Mini Karlsonator (0.53X) with Dual TC9FDs

Dayton Audio PS180-8 6.5" driver?

Has anyone here made a Karlsonator with the Dayton Audio PS180-8 6.5" driver?

Asking for a friend. ;)

I was thinking he could fit them in the fabulous 0.53X enclosure that I have holding single PS95-8 3.5" drivers.

While the price increase from 3.5" to 5" is modest, I was surprised at the steep price increase (300%) when moving from 5" to 6.5".

Kind regards,
Drew

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
It is a mass loaded transmission line alignment with some partial feedback like a tapped horn provided by the Karlson aperture which directs some of the bass across the front of the driver (although not much of a BP6 effect). The tuning of the frequency is dependent on both the box volume and length of the folded TL, and the constriction of the vent.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Has anyone here made a Karlsonator with the Dayton Audio PS180-8 6.5" driver?

Asking for a friend. ;)

I was thinking he could fit them in the fabulous 0.53X enclosure that I have holding single PS95-8 3.5" drivers.

While the price increase from 3.5" to 5" is modest, I was surprised at the steep price increase (300%) when moving from 5" to 6.5".

Kind regards,
Drew

It's not only the size increas but this driver is one of Dayton's "flagship" drivers with all the bells and whistles (phase plug, Nd magnets, cast frame, whizzer cone, inverted half-roll surround, spring clip nickel plated binding posts, copper cap and ring on motor to reduce distortion, kevlar infused paper cone, etc...)

Surprisingly, I have not simulated a Karlsonator for it if I recall. The Qts is a bit low - more suited to an XKi or a BLH, or FLH, or plain open faced reflex. My guess is that it won't simulate well in Karlsonator - Qts is too low and you won't get much bass as Karlsonator likes moderate to highish Qts in order to get the bass to go lower than the Fs.

I personally would go with a Tangband W5-2143, cost less and deeper bass, and smoother midrange and highs. Have you looked at the factory response?

It's kind of a mess above 3kHz.

https://www.parts-express.com/pedoc...Full-Range Neo Driver Specification Sheet.pdf

If you really like 6.5in drivers, go with a Peerless NE180W-8 and add a tweeter above 2khz. That can work in a Karlsonator and use a small press fit ND25FN-4 tweeter press fit into a small cutout on the K-aperture, a la XiClops fame.

Last edited:
Ive had this driver and sold it cos couldn't get the bass response required. It's pretty hot on top too.

If you look on specs a vented box only gets you to 105Hz.

I also would recommend W5-2143 in 0.53 Karlsinator. Great driver, great enclosure, easy to build from 1cm foamcore. I did it so literally anyone can, promise.

I imagine some of the Mark Audio full rangers will do well too. They are really nice drivers as well.

Just follow X's instructions re foamcore builds. Use black if you can, it marks less.

re: Mark Audio - here's GregB's CHR70 Karlsonator plan. He says he'll build 3 more for a 5.1 system

Attachments

• CHR70 Karlsonator Plan.png
    CHR70 Karlsonator Plan.png
    169.6 KB · Views: 277
  • CHR70 KARLSONATOR 1.jpg
    CHR70 KARLSONATOR 1.jpg
    364.9 KB · Views: 268
  • CHR70 KARLSONATOR 2.jpg
    CHR70 KARLSONATOR 2.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 268
Looks very interesting. I have already picked up the SAL 08C08 full range drivers to try in a PAP TRIO like arrangement. BUT as this is all fun experimentation, no harm in trying out other drivers too - the reason I like the PAP format - you can just switch panels out which makes it easy to try different things.

I currently have the MOTH audio Cicada drivers in the panel along with a horn loaded tweeter

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
The air leaks can be fixed by using your finger to smooth the soft hot melt glue into a fillet like caulking. Be careful to wet finger in water first so you don’t burn.

Or use PVA to seal joints like caulking after the hot melt hardens and serves to tack structure together.

Glueing foamcore into a wood frame is a great idea. You get benefits of easy and clean cutting panels. Extra robustness of thin wooden frame. You still need to seal it with hot melt or caulking. But construction is sort of like model airplane building with foam core.