Mini Karlsonator (0.53X) with Dual TC9FDs

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Carl,
Thanks for bringing up efficiency. I may have sim'd a single vs dual driver. Dual should be circa 92 dB at 2.83v.

Here is the sim with dual drivers - the box should be 0.53x or 15 in tall and 5 in wide. Efficiency is up as expected and bass extension is better now with bigger cabinet.

Attachments

• Karlsonator-8x-5x-Freq-1m.png
    Karlsonator-8x-5x-Freq-1m.png
    26.5 KB · Views: 706
OK, I'm in. Just put a check for $500 in the Christmas card your'e sending and I'll be eternally grateful. :rolleyes:

For the fun of it and to answer your comments - here are some tracks/vids to show there really is a lot on the bottom of the Karlsonator 0.53X and the dual Vifas.

The application reports overtones at a certain point, but the sound is real and continuous all the way down.

K 0.53X Sweep - 100-20 Hz

SnFlr Sweep 100 - 20 hZ

You might need some good earphones to hear the last part of this one, Very surprising!!!. K-053s on floor, 5 feet apart and 4 feet from the mike.

SPOTS at 10 Hz

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Thanks for the sound clips Bob!

I am grabbing my 10 Hz to 17 KHz dual armature IEM's (114 dB/mW sensitivity) to see if I can hear what you are talking about.

Ok, very cool - I definitely hear 30 Hz but 20 Hz sounds like, well nothing - not surprising. How loud is the 30 hz? Although audible, the distortion is probably huge.

I think a lot of it has to do with having your very amp driving it - many amps cannot handle low frequencies like this. What kind of power are you giving them?

What are you recording the sound with?

Last edited:
FWIW, I could hear down to 20, though it was pretty rolled off and not as tactile as I'm used to for such low frequency. Maybe I was hearing overtones at that point, and not the fundamental tone?

You got it right, There is little or no body to the 20 and 30 samples. I just wanted to show the cone activity at the bottom freqs. 25 drivers would probably have some heft.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I have a night off (from the wife and kid ;) ), a pair of CHR70 and boxes of FC (for furniture modelling). I'm hopping on this wagon! It sounds like a fun place to be.

Mr.X, how would the CHR fare in a .4K? Can't scale it down anymore because of driver size. Maybe narrower?

I will run a sim when I get to my computer. You want 1 driver per box right?

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
X, What uncompressed audio files can you play? PC Flac or Apple m4a. I'm using a Lexicon Omega with my phones.

I have iTunes to play m4a and Audacity can play all the other formats. I also have Sony Acid Pro if I really need to do something special. I will have to check out lexicon pro. I just started to use flac the other day and it works real nice. My digital recorder can also record native 96khz 24bit wav files.