Modulus-86 build thread

OKI metcal question

I posted this in the tools & equipment section and haven't gotten a reply. Thought someone on this site may have some info.

Most of the Metcal stations on ebay are labeled made in China and have some Chinese writing. I've seen one or two with Menlo Park Ca., and mace in USA. They have no Made in China or Chinese writing.

The OKI website says it began re-branding OKI stuff as Metcal beginning in 2013. Is that when Metcal devices started listing made in China printed on the back label? Is the OKI, Metcal branded equipment, as good as the original Metcal equipment? I want to ge a PS-900 but don't know if the ones made in china are as good as the pre 2013 ones.

Thanks,
henry

The OKI website says it began re-branding OKI stuff as Metcal beginning in 2013. Is that when Metcal devices started listing made in China printed on the back label?

That sounds like a great question to ask your OKI/METCAL sales representative. If the OKI stations with Chinese writing are indeed fakes, I'm sure OKI would be interested in knowing about them as well.

Tom

Just spoke with a sales and then a tech rep at OKI Metcal. They told me they have been making all Mectal stations in China, at their own company, for quite a few years. I mentioned used ones on ebay with made in the USA label an was told they are probably 15 years old. Bottom line is they have been made in China for quite a while and they haven't experienced any problems or the need for recalls. The warranty is the same as when they were made in the USA and I don't feel like getting 15 year old equipment.

I guess I'll look on ebay, and not worry about the made in china label, or buy a new one. Complete Used PS-900 stations, on ebay, are sometimes less and sometimes more than brand new from authorized distributors.

Last edited:
Tom, I tried T & E and didn't get replies so asked here.

No worries. As I mentioned a few pages back, I love my MX-500. That's the only METCAL I have experience with.

Tom, bought some Molex faston type quick connects. They work great with the Molex crimp tool. [...] $60 vs $260 was a no-brainer. Thanks for the recommendation.

You're welcome.

Tom

I spent some time on the Kester site, and if I understand correctly, sn63pb37 is eutectic and sn60pb40 is not and I think they both use Kester 44 rosin.

Does one have better conductivity? I have used both and the results were bright, shiny, clean looking joints. I'm thinking the rosin went up in smoke. Even thought they look clean should the joints be wiped with acetone or alcohol for cleaning?

Thanks,
henry

I seem to recall writing the better part of a dissertation on that a few weeks back... :)

I should probably dig out that post and get the content onto my website. Here's the relevant post: Post #1636.

Unless the alloy is different, there's no difference in conductivity. Even for different alloys, I strongly doubt you'll find a meaningful difference in conductivity. That's not to say there isn't one, just that I strongly doubt it'll be a meaningful one.

Tom

Last edited:
Tom, just read your post 1636 and it answers all my questions. Thanks again. Are you a professor at some university? Your designs, work and writing certainly seem you would easily qualify.

Well, thank you. I'm actually an undergraduate student right now, working on my second career. I'm going for psychology this time. I haven't quite decided exactly where to go with it. Organizational behaviour is presenting a strong pull, but I could easily see myself enjoying clinical psychology as well.
I was three years into a PhD in Electrical Engineering, not really getting anywhere with it, essentially working as a grossly underpaid consultant, when I was offered a job with National Semiconductor and decided to do that instead. After ten years with National and surviving the acquisition by TI, I'd had my fill and wanted a change. Teaching is fun, though. I taught a senior-level capstone class in electrical engineering on analog circuits. Opamps, how they work, how to use them, stability, DC and AC precision, noise, etc. Good times. That's the closest I've been to being a professor.

Tom