Mini-Synergy Horn Experiment

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Noise is probably Windows nonsense, as their priority isn't dynamic range or accuracy, it is avoiding support questions from grandmas who can't get their skype microphones to work.

Try this: (assuming you're using Windows)
- Go to the control button from the start button or however
- Select "Sound"
- Select "Recording" in the Sound form that pops up
- Click on the microphone's icon (probaby identified as a generic USB mic)
- Click the "Properties" button at the bottom of the form
- Click on the "Advanced" tab
- Under "Default Format", select one of the 48000Hz (DVD quality) formats... 2 channel with OmniMic since it uses that for some dynamic range saving tricks, I don't know which for other USB mics
- Might be a good idea to go to the Levels tab, too, and set it for 100 (but your measurement app might set it itself). You don't want Windows to throw away dynamic range
- Click OK on the buttons to close the little forms.

- ALSO CHECK: if you're in Windows 8 (or maybe in Windows 10?), set your measurement app to run in "WindowsXP SP3 Emulation Mode"... because Windows8, for no known good reason, tosses out 4 bits of resolution for USB microphones otherwise which reduces dynamic range by 24dB (!! -- yes, really!). To fix that:
--- Close your measurement app if it is running, then RIGHT-click on the icon you use to start up your measurement app.
--- Click "Properties" on the form that pops up
--- Click the "Compatibilities" tab, then click to put a checkmark in the box under "Compatibility mode"
--- In the dropdown control just below that box, select "Windows XP (Service Pack 3)
--- Click OK to close the form.

Then retry the measurement. Odds are strong the noise will now be lower.

I am not out to prove superiority of a cone on a horn - just starting to see potential for applications where high SPL (below 110dB) is not needed and EQ can be used to bring the falling response of the cone driver up flat - would the overall performance be of higher quality than a compression driver ? I know you can't beat a compression driver for sensitivity at HF's but there is something about how they sound - just not as good as a cone or dome or AMT, that's my opinion but I know several others that share that view. Given a choice between a compression driver and a dome tweeter, I would prefer the dome if the SPL is sufficient.

Fair enough! From what I've seen compression drivers have a much more usable response at 5khz+. It will be interesting to see how your phase plug idea works out. I have a couple FR88EX drivers on hand....maybe I'll give it a shot.

I will say that I have never resolved in my own mind what compression ratio is ideal. I could accept that 1:1 was optimum just as easily as I can accept that 10:1 or 5:1 is optimal. Its just too complex to sort out all the inter-related issues. There is no reason why a 1:1 ratio could not also be constant directivity, but I think that it is clear that efficiency tends to favor higher ratios. But the waveguide systems that I build have headroom to spare so I could easily live with lower efficiency. There just isn't any choice of ratios in the marketplace.

I do think that my research into the audibility of NLD favors higher compression ratios.

The only high eff speaker guy I can think of that says he could live with lower efficiency :D. WRT the discussion on flat diaphragm tweeters what are your thoughts on ring radiators? IF I was to build a wg for a direct radiating tweeter I think that's where I'd start as there really aren't any flat diaphragm tweeters available that will work down low. There are several that look like they'd be good to 1khz but the lower eff puts me off.

Which really means you have little choice, I know I would not be able to leave this alone. The industry is going here.

Yes but the Synergy IS patented, and the powers that be at DSL don't seem to want to get into the home market yet.

- ALSO CHECK: if you're in Windows 8 (or maybe in Windows 10?), set your measurement app to run in "WindowsXP SP3 Emulation Mode"... because Windows8, for no known good reason, tosses out 4 bits of resolution for USB microphones otherwise which reduces dynamic range by 24dB (!! -- yes, really!).

I didn't know that........would that apply to usb mic preamps as well?

Even odder, they don't seem to want to even license someone else to go there (I tried!). Which I guess means they plan to someday, but not now? (Or maybe they're afraid I'd screw it up and hurt their reputation :) )

I was hired to review these patents and it could well be that they simply do not want to raise the issue since I don't think that they could stand up to serious prior art consideration. And if they let out one license then they have to license everyone. If they license one and then don't give another license to anyone who asks then the patent basically becomes public domain.

Fair enough! From what I've seen compression drivers have a much more usable response at 5khz+. It will be interesting to see how your phase plug idea works out. I have a couple FR88EX drivers on hand....maybe I'll give it a shot.
Nate,

Yesterday I did an A/B listening test between a 3.5" Tymphony TC9FD-18-08 "full range" driver (about $12) and the (relatively) new Eminence N314T-8 (3" diaphragm 1.4" exit), both on my Maltese 13 x 13 degree conical horns. Although the N314T-8 had less HF distortion than any of the HF drivers I have tested (BMS 4550, 4552, B&C DE82, EVDH1A, JBL 2445, JBL 2425) the TC9FD was cleaner sounding. The TC9FD has far more clean output capability in the 500 Hz range than any HF driver I've tested, though my listening test was using a steep crossover at

The TC9FD required more power than the compression driver, but I was amazed at the clarity at the high SPL levels I worked up to. I'm fairly used to the distortion level in speakers telling when to back off, but the TC9FD gave almost no indication of distress until the voice coil melted the glue off the former and it "gaacked" out over about a 1 second period.

Prior to the TC9FD letting out the magic smoke, it had survived several songs averaging 120 dBA slow at one meter, with peaks of up to 126 dB. The driver is only rated for 30 watts (IEC 2685, whatever that is) so considering the SPL, amazing that it lasted as long as it did, peak power was in the 200 watt range.

The results were impressive enough that I will be doing further experiments with wider dispersion horns with dual TC9FD and throat vanes to determine if uniform dispersion can be achieved.

The chart below shows the response of the TC9FD in a sealed (approximately) one liter chamber and on the Maltese horn with the same chamber. My measurements confirm the specified 1w1m sensitivity rating of 83.5 is correct, the horn raises sensitivity around 96.5 dB midband.

Art

Attachments

• Tymphany TC9FD-18 Maltese & Front load.png
    Tymphany TC9FD-18 Maltese & Front load.png
    142.8 KB · Views: 413
WRT the discussion on flat diaphragm tweeters what are your thoughts on ring radiators?

There is no ideal waveguide shape for this type of radiator. How much problems one will have with a "fudge" I don't know.

A flat disk is the perfect source for an OS waveguide. There are flat disk drivers out there. I know, I was recently asked if one from Parts Express would work in a waveguide. It was a flat disk diaphragm with Balanced Mode Radiator (BMR) drive (which just means that the voice coil drives it at its first nodal ring.)

I was hired to review these patents and it could well be that they simply do not want to raise the issue since I don't think that they could stand up to serious prior art consideration. And if they let out one license then they have to license everyone. If they license one and then don't give another license to anyone who asks then the patent basically becomes public domain.
Earl,

Yorkville is already licensed by Danley to produce horns using offset drivers, their "Unity" series. The U15 HF section also uses three mid drivers like Nate did. Their VTC division also uses DSL's Paraline and tapped horn concepts.

That said, making offset horns with central HF driver(s) is used by so many companies that it really can't be considered "new" from what I can see.

Art

Attachments

• Yorkville U15.png
    Yorkville U15.png
    194.4 KB · Views: 415
Last edited:
I don't know for sure, but I suspect so, if they're using the built-in Microsoft USB mic driver. Probably not if they are using their own driver or ASIO

Yeah I was thinking about that after I posted and I'm pretty sure it uses it's own driver.

Would you mind if I picked your brain at some point about the CoSyne passive xo? I'd like to do a passive xo for the mini Synergy - at least for the mid/hf cross to simplify and eliminate an amp channel. Most of the response shaping could still be done in DSP. Probably biting off more than I can chew seeing how I've never done a passive xo but it should be a good learning experience. I'll be getting the necessary measurements for XSim one of these days.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.