Moderating

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found this on interesting also.

Caldon Biotech
Caldon Biotech Inc. was incorporated in 1997 in the state of California in the United States. one of the key suppliers of Aldolase reagents.
Caldon Biotech - Cached - Similar

Specialized products for the clinical laboratory:
As one of the key suppliers of Aldolase reagents, the company offers a high quality single vial reagent with applications on multiple clinical analyzers. The company is also the leading supplier for Sputolysin reagent in the US market

Specialized products for research
With advances in genomics and proteomics, cost effective nucleic acid labeling is very important. The company has been licensed to distribute a unique labeling reagent that has a wide spectrum of uses

Specialized Raw material supplier
The company is a distributor of Hepatitis B Surface Antigens type AY & AD

Disabled Account
Joined 2007
Thanks for the support MJL , but...

Does there always has to be a 'but'...?:whazzat:

...then you will certainly end up in the bin.

When it happens (if it happens) that will be my cue to check out - I'm not cut out for prison life.
:)

and we don't like pointless posts particularly either..

Some would say that the entire thread, the one I posted in, is pointless. I didn't feel that I was particularly disrupting anything important.
As for targeting one person repeatedly, that's a perspective thing and there is always 2 sides to every story. No one bothered to ask for my side, I'd give it honestly if asked.
Still, you men are doing a great job and I respect that.

I have the right to say that a number of your moderators (not all of them!) are biased ******** that do nothing but to protect their own interests.

Interests? What interests?

Commercial interests. There is one moderator who is also a snake oil vendor. I could be more specific, but anybody who knows what's going on will know who I'm talking about. It shouldn't be allowed.

Last edited:
diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
....Some would say that the entire thread, the one I posted in, is pointless. I didn't feel that I was particularly disrupting anything important.
As for targeting one person repeatedly, that's a perspective thing and there is always 2 sides to every story. .................

Well, maybe that was taken into account.......... That thread is usually a mess, but occasionally something interesting pops up. Interesting things might pop up more if the mess isn't encouraged.

Commercial interests. There is one moderator who is also a snake oil vendor. I could be more specific, but anybody who knows what's going on will know who I'm talking about. It shouldn't be allowed.

Quite a few mods are involved in the audio business and/or sales. Not all of them are snake oil merchands, and most of them are decent mods.

But then any conflict of interests should be avoided. As long as no technical censorship is exercised, a mod doesn't need to be an expert. Common sense and some good PR skills are good enough.

Hi all

I've just recently joined diyAudio, think it's great and appreciate the efforts of all concerned.

However, despite extensive scratching around, I've been unable to find anything resembling "Forum rules" or "Guidlines for acceptable behaviour".:confused:

Seems to me it would be a good idea to put the rules/guidelines (and consequences for breaking them) somewhere easy to find - maybe in the site FAQ or a sticky in the "Site announcements" section or member's area.

Hopefully we all agree that members should stick to "the rules" and that mods should be impartial and objective in enforcing "the rules", but unless we're all clear on exactly what "the rules" are, there's bound to be .... well .... um .... the kind of bickering that's been happening in the last few pages of this thread.:rolleyes:

I did find this thread: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/everything-else/5054-diyaudio-rules-moderators-statement.html hiding in the "General interest" area, but the links there are broken.

Cheers - Godfrey

This is dangerous ground. Even some of the "sacred cows" here have an unrealistic view of how things work in the rest of the world. They have their armies of flying monkeys to enforce order.

Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
Hi all

I've just recently joined diyAudio, think it's great and appreciate the efforts of all concerned.

However, despite extensive scratching around, I've been unable to find anything resembling "Forum rules" or "Guidlines for acceptable behaviour".:confused:

Seems to me it would be a good idea to put the rules/guidelines (and consequences for breaking them) somewhere easy to find - maybe in the site FAQ or a sticky in the "Site announcements" section or member's area.

Hopefully we all agree that members should stick to "the rules" and that mods should be impartial and objective in enforcing "the rules", but unless we're all clear on exactly what "the rules" are, there's bound to be .... well .... um .... the kind of bickering that's been happening in the last few pages of this thread.:rolleyes:

I did find this thread: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/everything-else/5054-diyaudio-rules-moderators-statement.html hiding in the "General interest" area, but the links there are broken.

Cheers - Godfrey

I take the blame for this. When we updated the website, the old rules and guidelines announcement wasn't carried over. When we realized this, I thought it was an opportune time to review of the guidelines to bring them up to date. Heavy and intense debate (privately) ensued and when the dust settled, it was my job to put together the new guidelines and make them official. I haven't got round to that yet and for this I apologize to the community. I try not to get involved in the politics here unless absolutely necessary (for example, I haven't posted in this thread previously), because if I'm spending hours (and it usually takes at least 1 hour to properly reply to a message involving forum politics) I wouldn't get any development done, and there's plenty to do. I will always push for a middle path of tolerance, understanding and respect.

I believe we have a reasonably balanced mod team that spans both sides of the objective/subjective divide and I for one am very happy with the diversity that it allows here. There are 1,000 new posts a day and the unpaid moderation team we have perform an often thankless and stressful job to serve the community day in, day out, by doing the best they can to strip out the noise and maintain order.

In the early days, the head moderator burnt out within a few months from the constant assault on their best efforts. Being a policeman in the middle of what is sometimes a holy war is no easy task, and I suggest you try putting yourself in their position sometimes. Thankfully these days our moderators do have thicker skin and more experience and can stand the heat because they know they are doing their best to serve the community, have the support of a diverse team and have the tools to do it.

Is the moderation on diyAudio patchy? Absolutely. There are only so many moderators and a deluge of posts, and the "hotter" threads will get more attention than others.

Is it even handed? I firmly believe this to be the case.

Do those members at the extremes think it's even handed? Of course not.

Do the moderators have time to justify every decision in public? Considering that such justification would encourage further debate, the cycle would never end. Current policy is not to make deletions public and to deal with people in private and not in public. This is targeted, effective, and a better use of their time in general and serves to "pour water on the fire" instead of "pouring fuel on the fire". If every decision had to be debated in public being a moderator would soon become such a chore we would have none.

Forum politics is cyclical. People come, people leave. As I remember Jan saying in 2002, "some people leave because there is too much moderation. Some people leave because there is too little moderation". Sadly, some of the smartest guys here also have the biggest egos but thankfully that is the exception and not the rule.

There will always be a vocal minority that thinks it's being persecuted, and every community will always have that. It's not uncommon to see members that the moderators have gone out of their way to (for want of a better word) "protect" at the same time complaining about being persecuted by them.

So, Godfrey, thank you for the message and "reminder". Expect to see a new guidelines document within this week, which will include a new section on "Respect".

Last edited:
<snip>
I believe we have a reasonably balanced mod team that spans both sides of the objective/subjective divide and I for one am very happy with the diversity that it allows here.
<snip>

A very balanced and ultimately politically correct message. There's very little to add and/or debate after this.

Except that, like it or not, there's something terribly wrong happening with this forum. I can only hope that, beyond some glossy wording and PC phrasing, you are aware of it.

Good luck!

Except that, like it or not, there's something terribly wrong happening with this forum.

Agreed. A reactionary clique has appeared that believes topics should be restricted only to subjects approved by Doug Self, the Audio Critic or indexed in Horowitz and Hill. Even the most capable and expert audio professionals with decades of accolades and awards are deemed unworthy. In their eyes this forum is in danger of collapsing into fun, and that can lead to dancing.

Jason,

Thank you for the clarification. Unfortunately there are far too many threads which attract the holders of extremes of viewpoint to such an extent that any form of serious debate - from which most of us can probably learn - becomes impossible. There are about six to ten posters who do not seem to have an inkling of common sense and I suspect that one or two are not always remembering that they have repeated and repeated themselves ad infinitum. There is also an ever growing band of questioners who simply cannot be bothered to read any but the last few posts on a topic. It is insulting the good will of posters who arer big-hearted enough to answer the same question three or four times per 100 posts!!

For a while I was angry with the responses (which often come in sarcastic terms) from many of the far more experienced and knowledgeable members. Now I understand the frustration which inane repetitive posting causes and have sided with those who often react less than graciously; (even though I may very often disagree with their basic points of view.) Many previously strong, knowledgeable members without attitude problems have already left.

Please don't allow the lunatics to take over the asylum.

Lastly, I do think that more posters could use the 'spellcheck' facility; US English has many different spellings from UK English - but many over here bow to the fact that US English is the norm on this forum.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.