Modulus-86 build thread

Neurochrome.com
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Tom, did you get this running? How did you chose the Saffire over the miniDSP 4x10? Any problems with programming the transfer function with Reaper? My guess is you were pretty much on your own.

My "daily driver" is a pair of LXmini speakers driven by four channels of Modulus-86. The source is a Focusrite Saffire PRO24 and a 2010 Macbook Pro running iTunes, MixControl (the Saffire software), and Reaper with ReaEQ. It works great. My only wishlist item is a better volume control in iTunes. The issue is that I can't get the music low enough when the iTunes volume control is a touch above MUTE. I solve it by dialling down the volume in MixControl by about 18 dB when I don't need to crank the stereo that loud. Sonos has a much better volume control implementation than iTunes. I may eventually upgrade to a Sonos, but thus far I'm choosing to save the money.

You get the MiniDSP setup file from Linkwitz directly. The filter frequencies can be read from the file (or you can spend $10 on the MiniDSP plug-in so you can load the file and see the filter setup). The only snag was that the shelving filters in MiniDSP use dB of boost/cut whereas ReaEQ defines shelving filters by their Q. There's probably some math somewhere that one could do if so inclined, but I was more interested in getting the system running.
I was building an amp with the MiniDSP built in for a friend at the same time, so I just ran the MiniDSP and my Saffire on the APx525 until the filter responses lined up. I can probably post the Reaper setup file on OPLUG. Need to double-check with SL on this so I don't give away his secrets.
Quite a few guys on the OPLUG (Orion Pluto LX User Group) forum use XOs other than MiniDSP, so there's a fair amount of help available.

Tom

Non-latching like this? Std. Neutrik part.

BK

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I have used these and I like them. I have no technical justification other than they're a metal housing with gold plated connectors and solder cups. NC3FD-L-B-1 - Neutrik
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I used Neutrik NC3FD-L-1. Got them at Mouser, I think.

Nope. I've seen non-latching on Parasound and Ashly gear.

Tom
Yes Tom, they even leave the casting unpopulated for the special requirement to make it non latching

all XLR are latching. That's the bit I know with my current information.

Some customers require non latching.
For these customers, it appears that some manufacturers will assemble a latching XLR without the latching mechanism.

That is what I see in the pic provided by bk856er, it is a latching XLR socket with the latching mechanism unpopulated.

Last edited:
Joined 2014
Paid Member
If the latching mechanism is not fitted, its non latching. Simples.

" all XLR are latching. That's the bit I know with my current information." is wrong as you have been shown pictures of on latching.

Just to clarify things have a look here AA Series - Neutrik from a simple google. It shows a spring retention rather than latch option. This way we all learn that its not just 'assemble without the latching mechanism'. but a different retention method.

GIYF.

I can see the picture
The socket is made to be latching.
The manufacturer has omitted the latching mechanism for that order.

I can also see your google version.
It is offered in two versions: latching and -0 where a spring retention is offered in lieu of the latch.

Last edited:
You cannot see if they have a spring retainer.................
I can see the spring retainer version, I acknowledged that when I posted
I can also see your google version.
It is offered in two versions: latching and -0
Is it so hard so say 'I didn't know that. Great I know something else'? Or does the pedant in you not allow it:p
I did say that
Until these last two posts I did not know that anyone made non latching XLR.
But you seem to have missed it while looking for an argument.
This started when I posted
As far as I know, all XLR are latched.
I now know better. They do sell non latched versions, but these are actually the latched type, built with the latching mechanism omitted.

Last edited:
You cannot see if they have a spring retainer. Hard tooling is expensive so likely its dual use. Neutrik is the accepted standard so it's very likely others have followed.

Is it so hard so say 'I didn't know that. Great I know something else'? Or does the pedant in you not allow it:p

I really did not mean to set this off. It's nearly Christmas, not Guy Fawkes Night!
It's not your fault.

It's Bills, he repeatedly comes looking for an argument with my posts.
I don't know why, maybe he can explain his behaviour.

hint_black_back.jpg

I often strongly disapprove of the abrasiveness of Billshurv's postings, but the word 'gibberish' does come to mind with regard to some peoples contributions,

Last edited:
Quite a few guys on the OPLUG (Orion Pluto LX User Group) forum use XOs other than MiniDSP, so there's a fair amount of help available.

I found your posts to the "MiniDSP problems" thread at OPLUG and see that you had the Saffire PRO24 prior to building the LXminis. It seems to be less expensive than the miniDSP 4x10 - CAN$399 vs US$499. Are they more or less equivalent? I had understood the 4x10 provided a solution to the 2x4 volume control problem.

The Reaper setup file wouldn't help me unless I change software platforms. I'm on Ubuntu and assuming a plugin like ReaEQ is available for Ardour.

BTW, I take this moment to thank you for Mod86. It has been a pleasure building it. Thanks also to all the contributors to this thread.