Mini Karlsonator (0.53X) with Dual TC9FDs

I got them 95% 'finished'.

A few tweaks here and there, but they put out sound. I need to go over each joint with more PVA (I don't seem to get much in the way of bass, but that could be the tiny output transformers or lack of break in) and do some general tidying (removing the bits of glue which seeped out).

Haven't had much of a listen as I've got a hideous ground loop issue with my amp + source, and blew a MOSEFT in the control circuit... But once those are resolved we're in business!

Thanks for all the help.

Attachments

• IMG_0304.jpg
    IMG_0304.jpg
    309.4 KB · Views: 464
  • IMG_0309.jpg
    IMG_0309.jpg
    708.2 KB · Views: 451
  • IMG_0310.jpg
    IMG_0310.jpg
    349 KB · Views: 427
  • IMG_0311.jpg
    IMG_0311.jpg
    318.1 KB · Views: 427
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Nice work! The 0.40x scale Karlsonators don’t put out a lot of bass - probably down to 80Hz or so, but the sound should sound quite full and balanced and not tinny or lacking bass. If you have any air leaks in the TL, it might prevent generation of deeper bass. You did an excellent job of lining the inside with the melamine foam. How much power do you have from your hybrid amp? Is it sort of like the Estudiante amp?

my 0.53 Karlsonators

Well folks,
My first experience with the mini-Karlsonator design. I built the 0.53X version in baltic birch plywood. There are dual Faital 3FE25 16 ohm drivers in each one wired in parallel for an equivalent 8 ohm nominal impedance. Internal damping materials are exactly per X's recommendations. Melamine foam on the interior bottom and both sides of the box. Additional melamine foam along the back up to the baffle height and on the back and both sides of the bracing near the drivers. And there's foam core board on the back side of the aperture.

The attached image is what one of them looks like. The resemblance to X's earlier posts is intentional. I built all four of them to his design.

My first listening experience was almost shocking. I'm listening to a Ramsey Lewis Trio CD recorded around 1958 titled Down to Earth. The detail and clarity is exceptional. The piano, string bass, and drums never sounded better. I'm not one for superlatives, in general. All I can say is that these are keepers.

Attachments

• karlsonator_53_working.jpg
    karlsonator_53_working.jpg
    334.7 KB · Views: 416
How much power do you have from your hybrid amp? Is it sort of like the Estudiante amp?

Thanks for the kind words.

The amp is all valve - those are PCL82s, so half a 12AX7 as driver and a de-rated EL84-ish pentode in the same envelope. As for power, I'm looking at a big 1W clean! But that's fine to sit in the kitchen...

I've added plate-to-plate feedback to get lower input sensitivity. This decision may be altered once I've let things settle: GNFB might be applied with a lower level of plate-to-plate feedback to try and get some more bass. But these transformers are definitely the weakest link here!

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Well folks,
My first experience with the mini-Karlsonator design. I built the 0.53X version in baltic birch plywood. There are dual Faital 3FE25 16 ohm drivers in each one wired in parallel for an equivalent 8 ohm nominal impedance. Internal damping materials are exactly per X's recommendations. Melamine foam on the interior bottom and both sides of the box. Additional melamine foam along the back up to the baffle height and on the back and both sides of the bracing near the drivers. And there's foam core board on the back side of the aperture.

The attached image is what one of them looks like. The resemblance to X's earlier posts is intentional. I built all four of them to his design.

My first listening experience was almost shocking. I'm listening to a Ramsey Lewis Trio CD recorded around 1958 titled Down to Earth. The detail and clarity is exceptional. The piano, string bass, and drums never sounded better. I'm not one for superlatives, in general. All I can say is that these are keepers.

Great to hear that we can officially say it’s safe to build plywood Karlsonators if the proper amount of damping material is used. Thanks for the listening impressions. The speaker is definitely “a keeper”. :)

I got a buddy who would like a pair of speakers for his outdoor terrace restaurant.

There's a roof, but 3 sides are opened, the last wall is the restaurant wall towards the inside.

I'd like to try dual mini-ks, but I can only mount the boxes in the top corners, higher up near the roof. Angling the boxes down only bring the woofers parallel to the wall, not facing down, due to the angled mounting of the drivers.

Would it be ok to mount the boxes upside down? How would that affect radiation pattern?

Since the drivers are angled in the box, I could just mount the boxes flat on the wall, but upside down. That way, drivers would face down a bit.

Would be great to get the TG9, but I would need to buy at least 2,016 units.... not going to happen!

Yes, the TC9 does have that shiny coating on them, and I'm hoping they will stand up to the 98% humidity we get almost year long... plus the salt in the air. That's where the plastic frame comes in handy.