Mini Karlsonator (0.53X) with Dual TC9FDs

Now that Karlsonator builders are able to successfully use wooden enclosures, would it make any difference sonically if the edges of the K-aperture were slightly rounded over on either or both sides? The foam core doesn’t lend itself to this treatment and this assumes the aperture gap itself doesn’t change at the center of the long edges. Since the aperture baffle is screwed on it seems like it would be easier to experiment and discover if there’s a difference. Admittedly, I have this thing about hard edges that wants to seek a rounded or soft solution even if it doesn’t make a difference in the sound.

Now that Karlsonator builders are able to successfully use wooden enclosures, would it make any difference sonically if the edges of the K-aperture were slightly rounded over on either or both sides? The foam core doesn’t lend itself to this treatment and this assumes the aperture gap itself doesn’t change at the center of the long edges. Since the aperture baffle is screwed on it seems like it would be easier to experiment and discover if there’s a difference. Admittedly, I have this thing about hard edges that wants to seek a rounded or soft solution even if it doesn’t make a difference in the sound.
Interesting question Craig, and it would be great if the experienced speaker builders can shed some light here. From just my gut feeling and the little that I have read (and understand) about baffle diffraction it certainly makes sense to round all edges. Whether it will be audible on this small scale I don't know - but even if it just gives you peace of mind (and looks better) - just do it.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I bought 8 of those 55-1595, hoping that they were identical to the PA130-8, but they are not. They have a weaker magnet so Qts is higher at 0.86 with a smaller Vs (stiffer suspension) and higher fs (140Hz), but in any event, 0.42x is too small - closer to 0.53x would be a good start. Although I have not run simulations so cannot guarantee that is the right size. My Laptop just crashed yesterday with corrupted OS image. Luckily I had backed up all my data files. Restored the OS and system but still need to install VMBox and WinXP in order to run Akabak. So cannot run sims at this moment.

Restored the OS and system but still need to install VMBox and WinXP in order to run Akabak.

Hi X. If your OS is Windows, I encourage you to use VMWare Player 15 instead. In my experience, it's much better than VMBox and is free for personal use.

Akabak runs on Win7 32-bit on my system, btw. (in VMWare Player), so no need to try and find WinXP drivers for your new hardware. If you do encounter problems with running it in Win7, try compatibility mode.

Last edited:
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Also, the original dual TC9FD 8ohms in parallel for 4ohms has deeper bass extension than dual 3FE25-16’s. If your amp can handle 4ohms, the TC9FD is still a great speaker. For single driver, the 4ohm 3FE25 is also very good. Like Perceval said, if you plan on using typical Class D amp, the 4ohm is better choice as it can get louder with limited drive voltage of small Class D amp.

I bought 8 of those 55-1595, hoping that they were identical to the PA130-8, but they are not. They have a weaker magnet so Qts is higher at 0.86 with a smaller Vs (stiffer suspension) and higher fs (140Hz), but in any event, 0.42x is too small - closer to 0.53x would be a good start. Although I have not run simulations so cannot guarantee that is the right size. My Laptop just crashed yesterday with corrupted OS image. Luckily I had backed up all my data files. Restored the OS and system but still need to install VMBox and WinXP in order to run Akabak. So cannot run sims at this moment.

I haven't finished anything using the MCMs yet, but I'm using a pair in 36" PVC tubes (4", stuffed and sealed) for testing some rear channel surround speakers. They sound great in a ~7L sealed tube. Facing upwards they have great 90° dispersion in this application. Since they needed upper frequency augmenting in the karlsonator I never got around to using them for one, and in a surround application the upper frequency is rolled off around 7~8khz anyway.

May be good with a TC9FD up top for a super low budget LXMini type of build with the right signal processing.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hi X. If your OS is Windows, I encourage you to use VMWare Player 15 instead. In my experience, it's much better than VMBox and is free for personal use.

Akabak runs on Win7 32-bit on my system, btw. (in VMWare Player), so no need to try and find WinXP drivers for your new hardware. If you do encounter problems with running it in Win7, try compatibility mode.

Hi Skylar,
Thanks for the tip, I have installed VMWare Player 15 and am now installing WinXP inside that. Forgot how slow installing a new OS is with tradtional CD-ROM and little VGA blue screen. Fingers crossed, hope it works.
Cheers and happy Xmas,
X

There is some adjustment possible of stuffing via driver cutout. You can also perform surgery with xacto after assembly. Cut small window and replace and glue back on later.

This is probably what I’ll have to do - totally failed in removing the foam from the top panel through the aperture... I may also cover the surgical hole and edges with sticky backed plastic to ensure a seal.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Akabak up and running again on WinXP inside VMWare Player 15. :)
Thanks, Skylar.
X

Interestingly, an old example on the Karlsonator that was loaded by default was the W5-2143 which seems to work well at Height and Depth scale of 0.60x and width of 0.47x.

But I don't know how to do a copy and paste from the VM buffer to the host machine. So this will let me copy an Akabak plot and paste to Win7 Paint outside of the VM?

Last edited:
Akabak up and running again on WinXP inside VMWare Player 15. :)
Thanks, Skylar.
X

You're welcome, X. I'm glad it works for you.

But I don't know how to do a copy and paste from the VM buffer to the host machine. So this will let me copy an Akabak plot and paste to Win7 Paint outside of the VM?
I can copy and paste between the host and the VM with Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V.

For an Akabak plot, copy with Alt-PrtScr and paste in Paint. Alternatively, under Edit, click Copy as bitmap.

It's also possible to set up network access between host and VM you can access the same files - if you ever need to.

Last edited: