Mini Karlsonator (0.53X) with Dual TC9FDs

Go for it. Nothing to lose when you try with $24 of drivers and $4 of FC and glue. This speaker is one of the best bang for the buck in sound and unique looks. It is also one of the most portable speakers being very compact and lightweight.
:)

This is bad, I'm looking at this thread thinking I should try building a pair of these and I've not even built the Cornu's yet :D

For future reference, am I right in thinking that to get the 0.4x dimensions I need to take the original Karlsonator plans and scale the dimensions by 0.4?

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Foam wrapped in wood

Hi - Have been following this thread with keen interest, and have seen and heard some great results.
My question is, could one wrap the outer foam panels and the wing section in say 1/4" - 1/2" wood. My line of thinking is about less sound energy lost through the foam, and the foam and other insulation added acting as an absorbent also. Feasible or out to lunch????

Myles

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Yes, you can certainly use a hybrid construction method with foam and wood. Some folks have put a thin layer of plywood on the foam core with great results, or just used a wood panel for the baffle portion where the driver mounts. The Karlson aperture or "wing" is an area that can use more stiffness as there is a lot of sound pressure/energy there. One thing I have not seen anyone try is applying hard wood veneer. I have heard that painting the foam with shellac can increase its stiffness, as well as applying shellac and then on top of that, a thin layer of aluminum foil.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Thanks for the reply. I realised when you replied that my original question wasn't phrased quite right :eek:. What I had meant was it was the original Karlsonator plans rather than the other posted plans that were to be scaled.

0.4x scaling on the original Karlsonator plans. Otherwise you wold end up with a 0.53x0.40=0.21x - a very small speaker! :)

Yes, you can certainly use a hybrid construction method with foam and wood. Some folks have put a thin layer of plywood on the foam core with great results, or just used a wood panel for the baffle portion where the driver mounts.

You could always, heaven forbid, make them from plywood. ;)

FWIW, I am going to try the scaled Karlsonator for CHR70, thanks to your sim a couple weeks back. Got myself a couple 10mm BB panels. :D I'm going to try to get to it this weekend.

Hi!!
As xkr971 suggested in another thread, I'm going to try the 0.53x Karlsonators out of 3/8'' plywood. There's a lot of great info inside this thread which is helping me a lot. Thank you!!!!

I'd like to share my build progress here. Hope you like it!!!
I already cut all plywood pieces and will start glueing them together tomorrow.
I'll be using a tpa3110 amp with these speakers and thought it'd be great to integrate the amp inside one of the speakers, so I drilled a coupe of holes through one of the back plates and wired the amp in place.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Ok, so If I use this plan below:

Would I scale it to .5 using this little 4-1/2 speaker.
QTS .44
fs 57
Qms3.13
Qes .51
? .44
SD 91 CM
VAS 8.8L
BL 4.9
RE 3.4L
.7 mh
90db

I have some old pearless 4.5 drivers/mids
and I have some old Focal 46 tweeters.
I'll just wire them an inch or two up from the end of the mid driver.

I don't have a full range speaker and they sold all the cheap Oh.
I guess ya'll bought them up?

I just need the panels and I'm headed out now to get them.
Im not sure if I have the parts for the x over. I can mix and
match caps to get the right value.

I need to cross over at 4kH for the tweeters at 12db
and let the peerless run free to 5k (where it slopes off).

That ends up being a 3.9 uf cap and .41 mh inductor
for each speaker.

Then I have to get one of those cheap amps y'all are using.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
SynctronX Karlsonator

Here is an optimized design for your driver:
Scale the height and depth by 0.6x and the width by 0.4x.

It is kind of a narrow tall design 18 in tall by 6 in wide x 9 in deep. Should sound good and get about 55 to 60 Hz bass extension.

Good luck!

Attachments

• Karlsonator-Synctronx-Freq-1m.png
    Karlsonator-Synctronx-Freq-1m.png
    30.6 KB · Views: 357
  • Karlsonator-Synctronx-Impedance.png
    Karlsonator-Synctronx-Impedance.png
    20.4 KB · Views: 354
  • Karlsonator-Synctronx-Displ.png
    Karlsonator-Synctronx-Displ.png
    21.2 KB · Views: 333
Last edited:
Here is an optimized design for your driver:
Scale the height and depth by 0.6x and the width by 0.4x.

It is kind of a narrow tall design 18 in tall by 6 in wide x 9 in deep. Should sound good and get about 55 to 60 Hz bass extension.

Good luck!

xrk, wow that is great work.

Nuts, I was hoping for something about 1/2 that hight.
Is there any way to check shorter and squatier maybe wider?

I'm intrugued, but somthing that tall will really P***-off the wife
I've got way too much stuff.

Anyway moving right along is there a way to find out how
far the tweeter should be from the bass/mid driver?

I've got another pair of bass/mid drivers that are just a tad bit larger
than the peerless.

It is unknown, looks similar from the front. It is also 5 1/2 inch
across the speaker and 4 inch from mount to mount.
its Qts : .54
VAS 9.43
Spl 85 db
sd 93.0
it looks to be a 100HS - 5 Khz, 10 oz magnet job
so I guess with one will still requre the tweeter.

If you don't mind crunching some more numbers?

I'll post pics of what I have...

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
0.5x Scale SynctronX Karlsonator

It can work at 0.5x scale (all around) - you won't get as much bass extension but the efficiency is very high and there is a bass peak at 85 Hz. Some people don't mind this. You will still get bass down to 60 to 65 Hz.

I will need full T/S params if you want me to run a sim: Qms, Qes, fs, Re, Le, Vas or Bl, Sd

Or get me the model number or link to specs. If you don't want to draw attention, get the Vifa TC9FD and make the 0.4x. A pretty innocuous looking thing. :)

Attachments

• Karlsonator-Synctronx-0.5x-Freq-1m.png
    Karlsonator-Synctronx-0.5x-Freq-1m.png
    28.8 KB · Views: 343
that's very strong looking -- thanks.

What kind of Karlson or Karsonator if any would you recommend for a B&C 10FW64? - (don't own one but it looks intriguing)

Resonant Frequency (Fs)63 Hz
DC Resistance (Re)5 ohms
Voice Coil Inductance (Le)0.9 mH
Mechanical Q (Qms)3.4
Electromagnetic Q (Qes)0.25
Total Q (Qts)0.23
Compliance Equivalent Volume (Vas)0.95 ft.³
BL Product (BL)16.4 Tm
Diaphragm Mass Inc. Airload (Mms)34g
Maximum Linear Excursion (Xmax)5 mm
Surface Area of Cone (Sd)320 cm²

It can work at 0.5x scale (all around) - you won't get as much bass extension but the efficiency is very high and there is a bass peak at 85 Hz. Some people don't mind this. You will still get bass down to 60 to 65 Hz.

I will need full T/S params if you want me to run a sim: Qms, Qes, fs, Re, Le, Vas or Bl, Sd

Or get me the model number or link to specs. If you don't want to draw attention, get the Vifa TC9FD and make the 0.4x. A pretty innocuous looking thing. :)

X, your great. Thanks for you efforts and I appreciate it.
The other speaker, I don't have any other number other than
what I've posted. I've had them for a long time also.

Started to crunh the measurements I guess the difference
between the optimized at 18" tall v the .5 all around is 15.5"
tall. 2.5 inches.

I"ll link to a page when I get them up.

Where did Karlson put the original tweeter?

Last edited: