Mini Karlsonator (0.53X) with Dual TC9FDs

The MCM 55-1595 has a very low Vas and the only Karlsonator that works is a 0.42x with a single driver. All configurations with multiple drivers will require a box that has too much volume in order to fit the multiple bezels in. As a single driver unit, it has nice response and can handle a lot of power and good 88dB sensitivity.

Measured T/S are:

Re=7.36ohm
Fs=137Hz
Qts=0.84
Qms=3.07
Qes=1.158
Le=0.265mH
Mms=5.48g
Vas=1.75L

OTOH, the very low Vas of 1.75L means this is the perfect driver for the the sealed little mini cube mix monitors.

Somehow I missed this last night.

Do you think simply building the 0.4x score and fold plans, with a half inch more width would work? Could make for a quick build with less math ;)

Doesn't look too bad at all. Assuming one were to build one up, and used a simple line level crossover, where would you say is a good point to put the crossover point? Looks like somewhere around 12khz would be a good start, with something like an active -12dB line level (trivial to build) and a capacitor feeding the higher frequency driver will set it close to -18dB overall. I've got a pair of GRS piezo k-tubes I'm itching to try out :)

Hello X,

Busy is good! We do less foolish things when we are busy! :)

Still... it's ok to take a breather once a while... no point in harming your health.

So, I've got some numbers for my little driver.

After relaxing and sipping some wine on the couch listening to your nice speakers, if you get bored, I'd like to know if this little driver would be a good candidate for a mini-K. :)

No rush.

Take care.

attachment.php

Attachments

• bamboo TS params.png
    bamboo TS params.png
    47.9 KB · Views: 499
Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hello X,

Busy is good! We do less foolish things when we are busy! :)

Still... it's ok to take a breather once a while... no point in harming your health.

So, I've got some numbers for my little driver.

After relaxing and sipping some wine on the couch listening to your nice speakers, if you get bored, I'd like to know if this little driver would be a good candidate for a mini-K. :)

No rush.

Take care.

677808d1525052939-mini-karlsonator-0-53x-dual-tc9fds-bamboo-ts-params-png

Hi Perceval,
Sure, will take a look at it. If you can put the TS params in this format it will save me some time and activation energy to get started.

Re=7.36ohm
Fs=137Hz
Qts=0.84
Qms=3.07
Qes=1.158
Le=0.265mH
Mms=5.48g
Vas=1.75L

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Updating to 0.42 would be easy. I'll try to do that tonight.

However, I may not have time to put together the cut diagrams. I may replace the diagrams with just part dimensions, not fit into 20x30 sheets.

That would be fine and most appreciated. Putting them into 20x30 sheets is a lot babysitting and I think folks should be able to handle that.

Thanks again!
X

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Ok, here it is as listed:

Re=5.75ohm
Fs=62Hz
Qts=0.51
Qms=2.71
Qes=0.63
Le=0.157mH
Mms=not given by DATS
Vas=6.65L

I don't know how to get Mms. I'll have to look it up.

I think Mms comes from fact that I use the added mass method to get Vas. If you use the known volume box method to get Vas, you don’t have it. Having either Vas or MMs is enough I think.

For added mass I use silly putty shaped as donut to fit on dustcap cone interface. I measure mass with digital gram postal scale. Silly putty silicone based and is tacky and leaves no harmful residue on sensitive surfaces. Don’t get it on porous fabrics though it will never come out.