Modulus-86 build thread

I'm not sure why the talk about full range drivers on this thread. I have my modulus-86 driving a pair of Tekton Lore and I am amazed at the oomph it has. Maybe its the huge AS-3222 Antek transformer I used, but the kick is pretty good. Good enough to drive some inefficient speakers probably. Just feels like its putting out more watts than I know it has. Has anybody tried some old classic three way speakers with it?

Started my four R2.0 modules last night. Mostly finished them up tonight. Thought I had some 18ga magnet wire still floating around but it ended up being 20ga. I plan on canabalizing an old inductor to finish them up. I ended up with about 5-5.5 hours total. Still need to clean the board as well.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    543.3 KB · Views: 404
135 pages with minimal thoughts comparisons on what this amplifier sounds like single driver speakers don't cut it ...been waiting for that guy from Taiwan to post up what he really thinks but nothing hmmm..

Tom my offer still stands I would be happy to do it give me the chance I promise I will be honest

Lawrence

Joined 2014
Paid Member
It's a build thread to help people build it, that's why.

And to repeat what I have said before. It should sound of nothing. It has less distortion than your ears can detect. Pennies cannot buy a more neutral amplifier. Builders are happily listening to music. No seal pups were clubbed etc.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Still don't see what use you reviewing mod-86 would be. You can buy it, or ignore it.

Just for a bit of history for those not been following this thread.
19th March 2015 SK8TR ask for ;'samples' to review
10th December 2015 he pops up again and asks the same
Today same again.

Last edited:
fredjones;46263Just feels like its putting out more watts than I know it has. Has anybody tried some old classic three way speakers with it?[/QUOTE said:
I agree, it seems to have more oomph than one would expect Just for grins I hooked my (V1.0) Mod 86 up to my vintage Dahlquist DQ-10's (notorious power hungry 5 ways) that I've never run with less than 100 W.

Well, the grins lasted many months as it sayed hooked up and had no issues driving them at anything less than unlistenable, ear splitting SPL - go figure?

Neurochrome.com
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Tom my offer still stands I would be happy to do it give me the chance I promise I will be honest

I trust your honesty and I would love to be in a position where I had a stack of amplifiers sitting around and I could have a couple to ship around as demo units. That would mean that I had enough cash flow to establish that kind of inventory and it would mean that I had someone else building the amps for me and designing the shipping boxes to ensure that the amps would survive the trips. I don't have that kind of cash flow and I'd have to take a week out of my schedule to build another amp. What would my return on investment be? Would my time be better spent pushing on new product development and paying jobs?

Now, if I ever end up in a situation where I have cash burning holes in my pockets and keep tripping over stacks of amps, you'll be the second in line to review one. First in the review line would be a friend of mine who used to be a technical reviewer with HiFi World (UK). I forget if he still writes for them on occasion.

Sorry to disappoint. Many people seem to like my amps. Just flip back a few pages and read about it. Also keep in mind that only about $400 stands between you and a completed amp. I have plenty of boards in stock... ;)

Tom

Last edited:
135 pages with minimal thoughts comparisons on what this amplifier sounds like single driver speakers don't cut it ...been waiting for that guy from Taiwan to post up what he really thinks but nothing hmmm..

Lawrence

As a matter of fact, another local friend was also wondering when I'd get it together. But I just have not been able to slip it back into my schedule.
What I can say is the amplifier design itself will not disappoint, but the power supply is going to be the varying factor. As I am also focused on system integration, the total system phase linearization is an important issue. So even if it does not sound perfect with the amplifier, there will be other parts in the system that dominate and needs to be dealt with. This is often overlooked by most consumers when conducting listening evaluations of individual equipment.

Currently the last part of phase linearization is for the sound card, which I hope can be resolved this year when Bodzio Software gets the measurement capability either into it's Ultimate Equalizer or allow SoundEasy single channel measurement data to be readable by Ultimate equalizer, then I will know exactly how much that part influences the sound.

With a good full range driver and a fully linearised system, the feel you will get out of the music is very realistic and emotionally moving. But there will also be some little things specific to each equipment and the interface.

I will be in the Bay Area June 28 through July 15, if anyone wishes to get together and discuss audio, please feel free to pm me.

Ian I have been telling people about who I am what I do and what I know for years on the lenco forum

FULTON! Premiere 7 way 13cycle to 100kc!! Lowest distortion speaker ever made!

Ian you some reading to do on the forum

Take care

Lawrence

Hi Lawrence,
Even as an admin on the Lenco Heaven forum I don't read everything! The only thing I could find there was a photo you posted of your speakers. A little searching of the web produced the exact same photo on AudioKarma only these belong to JB Stemp - perhaps that is you or you bought them from him. Odd though as he describes them as the J-Modular model not the Premiere and they have a response of 22Hz to 48KHz. Anyway, I'm sure you love them as I love my full-rangers but I can only report on the Modulus-86 using my equipment. Next month I'm taking the amp to the HiFiWigwam show - a UK gathering of enthusiasts so I dare say I will be able to try it with a wide range of speakers there.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
As a matter of fact, another local friend was also wondering when I'd get it together. But I just have not been able to slip it back into my schedule.
What I can say is the amplifier design itself will not disappoint, but the power supply is going to be the varying factor. As I am also focused on system integration, the total system phase linearization is an important issue. So even if it does not sound perfect with the amplifier, there will be other parts in the system that dominate and needs to be dealt with. This is often overlooked by most consumers when conducting listening evaluations of individual equipment.

Currently the last part of phase linearization is for the sound card, which I hope can be resolved this year when Bodzio Software gets the measurement capability either into it's Ultimate Equalizer or allow SoundEasy single channel measurement data to be readable by Ultimate equalizer, then I will know exactly how much that part influences the sound.

With a good full range driver and a fully linearised system, the feel you will get out of the music is very realistic and emotionally moving. But there will also be some little things specific to each equipment and the interface.

I will be in the Bay Area June 28 through July 15, if anyone wishes to get together and discuss audio, please feel free to pm me.

You might want to look at the new phase linearization and analyses suite being offered at discount to DiYA members here. It seems to provide some nice benefits and when used with DSP engines in Jriver and a sound card - can provide very nice results.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full...on-what-can-we-do-dsp-power-now-availabl.html

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hi Lawrence,
Even as an admin on the Lenco Heaven forum I don't read everything! The only thing I could find there was a photo you posted of your speakers. A little searching of the web produced the exact same photo on AudioKarma only these belong to JB Stemp - perhaps that is you or you bought them from him. Odd though as he describes them as the J-Modular model not the Premiere and they have a response of 22Hz to 48KHz. Anyway, I'm sure you love them as I love my full-rangers but I can only report on the Modulus-86 using my equipment. Next month I'm taking the amp to the HiFiWigwam show - a UK gathering of enthusiasts so I dare say I will be able to try it with a wide range of speakers there.

There are not too many speakers I know of with a spec of 13Hz - that is quite a feat. 22Hz is more reasonable but still very low.

Last edited:
You might want to look at the new phase linearization and analyses suite being offered at discount to DiYA members here. It seems to provide some nice benefits and when used with DSP engines in Jriver and a sound card - can provide very nice results.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full...on-what-can-we-do-dsp-power-now-availabl.html
Looks interesting. Ultimate Equalizer currently does export FIR filters in the wav file format which can be used with Jriver. But looking into other solutions to see if others do better is always an option.

Hi Lawrence,

Hey bud...yeah that is a very nice picture of what my speakers look like...I didn't say in that thread that these are my exact speakers LOL... that's why i posted it..J's and premieres look exactly alike

Lawrence

you totally lost my respect with this single driver speaker stuff...I don't care how its loaded or how you implement it there will be a lot of IM DISTORTION!

why on earth would you use a very clean super low distortion amplifier with something that's going to produce hundreds times..... amounts of distortions!?

sometimes I Wonder

Lawrence

Hey bud...yeah that is a very nice picture of what my speakers look like...I didn't say in that thread that these are my exact speakers LOL... that's why i posted it..J's and premieres look exactly alike

Lawrence
You said on the other forum "He is a good picture of my beloved very wide band speakers (13-100kc) Fulton Premere" (sic) apologies for my assumption that this meant your speakers.

you totally lost my respect with this single driver speaker stuff...I don't care how its loaded or how you implement it there will be a lot of IM DISTORTION!

why on earth would you use a very clean super low distortion amplifier with something that's going to produce hundreds times..... amounts of distortions!?

sometimes I Wonder

Lawrence

Depends on how you are measuring distortion of speakers. It is much different from measuring amplifiers.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Also, a full range driver when used with a horn can cover 400Hz to 20kHz with very low distortion (-60dB) and having a clean amp here makes a difference. Full range drivers used with a low XO like in FAST systems do not necessarily have high disortion because cone movement is for example, only 50 microns to produce 100dB.

Just because someone uses full range doesn't automatically equate to higher distortion than multi-way systems.