Mini Karlsonator (0.53X) with Dual TC9FDs

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I think the miniK sound much louder and fuller as the efficiency is 91dB at 2.83v and there is much more mid bass punch. Overall I like the miniK better as it works for all sorts of music and can fill a moderate sized room with good sound. The Tabaq is really smaller as it only has 2 drivers.

You will like it - it is one of my favorite full range speakers.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Mini Karlsonator with Dual HiVi B3N's

This design is for Grandcalmar who was looking for a way to make his qnty 4 HiVi B3N's not sound so underwhelming.

Scale the Karlsonator plans by 0.67x in the length and depth, and by 0.4x in width. This will be a box that is about 20 in tall x 6 in wide x ~10 in deep. Mount the two drivers in parallel for a 4 ohm load. It should make a pretty nice 87 dB efficient speaker (2.83v at 1 meter) with built in BSC (bass is 93 dB+).

Plots: SPL vs Freq, Cone Excursion, Impedance.

Be careful with playing music with too much low freq content at loud volumes - the xmax will come up quickly below 55 Hz.

Attachments

• Karlsonator-9o15-6o15w-Freq-1m.png
    Karlsonator-9o15-6o15w-Freq-1m.png
    22.1 KB · Views: 711
  • Karlsonator-9o15-6o15w-Displ.png
    Karlsonator-9o15-6o15w-Displ.png
    19.9 KB · Views: 700
  • Karlsonator-9o15-6o15w-Impedance.png
    Karlsonator-9o15-6o15w-Impedance.png
    18.8 KB · Views: 686
This design is for Grandcalmar who was looking for a way to make his qnty 4 HiVi B3N's not sound so underwhelming.

Scale the Karlsonator plans by 0.67x in the length and depth, and by 0.4x in width. This will be a box that is about 20 in tall x 6 in wide x ~10 in deep. Mount the two drivers in parallel for a 4 ohm load. It should make a pretty nice 87 dB efficient speaker (2.83v at 1 meter) with built in BSC (bass is 93 dB+).

Be careful with playing music with too much low freq content at loud volumes - the xmax will come up quickly below 55 Hz.

Cheers X - much appreciated. I'll give it a go and will report back - should have time over the weekend.

Clarification question: for the width, I'm assuming the scaling does not apply to the resonator initial gap i.e. it remains at 1/4 inch. Please confirm.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
0.4x Scale Karlsonator with 6.5 in wide cabinet

If you make the cabinet of the 0.4x scale Karlsonator 6.5 in wide instead of 6.0 in wide, it will work even better with more bass gain.

Here is 6 in wide:

398608d1391841190-mini-karlsonator-0-53x-dual-tc9fds-karlsonator-0.4x-tc9fd-6in-wide.png

Here is 6.5 in wide:

398609d1391841190-mini-karlsonator-0-53x-dual-tc9fds-karlsonator-0.4x-tc9fd-6.5in-wide.png

So if you accidentally made it wider, no problem... :)

Attachments

• Karlsonator-0.4x-TC9FD-6in-wide.png
    Karlsonator-0.4x-TC9FD-6in-wide.png
    10.6 KB · Views: 1,037
  • Karlsonator-0.4x-TC9FD-6.5in-wide.png
    Karlsonator-0.4x-TC9FD-6.5in-wide.png
    19.8 KB · Views: 1,034
Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Karlsonator with Alpair 7.3

I received a request to see how an A7.3 will work in a Karlsonator. I arrived at 0.6x scale for height and depth and 0.4x for the width with a single A7.3.
Seems like it can work well with good bass gain in the 90dB range down to 55 Hz or so.

Plots: SPL vs Freq, Impedance, Cone Displacement, Impulse Response

Attachments

• Karlsonator-A7p3-Impulse.png
    Karlsonator-A7p3-Impulse.png
    10.6 KB · Views: 111
  • Karlsonator-A7p3-Displ.png
    Karlsonator-A7p3-Displ.png
    20.9 KB · Views: 111
  • Karlsonator-A7p3-Impedance.png
    Karlsonator-A7p3-Impedance.png
    19.9 KB · Views: 159
  • Karlsonator-A7p3-Freq-1m.png
    Karlsonator-A7p3-Freq-1m.png
    20.2 KB · Views: 797
Mini Karlsonator with dual B3N's

X,

I finished the dual B3N mini-Karlsonator as per your recommendation of 0.67X length and depth and 0.4X width. A fun build and made fairly straight-forward by your excellent instructions and build photos - thanks!

I'm very very happy with the sound. Doubling up the drivers really helped with the sound level. I'm still playing around with speaker location, but my first impression is that there is going to be more than adequate bass - so no need for a sub for the type of listening I do. The only down-side is that they show up my input source - time to put the phone aside and drag out the CD player!

I liked them so much, I decided to build the 0.4X single TC9FDs as well. Ran out of foam:mad: so haven't put on the front yet.

Definitely a winner - the wife has asked my repeatedly to make her a set for her office.

Cheers!

Attachments

• IMG_20140210_133036.jpg
    IMG_20140210_133036.jpg
    368.7 KB · Views: 918
  • IMG_20140210_133051.jpg
    IMG_20140210_133051.jpg
    809.2 KB · Views: 932
I semi-finished my 0.4x Vifa Karlsonator this weekend and I have to say for $30 in materials, these are pretty amazing things. I'm still fiddling with the front aperture and its effect on the bass and tightness but for the most part I'm really happy with the build.

Just a note for future builders - I used the black-papered foamboard I found at Dollar Tree and Dollar General and I would definitely reccomend against it for first-time foamboard users, it shows flaws really easily and doesn't cut as neatly as the white foamboard I used as a replacement panel. Also instead of PVA glue (I used Elmers, which was kind of watery and didn't fill very well) I would use the blueish gel school glue for the large panels (side, back, front), which was a good medium between hot glue and Elmers, since it sealed well but didn't dry so quickly. Pictures forthcoming :)

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Ika,
Great! Another happy builder. :)
I never tried the bluish school glue gel before. The black faced board does show flaws easily but done right makes a stunning looking speaker compared to all white. I found that it cut just as well as the white and did not have the wavy rippled surface that the white boards sometimes have. Glad you like how they sound.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
You guys are bad!

I've burned though this thread and want to make me some
little .4-Ks. I think it is even in my budget too.

:)

Go for it. Nothing to lose when you try with $24 of drivers and $4 of FC and glue. This speaker is one of the best bang for the buck in sound and unique looks. It is also one of the most portable speakers being very compact and lightweight.
:)