Mini Karlsonator (0.53X) with Dual TC9FDs

Hi, sorry to bother you again. I am following this thread for some time and I am a happy owner of 0.4x single 3fe25 karlsonator.
Today I bought my second pair in order to upgrade to dual 0.53x 3fe25 (8 ohms variants, I ll connect them in parallel for 4 ohms), but I need some help regarding the right dimensions for 0.53x.

My questions is, should I follow mudjester's plans, or these on post 198 (autocad file) for 0,53x? There are some differences, mainly in height and in baffle dimensions.

With mudjesters plans I have to move up the lower driver about 1 cm, as it hits the base (baffle length is 182mm) witch leaves almost no place for the driver to breathe. Since the diameter of each driver is 8 cm, so 16 for a pair, plus 2 cm for the lower driver just to fit in, in touch with the base, which leaves just 2mm between the two drivers. If I increase the angle on mudjester's plans at 70 degrees, things are a little better, but I don't know if this is right. As I recall, another user had the same problem and he moved the drivers up a bit (for 1 cm and 0.57 cm) but he complained about missing bass and poor performance.

PDF file inpost 198 shows a larger baffle length at 192mm, which allows me to move the drivers up a bit, keepin some distance between them.

I thinking of following the drawing in post 198, yet for another reason, which is that the board dimensions come at 100X70 cm here in Greece (and probably hole Europe) so if someone is following mudjester's plans has to do some modifications.

So I just need your advice on dimensions, as this built is going to stay with my for a long time, since my budget is :wchair:

Thanks in advance.

Finished. My dual 3fe25 0.53x are up and running.

It took me about 6 hours to make them but most of the time was spent trying to properly cut and fold the foam board.

I used thick black paper to cover the baffle and they look beautiful.

The sound is definately the best I have ever heard in my house. Thanks again xrk.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Finished. My dual 3fe25 0.53x are up and running.

It took me about 6 hours to make them but most of the time was spent trying to properly cut and fold the foam board.

I used thick black paper to cover the baffle and they look beautiful.

The sound is definately the best I have ever heard in my house. Thanks again xrk.

You are most welcome, and thanks for taking the plunge to build it. 6 hrs is not bad - and you did it all without a wood workshop. No sawdust!

If you have any photos, please share!

Cheers,
X

I've finished one speaker so far following muddjesters plans with white foamboard, sounds alot better then the previous one i made with the black foamboard, the white one is much sturdier.

I'm halfway on the second speaker but i attached a piece a few mm wrong, i was gonna cut the piece away and took a new razorblade, was pretty rough cutting through the glue and when i came through the glue i also managed to go all the way through the finger, splitting it in the top all the way to the bone.

Made the place look like a horrormovie, sprayed three of the walls of the living room almost all the way to the roof and sprayed the floor of the bedroom almost all the way to the wall, and this was just me cutting myself and going to the bathroom to clean it off, lesson learned.

Will finish the build today if i have time, unfortunately i bloodied down the speaker a bit but fortunately it was mostly on the inside.

Since the speakers are looking a bit messy now with bloodstains and all i was thinking of maybe covering them with a vinyl sheet, i can't imagine that having any negative impact on the speaker right?

I've finished one speaker so far following muddjesters plans with white foamboard, sounds alot better then the previous one i made with the black foamboard, the white one is much sturdier.

I'm halfway on the second speaker but i attached a piece a few mm wrong, i was gonna cut the piece away and took a new razorblade, was pretty rough cutting through the glue and when i came through the glue i also managed to go all the way through the finger, splitting it in the top all the way to the bone.

Made the place look like a horrormovie, sprayed three of the walls of the living room almost all the way to the roof and sprayed the floor of the bedroom almost all the way to the wall, and this was just me cutting myself and going to the bathroom to clean it off, lesson learned.

Will finish the build today if i have time, unfortunately i bloodied down the speaker a bit but fortunately it was mostly on the inside.

Since the speakers are looking a bit messy now with bloodstains and all i was thinking of maybe covering them with a vinyl sheet, i can't imagine that having any negative impact on the speaker right?

:eek:

Jeez dude!

Just a quick photo with my build. I have found that they sound better there, near the wall. IMG_20180508_203436.jpg

The MCM 55-1595 has a very low Vas and the only Karlsonator that works is a 0.42x with a single driver. All configurations with multiple drivers will require a box that has too much volume in order to fit the multiple bezels in. As a single driver unit, it has nice response and can handle a lot of power and good 88dB sensitivity.

Measured T/S are:

Re=7.36ohm
Fs=137Hz
Qts=0.84
Qms=3.07
Qes=1.158
Le=0.265mH
Mms=5.48g
Vas=1.75L

OTOH, the very low Vas of 1.75L means this is the perfect driver for the the sealed little mini cube mix monitors.
@xrk971, did you get round to making a 0.42 with single MCM 55-1595? I've got a couple of these drivers that a friend is interested in buying from me. I may not get time to play with them for a couple of months. So I was wondering if you feel it worth hanging onto them if there is a chance I could build a couple of sweet little Ks?

I have plans to make a pair of 0.4x using Faital Pro 3FE25A as a single driver. The speakers will be made out of 10mm plywood using almost identical plans that Blaides made. The specifications for the 4 and 8 Ohm drivers are slightly different but I have no experience with building speakers so any help with deciding which one to buy is much appreciated. Link to the driver specification page here: FaitalPRO | LF Loudspeakers | 3FE25

My second and last question is whether I should use hot glue with plywood as material or are there better alternatives here?

Thanks in advance and I just have to say that what you do here is really amazing :D