Mini Karlsonator (0.53X) with Dual TC9FDs

So, I want to thank all of you guys for your guidance and support, and especially xrk971 for taking the time to rum the sims.:worship:

I managed to get most of the pieces cut for the K8 this weekend.

I hope to have a bit of time next weekend for tackling the "wings".

I also found some 6mm felt and I already have a few pounds of 'Acuosti-stuff' left over from an old build that I will use for the inner fold.

All I need now is some binding posts and the patience for glueing and clamping:D

Yeah, 6mm felt and acoustastuff is perfect. You certainly will not need a "few pounds" though, a few ounces per side should be sufficient. :)

For the FE203En-S, I'd suggest trying some felt behind the wings in front of the driver. This really helped clean up the sound in my mini-karlsonators.

My plan was to start with felt on the inside of the wings attached with Blu-tak so as to be removable...

A bit of listening and then perhaps felt on the sides of the front chamber as well depending on the high frequency content.

Just a bit of Acousti-stuff in the inner fold, and perhaps felt on the floor of the back chamber as well.

That's the beauty of DIY; we are the judge of what sounds better or not and the limit is only the amount of effort and time we are willing to contribute.

In the end I find it a beautiful irony; all of this planning, effort, design, and hard work all to be able to sit back with our favourite drink, turn off the brain and tap our toes!

Great isn't it?:cool:

New Values for Speaker

X,

Well even before I finish my first Karlsonator, I'm planning my second.
I found these drivers with the following specs:

QTS .381
QES .396
QMS 9.99
FS 61.2 HZ
VAS .592
SPL 92 db
LE .787
RE 3.911
MMS 46 grams

When you get the chance can you tell me what the dimentions would
be when optimized?

HOpefully finished by the weekend.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
X,

Well even before I finish my first Karlsonator, I'm planning my second.
I found these drivers with the following specs:

QTS .381
QES .396
QMS 9.99
FS 61.2 HZ
VAS .592
SPL 92 db
LE .787
RE 3.911
MMS 46 grams

When you get the chance can you tell me what the dimentions would
be when optimized?

HOpefully finished by the weekend.

No problem - need Sd.

had a hunch from parameters, my old stamped frame Super10 would play in my new Karlsonator12 - it sounds fabulous on bass viola - Gary Karr, well recorded slapped upright bass (I don't really like electric bass stor12 is a success judged just on that driver and better than Super10 was in K15, Throw away those sorry blh and reflex - lol - -there's good height to the soundfield too. If one likes to muck with FR then this is a great way to go.

Hi X,

Got the Sd = 54.2 in-squared.
They are a 10.5 (say ten) inch driver.

Another bass mid. A bit more heavy too
at 20 lbs. Thinking this kind of elimates using
the white board. Might have to find a good table
saw.

I'll have to ask the oracle of sync and see what she says.

Ya never know what the oracle will say.

Faital Mini

Hi Guys
I am thinking of making single driver minis with the Faital out of 6mm BB. I live in the UK where prices for the 4fe32 are similar to the Vifa so I thought the higher sensitivity might be useful.
A few question first though. Will the ply cause more reflexions and need more damping than foam core? and also would the Faital produce smooth HF performance? I am quite sensitive to peaky speakers.
Thanks in advance Simon
Ps while I am a fan of Xrk's work I picked my username a while ago:spin:

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
had a hunch from parameters, my old stamped frame Super10 would play in my new Karlsonator12 - it sounds fabulous on bass viola - Gary Karr, well recorded slapped upright bass (I don't really like electric bass stor12 is a success judged just on that driver and better than Super10 was in K15, Throw away those sorry blh and reflex - lol - -there's good height to the soundfield too. If one likes to muck with FR then this is a great way to go.

Freddi,
So you got the Karlsonator 12 from TheJessman? And they sound good with AN's?

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hi Guys
I am thinking of making single driver minis with the Faital out of 6mm BB. I live in the UK where prices for the 4fe32 are similar to the Vifa so I thought the higher sensitivity might be useful.
A few question first though. Will the ply cause more reflexions and need more damping than foam core? and also would the Faital produce smooth HF performance? I am quite sensitive to peaky speakers.
Thanks in advance Simon
Ps while I am a fan of Xrk's work I picked my username a while ago:spin:

The 4FE35 sounds and measures very well according to Buildmesomething - almost as good a much more expensive driver it was compared against. The 4FE32 is in the same family but with Nd magnet so I would imagine it is the same smoothness. With ply, use felt or open cell acoustic foam to line the surfaces behind the driver to prevent back reflections. Should work well - are you building the 0.4x scale?

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hi X,

Got the Sd = 54.2 in-squared.
They are a 10.5 (say ten) inch driver.

Another bass mid. A bit more heavy too
at 20 lbs. Thinking this kind of elimates using
the white board. Might have to find a good table
saw.

I'll have to ask the oracle of sync and see what she says.

Ya never know what the oracle will say.

It looks like it can work in a Karlosnator scaled 0.75x in length and depth and 0.67x in width.

Here is SPL vs Freq:

Attachments

• KTL7A-SyncTron-10-Freq-1m.png
    KTL7A-SyncTron-10-Freq-1m.png
    24.5 KB · Views: 632
yeah - got the Karlsonator 12s a couple of days ago - only loaded one cabinet - first it ran an old stamped frame Nirvana Super10 - then I fed it a fresh Beta12LTA where its helped by a Goldwood 1005 knockoff. The Karsonator12 is real good with either speaker - AN10 has a couple of ragged areas as a direct radiator which persist in the Karlsonator12 so maybe a bit of felt on the wings in the driver region might help. 12lta has very little HF energy so sounds quite smooth when the piezo sitting on top is added as a helper. This is probably the best overall performance I've heard milked from a 12lta.

here's kinda what AN10 looked like on axis in a reflex indoors - there's enough energy on axis to sound fast and trebly in the Karlsonator
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

if I can a find the right value inductor in my mess, then I'll try a trap like below but with 10 ohm resistor - felt might
be a better solution

effect of 0.39mH/6.8uF/8R on AN10 in reflex
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

maybe there's a reason why Johnny Cash sounds so good on Ks

Last edited:
here's the input impedance of the Karlsonator 12 with a fresh Beta12lta. I had to run WT3 from another room so 50ft of10ga zipcord was used to reach. Good enough to show tuning and may emulate some tube amps.

Karlsonator 12 input z full height aperture
pyPVpGu.gif

Input z with upper 7" or so of narrow slot area blocked vs full aperture
Bs98N5b.gif

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Freddi,
Taping the top 7 inches pulls the tuning lower as expected. What surprised me was that quite a bit of bass extension could be obtained by making the slot come to a closed slit with a cusp. If you make measurements you will see that the cusp slot smooths peaks and dips in the response and provides a more gently tail on the bass falloff.

Freddi,
Your sketch looks about right burns would only do that if you want to smooth out any midrange peaks and extend the bass roll off tail at expense of bass amplitude.

Sounds about right for the lower bass part, I couldn't really say for the midrange. It may also slightly raise the front chamber Q-factor and create a bit more of a hump in the mid-100Hz range, but enough to matter ???