Modulus-86 build thread

Thank you all. Just to be clear, I was not asking for AC-DC dual voltage PSUs. I'm 99% sure I'll be using Tom's SMPS86. My intention is to plug a laptop charger to the enclosure, say 24 or 48VDC, and an internal isolated DC to dual DC converter + regulation. Why? Because I seek two features,

1. Avoid working with mains
  2. Small enclosure (ie avoid toroid + PSU)

If you do find something that you think is a good fit, please post a link. I'd be very interested.

Tom
Closest thing I've found is Traco Power TEN 60-2425N but it's half the power of SMPS86.

Thank you all. Just to be clear, I was not asking for AC-DC dual voltage PSUs. I'm 99% sure I'll be using Tom's SMPS86. My intention is to plug a laptop charger to the enclosure, say 24 or 48VDC, and an internal isolated DC to dual DC converter + regulation. Why? Because I seek two features,

1. Avoid working with mains
  2. Small enclosure (ie avoid toroid + PSU)

Ah! I've been down that road too for similar reasons. I haven't found a good solution yet. I'm sure you can build something, but there aren't a whole lot of good solutions available in the ±24-±36 V space you'll want for a MOD86/286. Usually the negative regulator is the issue.

Vacu, I'd be cautious about buying a 'random' SMPS off eBay.

Yeah. There are several tear-down videos of cheap supplies, that show failures from short circuits between primary and secondary - i.e. have the potential (literally!) to kill the user. I see no reason why the eBay supplies would be any different.

Tom

RPS 200 Power Supplies

I built one dual Mod-86 powered by Mean well RPS-200-24 power supplies, and a quad Mod-86 powered by mean well RPS-400-27 power supplies. The RPS-200 run much cooler than the RPS-400. Both systems are able to run at high volume with out any power supply issues. Best regards.

Attachments

• 20180817_144511.jpg
    20180817_144511.jpg
    603.8 KB · Views: 410
I built one dual Mod-86 powered by Mean well RPS-200-24 power supplies, and a quad Mod-86 powered by mean well RPS-400-27 power supplies. The RPS-200 run much cooler than the RPS-400. Both systems are able to run at high volume with out any power supply issues. Best regards.

Very cool!! Thank you for sharing. I really like Mean Well. Their products are well spec'd and meet their specs. I've also had the opportunity to deal directly with their customer support / applications team. They respond within 12-24 hours even to a small company like me, and respond to questions that many others would ignore, such as "which temperature sensor do you use?".

It's good to hear that the RPS-200 is useful for the MOD86.

BTW: If you get the chance, I'd suggest adding some heat shrink on the connections for the mains switch.

Tom

Seems a decent upgrade on the Allo Boss.

PecanPi - Next Generation Raspberry Pi DAC and Streamer | Audio Science Review (ASR) Forum

Though there is a certain synergy in mating a Canadian designed DAC with Canadian amps. :)
Ha, yes I bet there is.

I did look into ians creations but at this point, its far too advanced for me to get my head around, so I'm told lol.

I haven't given up on the idea, just decided that as an immediate solution I could do far worse than the Pecan.