you so much for such a beautiful piece of software!
I tried Volumio and RuneAudio before discovering Moode and this is is by far the best of all in my opinion!!!
I myself am into software development and I can appreciate the work behind that and the quality of it.
Thanks to you I know have the ultimate HiFi setup and I'm really grateful for that.
I tried to search the thread for answers to my questions before coming here to bother you, but sadly I didn't find anything (even though I'm pretty sure I'm not the first to ask):
- I saw that you deliberately chose to not list all tracks if no album is selected for efficiency reasons, but do you think it would be possible to select multiple artists and albums (maybe by pressing ctrl and/or shift you could select a range of albums and then see their combined content)?
- Would it be possible to play a track or album by simply double clicking/tapping on them instead of having to click on the "action" icon first?

Of course those are just suggestions: I really don't want to seem like I'm criticizing or anything like that.

Thanks again for such an amazing work!

Hi,

Thanks for the nice compliment! I really appreciate that :)

On the Library panel, if u click the cover art image (or the default Moode image) a menu will appear with Add, Play, Clear/Play. This allows whole Album, Artist, Genre or entire collection to be played.

Yes, efficiency/performance. The original code always listed all the tracks, even for entire collection. This killed the Browser so I rewrote it to only list tracks for an Album.

Also I think the original code for the Library panel had some sort of multi-select (ctrl-click) mechanism but it definitely did not work. Some of that code is probably still in playerlib.js.

Multi-select would be nice feature for Library panel but maybe js-hell to impliment ;-)

-Tim

Hi,

Just a few quick iPhone pics of MoodeCase.

The finish is industrial strength, matte black power coat with a zero-fingerprint texture. The rear panels are machined with double-D, no-twist through holes for the DC barrel connectors and Neutrik RCA jacks. A custom speaker terminal block provides easy and secure wire connections. The front panel is shown with a really nice ALPS rotary encoder and vintage Fender Telecaster knurled volume knob :)

Regards,
Tim

Attachments

• MoodeCase-1-FP.png
    MoodeCase-1-FP.png
    738.8 KB · Views: 375
  • MoodeCase-2-AMP.png
    MoodeCase-2-AMP.png
    741.5 KB · Views: 358
  • MoodeCase-3-DAC.png
    MoodeCase-3-DAC.png
    777.1 KB · Views: 353