Mini Karlsonator (0.53X) with Dual TC9FDs

Or get a TDA8932 monoblock for $3 to $4 ea. These totally sound better than Lepai 2020. The bass is very punchy.

35W TDA8932 Amplifier Board Mono Audio Power Amp Digital Module DC 12V 24VFBDU | eBay
Yes this looks like a far better solution. One again my choices were based on what I had laying around (slow basement cleaning?) And I had the heatsinks, transformer and burned out k8060 from sins almost 20 years ago..

What other class d chips are good sounding? Ta2020 <12w,TDA8932 <35w, any other that's worth mentioning?

Yes this looks like a far better solution. One again my choices were based on what I had laying around (slow basement cleaning?) And I had the heatsinks, transformer and burned out k8060 from sins almost 20 years ago..

What other class d chips are good sounding? Ta2020 <12w,TDA8932 <35w, any other that's worth mentioning?

I have some LJM L15D modules and they're really good, however overkill for the Mini Karlsonators.
150W @ 8ohm
350W @ 4ohm

Perhaps for another project or a subwoofer to fill in the lows and compliment the mini K's

Well now it's done and up and running. At least it looks good with the setup. 20190209_144052.jpeg 20190209_144326.jpeg 20190209_144339.jpeg

Last edited:
Opinion on front vs rear mounting of drivers

Does anyone have an opinion on front vs rear mounting of the drivers? I use 9mm ply.

Front mounting seems to me a better flat 'connection' to the baffle (speaker cone is not sunk in a 9mm deep hole), but I also recognize a small rear output in that case. Rear mounting gives the cone a better output backwards.

Opinions?

Steef

Attachments

• IMG_0533.jpg
    IMG_0533.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 439
  • IMG_0534.jpg
    IMG_0534.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 446
Does anyone have an opinion on front vs rear mounting of the drivers? I use 9mm ply.

Front mounting seems to me a better flat 'connection' to the baffle (speaker cone is not sunk in a 9mm deep hole), but I also recognize a small rear output in that case. Rear mounting gives the cone a better output backwards.

Opinions?

Steef
I'd say front mounting, easier access as well.

You could perhaps chamfer the rear if that's your concern?

I had a fit with speaker mounting. I thought the same things. I ended up making a frame like a picture frame out of the thicker stock and gluing that in place and then putting the speakers on thin material and screwing that whole plate over top. Outlined the edges in foam before I screwed it down. Rear mounting means you can't get the speakers out very easily. But it sure looks nice in your picture.

@xrk971, could you confirm the attached plans seem correct.
Asked a friend to help me with the 0.47x & 0.37x enclosure for the neo version.

We will update it shortly with a cut list, plan on using 6mm plywood for this build and then melamine foam etc.

Attachments

• Mini Karlsonator 0.47 and 0.37.pdf
    716 KB · Views: 143
Hey foam core conquistadors, what do you think of xps board as a construction material ? At the outset , im not a larp. I had this idea while researching panels for a dml loudspeaker. If you're familiar , some are made using pink 6mm xps foam like this Prowarm 6mm XP-Pro Insulation Board (1200mm X 600mm): Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools
Im considering this over ply for projects including karlsonators and horns as im building them in my listening room and my neighbours might appreciate a lack of circular saws etc running. They can be cut accurately using this tool YouTube
Here's where i need to draw on your knowledge people . Am i right in thinking to act effectively as a wave guide the horn should be reflective rather than damping sound waves ? ( foam being slightly spongy rather than hard ) ? If so this foam can be painted with resin to leave a hard plastic finish. Those larp people ( so i believe ) make rock hard fake armour this way? What do you think folks ?