Miscellaneous designs - Markaudio, Fostex, TB, Dayton, SEAS etc

Please keep in mind that Scott has a day job, family commitments, a major ear-infection which has since spread to his sinuses, and needs to occasionally sleep. ;)

Humour aside, please accept my apologies, I simply haven't had chance or felt up to much design work recently outside of work. I'll get onto it tonight though, it'll distract me from the pumpkin currently residing where my head should be. :p

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Decidedly not great (by spec) up top. I strongly suspect phase plugs and a little whizzer tweaking could help with that issue at least a bit — same one that fits the FA22 should work. Looks like real worls sensitivity is about 85dB.

attachment.php

Looks like 25 litre for an optimum miniOnken, could go as low as 13-15 litres, sealed would be about 13 litres. F10 in the low 30s vented, low 50s sealed.

attachment.php

1 sim 25 litre, tuned for high ratio resistive vents, one with plumbing pipe, 1 15 litre, tuned for high ratio resistive vents, and sealed butterworth.

dave

Attachments

• SEAS-FEA18-factory-response.png
    SEAS-FEA18-factory-response.png
    17 KB · Views: 1,772
  • SEAS-FEA18-sims.png
    SEAS-FEA18-sims.png
    22.1 KB · Views: 1,782
The 19 litre vented to 47Hz in the application note is OK if you want a smallish box. Bit acoustically under-sized so the usual slight rise a touch under octave above Fb as they mention, but overall well-damped LF alignment below that.

Here's a floorstanding alternative, FWIW. Add a low-pass shelving filter (or anything else) as desired.

Attachments

• Reindeer MLQW Seas FA18RCZ.PNG
    Reindeer MLQW Seas FA18RCZ.PNG
    61.3 KB · Views: 426
Thanks so much guys! I appreciate the pros adding there thoughts! I was leaning towards a smaller size BR cabinet but could go up from 19litres for sure.. Also they mention a inductor and a resistor in series with the driver to attenuate the HF of the driver... What do you think about that?

Ive tried most of the top end Mark Audio drivers and they have not disappointed. I wanted to try something different for a change and I really like the vintage look of the Seas drivers! I also have the Jordan Eikonas as my main system and do slightly prefer them over the Mark Audio drivers. (Not the price though) I tend to enjoy a more relaxed, laid back sound...

Ive tried most of the top end Mark Audio drivers and they have not disappointed. I wanted to try something different for a change and I really like the vintage look of the Seas drivers! I also have the Jordan Eikonas as my main system and do slightly prefer them over the Mark Audio drivers. (Not the price though) I tend to enjoy a more relaxed, laid back sound...

Well, linear distortion (i.e. deviations in frequency response) tell you much (not all, but much) of what you need to know on that front. If you want a laid back sound, a rising axial response, especially if combined with peaks in the sibilance band are unlikely to suit. The former ideally needs to be assessed in combination with off-axis out to about 45 degrees, but you can make some reasonable inferences based on cone geometry; what you want is consistency in response shape, notwithstanding the expected HF droop with increasing frequency as you move off-axis. The FA22 looks from the published data to have a slightly superior cone design than its smaller stablemate, and I thought it a reasonable unit of the type when I heard it; whether it will entirely suit your requirements though I wouldn't like to say, and as Dave notes, it does need larger enclosures for optimum results.

Hi Scott!

Recently found a pair of the SEAS FA22RCZ's on sale and bought them, now planning on building the ml-voigts for them you posted on page 1. Just two questions about them before I really start: will a rectangular mouth like on the graphic you posted be good for mass-loading it or would a vent of some sort be better? Also, since I cant find any strictly acoustic felt, would just a heavy 1cm (2/5") thick felt do the job well enough?

Cheers