MJK’s Jordan JX92S OB with a Goldwood GW-1858 Woofer in an H Frame

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
kmaier said:
I guess I sorta enticed you to pick up a pair of the F120A, so I was also quite interested to hear your impressions on them. I don't have the Jordan so can not comment there. I would recommend more time on the F120A to break them in, then give them another shot.

KM,

You did not have to say too much, I have been interested in the F120A for a long time. It is a really nice driver and I will be working with it some more. The Jordan is also a very nice driver and in my opinion they are direct competitors with small sonic differences that would lead a buyer to make a personal preference type of decision between the two.

Quality Full Range drivers make a lot of different to the sound quality, cheaper drivers like FE167E(*) and others are not strong contenders of very high quality sound reproduction.

To spend money on which drivers to buy like Jordan or F120A is a difficult choice. Both are not that expensive compared Lowther or Feastex and within the budget of some DIYers.

* I own one.

ecir38 said:
in another forum you discussed trying the FE126E too. Is this driver still on your list to try?

Yes definitely. It has been very busy at home lately and heading into the holidays it probably will get even more hectic. I am hoping that next week over Thanksgiving or maybe over the week between Christmas and New Years I will have some time to pull the OB section apart and try a few more drivers and even a couple of passive crossovers. However, I was scoping out a passive crossover for the FE-126E and did not have much success, it is a little too efficient so the only option would be an active set-up. Free time is at a premium right now.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
ttan98 said:

I consider what you are doing as "tweaking" ie optimise the performance of the driver.

If you apply similar idea(s) to better quality drivers you get EVEN performenance from them.

Indeed you do... but everyone has a budget, and eventually you just run out of drivers... from limited experience and extrapolating, your FE167 can be tweaked to better performance than a limited edition stock FE167eSR @$400/pr.

And if you diy, it doesn't cost much.

dave

planet10 said:

Indeed you do... but everyone has a budget, and eventually you just run out of drivers... from limited experience and extrapolating, your FE167 can be tweaked to better performance than a limited edition stock FE167eSR @$400/pr.

And if you diy, it doesn't cost much.

dave

I don't know how good is FE167ESR at $400 a pop, F120A maybe a better choice, cheaper and I heard good reviews about it.

I am not saying FE167 is not good, for the price it is selling it is very good indeed and it can be optimised to sound better. Comparing it(std FE167) to a good std. mid range driver it lacks body to the music, it sounds leaner and drier. What it lacks it made up for the coherency, etc.

Martin:

"On another front, I now have passive crossovers designed for the Jordan, the F120A, and the Goldwood H frame which will eliminate the need for bi amping and an active crossover".

I'm wondering whether you've made any progress with the passive crossovers. Using an online calculator I think the low pass components would be a 17 mH inductor plus a 150 uF capacitor (for the Goldwood GW-1858 with LR2 at 100Hz) and a 10 mH and 40 uF for the high pass (the Jordan JX92S LR2 at 250Hz). Yes?

Thanks!

holdent said:
I'm wondering whether you've made any progress with the passive crossovers. Using an online calculator I think the low pass components would be a 17 mH inductor plus a 150 uF capacitor (for the Goldwood GW-1858 with LR2 at 100Hz) and a 10 mH and 40 uF for the high pass (the Jordan JX92S LR2 at 250Hz). Yes?

Close.

Low Pass

L1 = 13 mH ERSE Super Q 16 AWG ($25.05)
C2 = 150 uF ERSE 400V ($32.60)

High Pass for JX92S

C1 = 51 uF ERSE 250V ($11.36)
L2 = 5.6 mH ERSE Super Q 16 AWG ($19.70)

I use a version of my MathCad OB worksheets that allows passive filters and iterate the component values to get a smooth crossover response curve. The actual impedance of the driver and the DC resistance of the inductores are used in the calculation of the circuit components and the final SPL response curves.

I built the crossovers earlier this week and connected them into the speakers this morning. I have not spent much time with the new configuration but it seems to do a very good job. Sounds a lot like the original active crossover version.

I have a set of crossovers partially built for the F120A and am going to make a new pair of baffles so I can swap full range drivers quickly. Should have that up and running in the next few weeks.

I will listen some more and then write up the results of both configurations with some pictures and analysis results, maybe even some in room measurements.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.