Mini Karlsonator (0.53X) with Dual TC9FDs

FaitalPRO 4FE35 4" 8 ohm Question

Hello,

I'd like to use two FaitalPRO 4FE35 4" 8 ohm in series instead of two FaitalPRO 3FE35 3" 8 ohm in my build.

Will the 4" FaitalPros work in the same cabinet as the 3" FaitalPROs or will I need to scale the cabinet up a little in order to use the 4" drivers?

Has anyone used the 4" FaitalPROs? Could you please tell me which build plans you used?

I've been doing a lot of reading in this thread today. I'm not familiar with the FaitalPRO drivers. A lot of people seem to like them!

Are there any other drivers that people like more or sound better than the FaitalPROs?

Thanks for all your help and suggestions.
Bruce

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Back in this post:
https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/ful...onator-0-53x-dual-tc9fds-307.html#post5595490

I think I did a sim of the 4FE35-16 and it did not work well. It is better as dual 4FE35-8 (so you are in luck as that is what you wanted), and that in parallel will give you 16ohms nominal. So in series there is no sensitivity gain so it would be about 91dB at 2.83v and 16ohms.

The scaling is different though and I don't think exact plans exist (yet). You could certaiunly take the full scale plans and scale it yourself. It doesn't have to be exact. +/-5mm here and there is no big deal. You need to scale it 0.60x in height and depth and 0.47x in width for dual 4FE35-8's in series.

I guess this impedance is perfect for your tube amp. Give it a go and let us know how it works out. Make it out of foam core first as a pathfinder and then commit to wood if that works out.

Last edited:
Thanks X,

I can scale the drawing. Is the full scale drawing on Post #1?

Also I misspoke, as I mentioned before I'd like to run these with a 300b SET amp. So instead of running the FaitalPRO 4" 8 ohm drivers in series, I'd want to connect them in parallel at 4 ohms and increased sensitivity. Will this change the cabinet scale from the 0.60 and 0.47 percentages you gave me in your last message?

Thank you again for all your help and suggestions.

Best wishes,
Bruce

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
It works in parallel with same dimensions. You will get increased sensitivity that’s all.

My original link is broken. Use this one for the 1.0x full scale plans.
Karlsonator.png

Last edited:
At last, I have time to have a go at this.
Respect and thank you to everyone who has worked this all out.
I really appreciate it.
It means a complete noob like me can have a go.

A whole bunch of firsts for me.
First DIY Audio project.
So obviously my first speakers.
First time I have used foam board.
First time I have used a glue gun.

I have gone with the a .4X with Faital Pro 3fe25-8.
As I got some used on the bay.

Obviously a long way from perfect, but good fun.

Can I ask how important the material is for stuffing?
I see a fair few different suggestions.
This is what I have, I was thinking the egg box stuff might be ideal on the back wall?

Or should I be looking to buy some real stuff?

Also, I don't think I have any felt. Will different sort of fabric give a similar effect?

I have been following this:
https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/ful...onator-0-53x-dual-tc9fds-137.html#post4309613

Also, how do you measure it?
Do you need a decent bit of equipment?

I am keen to redo or adjust if it doesn't come in similar.
It is all a learning process isn't it?

Where should they sit re walls etc to test?

Edit:
I forgot to add the decent foam I have.
It is fairly dense 3mm closed cell foam.

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
The eggcrate foam is good. Also the best stuff are the Mr Clean white melamine scrubber pad sponges. You can get them at the grocery store although expensive that way. Same can be ordered from China $7 a bag of 100. The melamine foam was used as acoustic sound absorber under name Basotect by BASF. After patent expired everyone sells it for cleaning stuff. Fiberglass insulation or pillow stuffing is good for the closed end stuffing. Microfiber cloths are good too. You want. Open cell foam not closed cell. That eggcrate is open cell.

Good luck!

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Any thoughts on building these entirely out of acrylic/perspex?

I like the idea of drawing up the cut sheets from my desk and picking up something ready to glue together in under an hour :rolleyes:
too resonant?

It would require lining with melamine foam in rear chamber and front like pointed out for plywood builds. The clear plexiglas would show all of this. If you don’t use the foam damping it will sound boxy and have an echo like effect.

Back loaded horns that don’t have parallel surfaces lend themselves to clear materials better.

Thanks X. Excited to get this going.
It turns out I have access to some free MDF laser cutting, so I'm going to try and get a cut sheet going from jhofland's sketchup file for 1/2" stock and then do the miters with a track saw.

Something else I'm curious about – what do these things sound like when placed on their side? Anybody try this?

It would require lining with melamine foam in rear chamber and front like pointed out for plywood builds.

Joined 2008
Paid Member
Something else I'm curious about – what do these things sound like when placed on their side? Anybody try this?

Not on their side, but I have a pair upside down sitting on top of my kitchen cabinets so the drivers are angled down into the room. That works well for me. Mini Karlsonator (0.53X) with Dual TC9FDs

I imagine the listening area might get narrow horizontally if they’re on their side.

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I have recently done that myself - placing the Karlsonators upside down up high above the kitchen cabinets to free up room from the counter tops. Still sounds pretty good.

attachment.php

I have used them in the side before and did not like the dispersion pattern as much. The K aperture needs to be vertical.

Attachments

• 69788729-3B14-48B9-95D3-8D60078936CC.jpeg
    69788729-3B14-48B9-95D3-8D60078936CC.jpeg
    317.4 KB · Views: 450
Nice work Grarea, you are close to first sound. I’m sure you will be pleased with the sound.

:D
Well, I certainly learnt some stuff.
Next time will be a lot easier.
For one, I found that super quick setting hot glue has its pros and cons :)

Another question.
How does one measure a speaker and put the graph on here?
Does it need some expensive equipment?

I know for sure I made a couple of mistakes that I need to sort.
I would like to see where they are at and compare to what people are saying.

I only have mine linked to a pi zero and a justboom amp hat currently.

Two Karlsonators powered by a decent amp (class A) with proper channel separation is so much better than a soundbar.

Think: A soundstage with decent imaging. For the past three years I've had the pleasure of listening to exactly that when I watch TV movies or series. The realism of that kind of sound beats any soundbar... by far! Add a sub for added effect.