Mini Karlsonator (0.53X) with Dual TC9FDs

I think that this Louisson slot works pretty much as well as the spacer system I had before in terms of airiness but the woofers are much less vulnerable.
I cant be sure yet, as I've only been listening to a rubbish Sky signal thus far, but in the weekend will have a good listen. Im fairly confident that this will be as good.

Then I will set about modifying the Karlson slot. I have a new template for that; and intend doing largely what you've done Moray. The entire woofer will be visible and the slot will be much wider. I'm not really fussed how the speaker looks, but prefer the Karlson slot to a couple of slabs of foamboard.

One other thing I should fess up about. I found the bass really quite something to begin with but had forgotten I had 3dB of boost in that region from Roon DSP when listening to music from the server.

Set to level the bass is still extremely satisfying. I guess there is quite a bit of boundary effect here with the woofers in such close proximity to the floor. Might raise them up a bit and check that out.

Work begins this weekend on the first of two subwoofers; a simple 2x10-inch sealed unit with back to back Dayton RSS 265HO-44s (enclosure optimised for size -thanks GM for help with dimensions) and the second an MLTL with a 15-inch Dayton (thanks Brian Steele for direction there) but that will have to wait for another wet weekend and a DIY extension to my table saw.

Last edited:
to save material...

If you make a pair of new tapers which will roll off to the side walls of the cabinet just above the woofer but leave the gap at the top of the cabinet the same as your existing pair (and if you keep notes) you can progressively cut open the gap at the top by increments of say an eighth at a go and see what you think at each set then compare you notes an cut open you original tapers to what ever to gap you liked best. My Karlson T Line were done that way and once I got the stuffing right they presented some of the finest most realistic stage and image I have heard to date (provided the recording had captured that).

I'll try to upload some pix - Imgur says. ~"upload to your heart's content" but at 3400 plus images, I think I've wore out my welcome as access is difficult.

Attachments

• FRONT1 2X.jpg
    FRONT1 2X.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 284
  • Damping line 2.jpg
    Damping line 2.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 282
hey Luigi - - put some good headphones on and listen to my tall but otherwise regular K with a dry - clean sax recording (from Alan Parsons' "Sound Check"

High Aspect Karlson coupler with Tangband W8-1772 - Saxophone - YouTube

there's no padding in the front chamber and very little in the back. It could probably use a bit lower tuning.

I'd like to hear other FR cabinets on that track for comparisons

Regarding Moray's K-T-Line, I think the plan I have complete (?) is quite compact and for a Fostex 167E - love to hear one.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I listened to that sax clip on the Tang Band 1772. Very nice - sounds like a live recording of a saxophone. What recorder was that and was it recorded in stereo but speaker was mono? What amp did you use?

If you have a link to the track I will try to record same on one of my speakers and we can compare.

Saxophone has “horn-like” harmonics which may be particularly well suited for the Karlson.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
hi von Ah,
Here is the sim for the Audax 13LB25AL in a Karlsonator. That driver has some impressive specs. It works well in a 0.53x height and depth and reduce the width a bit to 0.47x. Here is the predicted frequency response (below 500hz is good). Looks like you can get a solid 91dB sensitivity even after baffle step loss.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 0.53x-0.47xW-Audax-13LB25AL-Karlsonator-Freq.jpg
    0.53x-0.47xW-Audax-13LB25AL-Karlsonator-Freq.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 587
Joined 2008
Paid Member
Excellent, thank you!

That looks pretty darn good for a driver expected to have minimal bass output.
And I was hoping for the K aperture to help out with high frequency dispersion.

The Karlsonator is such a versatile enclosure and hard to beat.

Would a Tabaq-like TL or Cornu/flat-wall TL work for such a driver?