Mini Karlsonator (0.53X) with Dual TC9FDs

I have recently been drawn to the Karlsonator Design through a inquiry for a Speaker Design for a friend.

I have got a wish to build a OB and have some drivers already acquired to be used.

The Karlsonator is a speaker I would like to try and I can see it being a very enjoyable project.

I now see a driver I have being proposed for a Karlsonator Build.

I have to ask a question about the Karlsonator in relation to how the design might work with the available drivers I have.

Beyma CF 21, Beyma TPL 150, Beyma 12P80ND, Eminence Beta 15.

I have Tools and Board Available for Cabinets so the Xover would be a added cost for the Karlsonator.

I would like to think that some Xover Parts could be used on both Karlsonator and OB

How does my immediate available drivers appear to be able to work with a Karlsonator Design.

One thing worth noting is I am not experienced with electronics or Speaker Design,
my support in these areas is available through friends.
I am quite capable for the construction of the Cabinets.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hey X. If sound quality is the primary goal what driver or drivers would you recommend? To be used with bass cabs.

If you plan on using a subwoofer to assist, the dual 3FE25-16 is very good.

I have not tried it, but sound quality of a 10F/8424 or 10F/8414 is very good in open face type speaker or even horn loaded. It would probably work well in Karlsonator but expensive.

Thank You for your reply.
My OB Personal Ambition Project, it is a 'Itch to Scratch' desired to be undertaken for many years.
I have Drivers, I have Baffle Materials, I have help on offer, so no more excuses to dither.

I am at present looking for a Speaker to take to Public Attended Enthusiast Shows, for the time when Post Covid Normality descends on the Day To Day activities.

The Mini Karlsonator will be the way forward, as I intend on it being used in different rooms within my home, I like the idea of easy transportation.

It will most importantly be a Device used as part of a Set Up to present to the Public a System that most observers could consider as acceptable for use within a Home.

My Personal System has been well received when auditioned, but it is not a
Home Friendly Set Up, and it would worry many who would reject any thought about how to achieve it, but that is a result of 30 Years of System Building to ones preferences, I am desensitised to Aesthetics.

I am looking to treat others as I had been in my early experiences and be encouraging to a New Comer to Separates HiFi System Building,
by showing how good listening experiences can be achieved with careful selection of Devices, within a comprehensible Budget .
The more a System seems achievable the better for bringing New Interest into the Hobby.

This fits perfectly into my Budget and also my interest in using Foam.
The Driver are readily available in the UK.
I will need to learn more about the Foam Core Build requirement.

I have for many years been experimenting and getting good results with various densities of foam materials to produce Sub Plinth Isolation Platforms.
Foam IMV is a material that can attenuate in a way that is perceivable to the ear.

I have a Material referred to as Phonotherm/Puranit.
It is to be used as a OB Baffle
It is a Highly Compressed Foam with mechanical properties.
The Board I have is 30mm (1 1/4" ) Thickness, this would potentially be a first build Karlsonator produced with this material.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
That is quite thick and probably will work well. You need to adapt the design to maintain internal dimensions (within 5mm is fine). Try the paper faced foam core. It’s inexpensive and easy to cut. Available at craft stores. Same stuff architects use to build moldels, also used as backing for posters and photos, and used by model RC airplane builders. Use hot melt glue for instant bonding. Use PVA for slow bonding.

Hey X, for something fun and different, what do you think of a Karlson/Karlsonator type of box for this guitar speaker?

Celestion Eight 15 - 8 inch Loudspeaker - 15W

Very little specs are available, but I'm thinking of a nice Karlson aperture front on an enclosure for musical instrument use. I already have one of these speakers sitting new in the box and have been wanting to use it for guitar and other instrument use. You think a partially open back H-frame with a karlson aperture front would work?

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Yes it would work well. Since it is designed for open back (high QTs) use it as such. Take a look at the KaZBa. Or 1/2 a KaZBa.

Rockin' the KaZba Dipole (K aperture Z-baffle Dipole)

470112d1425731040-rockin-kazba-dipole-k-aperture-z-baffle-dipole-kazba-sketch1.png

When I built my Karlsonators with 2x 3FE25 - I need to admit - I haven't tuned them.

I don't have a proper mic yet, so instead, when I played 20, 40 ...160Hz I realized that there are quite huge differences in loudness.

peaks.png

For example, 50 and 80Hz are at a similar level, but between 60 and 70Hz is louder. After 80Hz it starts rising again and reaches a maximum at 125Hz (pretty loud) and then goes down again. Is it something that you encounter before guys?

Is it caused by not putting enough poly?

Last edited:
unless the graph was done outdoors and away from large objects, it may not reflect what's happening. Its important to have stuffing in the "pointed stub" above the driver - it that's not sufficiently damped, then funky resonances will occur.

Thanks, freddi, but that's not the case.

I'm going to build another pair with 12mm plywood, but this time I'd like to add bracing, not thicker than 8mm I think.

Does anyone have an idea how to properly stiffen the aperture? Also, I'd like to add a 206mm brace between speakers, on the back.

Also the internal brace in the middle

brace.png

and maybe something like that:

aperture.png

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I browsed through almost all 400 pages of this thread and was surprised to see that nobody has tried to mount a super tweeter on the aperture just above the K-slot. Is it just that nobody felt it is needed or does it subtract from what the enclosure is intended to do?

Post 3430 discusses a related speaker. The XKi with K aperture and a super tweeter on the top of the front panel. It looks like a cyclops. I think we called it Xyclops :)

666219d1520180715-mini-karlsonator-0-53x-dual-tc9fds-mk53dual-12-jpg

I have a couple of PA130-8's on route to me. Was planning on building foamcore 0.53x and XKi's to compare then building my favorite in 1/2" plywood.

I came across the Airbourne FR124B8-19F and was wondering how it would work in either of those enclosures. It seems pretty comparable to the PA130-8 on paper but I suspect it has a bit more top end.

http://nedlab.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/Airborne-FR124B8-19F-Fullrange.pdf