Miscellaneous designs - Markaudio, Fostex, TB, Dayton, SEAS etc

Maybe wrong the thread to ask in, but since you’re talking about fa22 anyway I’ll take my chances.

I’m building the 60 litre closed cabinet from the seas exotic f8 app note and wonder if anyone with a bit of experience could give me some advice about stuffing/lining/damping of this cabinet?

For info: it’s a slim floor standing enclosure of about 60L, it is supposedly well braced with holy bracing. Only differences from seas drawing is Baltic birch Instead of mdf, 24mm baffle and I’m going to use fa22 instead of exotic drivers, if it makes a difference.
It’s going to be used mostly in a smallish bass dominant room.

This is my first speaker project and because of the limited access to rear part of cabinet after glueing it together, I would greatly appreciate if someone could give me some specific advice on how this should be done right.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Care has tpo be taken around the driver. Damping should be much less and then get denser. In cabinets with walls closer to the driver i will line the walls near th edriver with natural felt, but that is moot for my build of these.

You might have to play. Adding more damping, to a point, will mean a slower roll-off and how that ineracts with your room will deterine how much is just right.

dave

I am considering building a current source amplifier (First Watt F1, or F2J), and I was wondering if anyone is using a parallel impedance network on any of their Mark Audio / Planet 10/ Woden design speaker systems as discussed by Nelson Pass?

Is there either starting points or calculators out there than can help an end user know where to begin with such parallel networks?

Thanks.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I believe the F2 has a 4 ohm output impedance, if used with a speaker with higher impedance (most MA drivers), the amp actually falls on the voltage side of zero, but very close to the point where it would be a current amplifier.

F1 has 40 ohm Rout i believe, and those 2 amps would need quite different treatment when it comes to tweaking the speaker.

In a well damped box, the F2 will likely need no help, the F1 on the other hand has 10x the Rout and is beyond my experience.

dave

Thanks Dave, that is great info to know. The speaker is going to likely be the CHN-110 in the Kewel MLQW.

The F1 has an 80 output impedance.
The F2J has 15 ohms out. It is the Sit 2 with the 4 ohms out, that is not in my plans.

I will likely build the F2J since I have the Semisouth parts and would like to keep good 2dn order harmonic profile.

Matt

A moderately sized DCR for Tang Band's W8-1808, which I've called Mastodon 'just because'.

Attachments

• Mastodon W8-1808 DCR.PNG
    Mastodon W8-1808 DCR.PNG
    192.6 KB · Views: 677
Reactions: 1 user
DCRs have a double tuning, so depending on the lower Fb you can have slightly better power-handling through the midbass region where a lot of the energy in rock music etc. tends to reside.

If you start with the overall taxonomic order of Proboscidea, the Mammut / Mastodon were a genus of the now extinct Mammutidae family within that. Woolly mammoths were part of the related Elephantidae family, so were technically closer to the modern African and Asian elephants than the Mastodon. Something roughly like this (there were lots of different families I haven't added for the sake of brevity):

Attachments

• Heffalumps.PNG
    Heffalumps.PNG
    9.7 KB · Views: 405
Last edited: